Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 02:03 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He pled guilty and they didn't take the death penalty off the table?

THAT is unusual. At that point, why plead guilty? What are they gonna do? Kill you twice?
Because no jury is going to find him not guilty. That is just not in the realm of possibility. The best the defense can hope for is life without parole. But the prosecutor is too big an ******* to agree to that.

The defendant is paying for his own defence. So by pleading guilty, he can save his funds for the death penalty phase, where it will do the most good, and get him the results he wants.

The majority of Florida residents favor life without parole over the death penalty. So the best the prosecution can hope for is the get 5 out of the 12 jurors to vote for the death penalty. They would need 12 out of 12 for a death sentence. So the verdict will be life without parole, which is what the defence is wanting.

The real losers will be the jurors who will have to sit through this, and lose six months of wages, and the taxpayers who will have to pay for this pointless trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 02:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I am SURE it's a lie lol... She looks like she could be 60.
No way is she SIXTY, I'm 54 & I'm sure she is younger than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I am 1000 times hotter than that old lady. I should go get me a SD
I'm quite disappointed that I don't have a Sugar Daddy. I could really use one & I bet I'd be good at it. Sigh.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:54 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Because no jury is going to find him not guilty. That is just not in the realm of possibility. The best the defense can hope for is life without parole. But the prosecutor is too big an ******* to agree to that.

The defendant is paying for his own defence. So by pleading guilty, he can save his funds for the death penalty phase, where it will do the most good, and get him the results he wants.

The majority of Florida residents favor life without parole over the death penalty. So the best the prosecution can hope for is the get 5 out of the 12 jurors to vote for the death penalty. They would need 12 out of 12 for a death sentence. So the verdict will be life without parole, which is what the defence is wanting.

The real losers will be the jurors who will have to sit through this, and lose six months of wages, and the taxpayers who will have to pay for this pointless trial.

Well, especially if they DO return a death verdict and Florida then can't execute him.

SC just brought back the Electric Chair and Firing Squad as execution options since they can't get the lethal injection drugs. Some states are just not carrying out death sentences until they can procure the drugs, which.. It seems they won't be able to do.

But.. Wow. Yeah, it's just pretty rare to plead guilty and still face death. But.. I didn't realize which case this was, so.. That makes more sense as to why the prosecutor is pushing.

Not that it wouldn't make more sense to just go with life for the financial reasons you mention. Keeping him locked up for 70 years will likely be cheaper than this trial/sentencing/whatever the technical term is which will probably wind up with him being locked up for however long he lasts.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Well, especially if they DO return a death verdict and Florida then can't execute him.

SC just brought back the Electric Chair and Firing Squad as execution options since they can't get the lethal injection drugs. Some states are just not carrying out death sentences until they can procure the drugs, which.. It seems they won't be able to do.

But.. Wow. Yeah, it's just pretty rare to plead guilty and still face death. But.. I didn't realize which case this was, so.. That makes more sense as to why the prosecutor is pushing.

Not that it wouldn't make more sense to just go with life for the financial reasons you mention. Keeping him locked up for 70 years will likely be cheaper than this trial/sentencing/whatever the technical term is which will probably wind up with him being locked up for however long he lasts.
There is a case in Western PA where two guys were sentenced to death in 1981. One finally died in prison. The other one is still on death row pending appeals. There was no question of their guilt in the murders of 4 people. They called it the Kill for Thrill murders. This article details the case:

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...killing-spree/

With the Cruz case, I don't understand why the sentencing trial is expected to last from June until September. If he gets the death sentence, he will likely appeal anyways.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
This young man cannot control his anger issues because of his gestation
Fetal alcohol syndrome happens during pregnancy
The child is born with a physical, mental, psychological limitation that probably can never be corrected
Sometimes never even mitigated
It is like blaming a child for being color blind—a genetic derived physical condition

Old 04-13-2022, 09:42 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
This young man cannot control his anger issues because of his gestation
Fetal alcohol syndrome happens during pregnancy
The child is born with a physical, mental, psychological limitation that probably can never be corrected
Sometimes never even mitigated
It is like blaming a child for being color blind—a genetic derived physical condition
If what you are saying is true that he can't control his anger issues and this can't ever be corrected, then he should have been locked up from the day he was born to protect society from his anger and lack of control of his actions.

If a person is judged to be so socially unfit that they can't function in society and can't be held responsible for their actions, then they shouldn't be allowed to roam freely where they will be a danger to everyone else. Why wait until he murders 17 people and THEN decide he needs to be locked up?

As I see it, his parents and all authority figures in his life apparently decided that he wasn't all that dangerous and that he could be accountable for his actions. So, since that was the decision, then he should be held responsible for his actions. If the death penalty is one of the options for his crimes, then he should be subject to it just like everyone else. Otherwise, the message that we send is that anyone born with some "problem" has an automatic excuse for anything they do in life regardless how horrendous or damaging it may be to others.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
I just say, I believe that all layers and level of Government operate as a domestic terrorist origination as there main goal is to steal my $$ and provide nothing in return to myself. In my mind no one is guilty since a judge who In my eyes is a domestic terrorist is over seeing the case.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
I think I might try that.

I wanted to be on jury duty for YEARS. I would have received my full salary. Compared to my work, jury duty would have been a vacation. But no.

Now I'm retired & have a letter from my MD stating that I have a chronic medical condition that precludes me from serving...they must not understand the definition of "chronic", or, considering where I live, think it has a different meaning, because they keep bugging me.

Either way, if I get called again, here's my out.

Disclaimer, I am not familiar with this crime, don't come after me.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:51 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:

That too. The odds are 99% that he won't get the death penalty. But if somehow it happens and he does get a death sentence, then the odds would be 99% that he will never be executed. The trial is a waste of time and money.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:43 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I would not want her to sit on my jury anyway. Prefer someone with a decent amount of IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events