Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 01:08 PM

20,007 posts, read 9,544,261 times

Advertisements

WARNING: The following is absolutely sickening.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-hang-up-calls

This explains why I think that it would be better for some children not to have been born at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 03:41 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,248,371 times
I'm not excusing what she did, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a mental evaluation, and perhaps pleads some kind of insanity defense.

Sounds like she was somewhat unhinged when she did what she did. It's always so sad to me when I hear about things like this. Really taps in to the whole world-weariness aspect.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:34 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,760,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'm not excusing what she did, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a mental evaluation, and perhaps pleads some kind of insanity defense.

Sounds like she was somewhat unhinged when she did what she did. It's always so sad to me when I hear about things like this. Really taps in to the whole world-weariness aspect.

I'll be surprised if she is not moved to a mental ward. Sounds like she didn't say a word at her court hearing, like she was stunned or something. Read the articles below, especially the 2nd and third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
WARNING: The following is absolutely sickening.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-hang-up-calls

This explains why I think that it would be better for some children not to have been born at all.

I found a few better articles with more information. Cops are saying she was either in some sort of crisis or hallucinating.

The article below says the father, Frantzy Belval, had reported her to CPS but LE have not confirmed it to be true. He's said the kids names are Laura age 5 and Jeffrey who was 3. He went to the home with two large photos of his children and is left wondering what happened that made her murder his kids. Sounds like he was asked if she ever threatened to kill the kids, he said no. Of course it's hard for him to talk to reporters following the murder of his kids. According to the 3rd article, she tried calling the father twice but he was at work on the day she killed the kids. Sounds like she did not leave a message so he never called her back to see what she wanted. It also says that a few weeks ago she had left the kids with a sitter for 3 days.

They are saying there have been unrelated calls, in 2017 she was arrested for battery against her husband, then in the part year, she signed a domestic violence i9njunction against him which was granted, then trespassing and a few disturbance calls.

The second article says that she also has a 14 year old daughter who was removed from her home in December, it's thought that her daughters removal had something to do with the murders.

Mother arrested in death of two children after police found them tied up in Miami home - Updated: 7:24 AM EDT Apr 14, 2022

Quote:
Odette Lysse Joassaint is charged with two counts of first-degree murder, according to the Miami Police Department.

The two children, ages 3 and 5, were found tied to a bed. Police tried to resuscitate them until a Miami Fire Rescue Crew arrived and they were pronounced dead.

Joassaint appeared to be hallucinating or in a crisis, police told WPBF 25 News's ABC affiliate WPLG.

Mother accused of killing her 2 children in Little Haiti - Published: April 12, 2022, 10:21 PM - Updated: April 14, 2022, 6:53 AM
Father of children in disbelief: ‘Odette not supposed to do that’

Quote:
Joassaint was seen being removed from the scene on a stretcher. Her statement to detectives was redacted from the publicly released arrest report.

It is that mother’s friend Hermione Danjour who believes losing her 14-year-old daughter to DCF may have caused her to mentally break down.

“She got another daughter too that is 14 that has not been living with her since December, which means that affected her mental issue,” Danjour said.

Neighbors, meanwhile, were shocked that something like this could happen.

“They were always inside the house. They always go to school, like you know, normal kids,” one neighbor said. “I seen them a couple days ago. I said hi to them like I always do -- give them fist bumps, but it’s just sad that like ... still kind of, like, surprising.”

Father of 2 children found dead in Miami apartment describes rocky relationship with mother charged in their murder - April 13, 2022

Quote:
MIAMI (WSVN) - A grieving South Florida father opened up about the circumstances that led up to the killing of his two children, as their mother sits in jail after she was charged with murder.

Speaking with 7News Wednesday evening, Frantzy Belval struggled to process what happened.

“I don’t feel so good now. I don’t feel so good,” he said.

“When I get home last night, the police come, they say they want to talk to me, they say, ‘We’re sorry. You lost your two kids,'” he said.

The arrest report states the children were found “lying in bed in a prone position, with their arms, legs and necks tied.”

Belval said things seemed odd a few weeks ago when Joassaint left both children in the care of a babysitter for several days.

“Why, you not going to work? You’re home, and then you don’t work in the night. Why you leave the kids [with] the babysitter for three days?” he said.

When asked to give a possible reason behind the murders, Belval, replied, “I don’t know exactly why she killed my kids for.”

Just a few weeks ago, pictures taken at a birthday party showed the mother smiling as she sat next to her children.

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-15-2022 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-15-2022, 10:52 AM

102,323 posts, read 108,528,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be surprised if she is not moved to a mental ward. Sounds like she didn't say a word at her court hearing, like she was stunned or something. Read the articles below, especially the 2nd and third.
They don't have those anymore, remember? Not for long-term residency, AFAIK.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:47 PM

18,271 posts, read 14,480,921 times
I think the 14 year old that was recently removed was probably the one keeping these kids alive. Once she was out of the picture, these kids didn't have a chance anymore.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:14 AM

22,442 posts, read 29,604,162 times
Beyond horrible

Old 04-18-2022, 10:20 AM

9,948 posts, read 7,847,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't have those anymore, remember? Not for long-term residency, AFAIK.
Of course they still have psych wards and psych hospitals. Lori Vallow Daybell was recently released from one to go back to jail for killing her children and 4th husband.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:06 AM

51,271 posts, read 36,934,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Of course they still have psych wards and psych hospitals. Lori Vallow Daybell was recently released from one to go back to jail for killing her children and 4th husband.
Yes, and John Hinckley, who shot Reagan, was also in one. These might have been forensic hospitals for the criminally insane though. They don't have long term residential hospitals for the mentally ill that haven't committed crimes anymore, though, at least I don't think so.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:32 AM

9,948 posts, read 7,847,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, and John Hinckley, who shot Reagan, was also in one. These might have been forensic hospitals for the criminally insane though. They don't have long term residential hospitals for the mentally ill that haven't committed crimes anymore, though, at least I don't think so.
I don't know how long term the psych hospitals might be. My granddaughter has been in a few facilities. There is a psychiatric hospital near us and I know one person who had to stay there several months. And of course many regular hospitals have psych wards where they can keep patients a few days for observation, testing and then refer them for more help.

I agree that there aren't many permanent living choices. Mostly group homes or living alone with family checking in. Trying to give them as normal a life as possible rather than locking them up while keeping everyone safe. It's a dilemma.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:28 AM

51,271 posts, read 36,934,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't know how long term the psych hospitals might be. My granddaughter has been in a few facilities. There is a psychiatric hospital near us and I know one person who had to stay there several months. And of course many regular hospitals have psych wards where they can keep patients a few days for observation, testing and then refer them for more help.

I agree that there aren't many permanent living choices. Mostly group homes or living alone with family checking in. Trying to give them as normal a life as possible rather than locking them up while keeping everyone safe. It's a dilemma.
The problem with group homes is there’s no one to be accountable to. Not enough resources to have people making sure they’re ok and taking meds etc. I understand about why they wanted to close a lot of the hospitals, but they never put a different kind of program fully in place to replace them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events