Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:16 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I would never do speed now at my age as I'd be concerned about heart issues. Then again I wouldn't do any of the drugs now I did then, except pot. And maybe an occasional quaalude for a rousing romantic weekend with my bf if they were still available.

According to google, 'ludes were outlawed in 1984.

What is a Quaalude today?

Quote:
Because of its high abuse potential, the DEA outlawed it in 1984. Today, Quaalude is an illegal drug that goes by many names, such as Mandies and Quack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right but without the demand there wouldn’t be a market for it in the first place.

I think it was better when addicts could get opioids that were legally manufactured and regulated.

I don't know of any addicts that started with opioids. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I don't know anyone who has. Opioids get expensive pretty quick. There's also been shortages of them on the street.

As I've said in another thread, my almost 30 year old daughter has lost a lot of friends and classmates to heroine. She's recently lost a few to fentanyl which is some nasty stuff. I was given a patch form of it, it made my heart race, I was then wide awake for 48 hours after taking it off of my skin. People she knows never took opioids unless they were in chronic pain from a failed spine surgery like one of her friends with scoliosis where the rod hurts her, especially after she started having kids. She has other pain issues too. Her mother also has pain issues, she's in a wheelchair.

The ones with pain from legit health issues that were kicked out of pain management that started taking heroine is because buying percocet at street prices is way more expensive than heroine.

People with legit health issues have been getting kicked out of pain management pretty hot and heavy in the last year or so. I can't count how many I know who were cut off when they supposedly failed a drug screen with meds that some have allergies to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Has it really? Was it really that bad in the 80s and prior? Or was it more just a niche crowd that was into it? I for one dont know anyone ever done drugs. When Giuliani was Mayor in NYC, the homeless population dropped severely. I dont think I even saw any when he was mayor.

Our current drug epidemic seems to coincide with the rise of illegal immigration from Mexico/Central America. And that probably makes sense, as that is where the drugs originate from. Stop the illegal immigration, vet all the immigrants properly, and you will see this problem get lessen geometrically and under control.

Were drugs bad in the 80's? They were very plentiful. You could get whatever you wanted very easy when you went to school, someone was always selling something. When I was in North Jersey, there were stores where you could buy all sorts of things like rolling papers, bongs, pill crushers.

Pot, uppers like speed, valium, quaaludes, all sorts of acid, cocaine, pot, angel dust, hash. We used to be able to easily buy cigarettes too, they were for our parent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Sure it was bad in the 80's. But it was more about cocaine then, as I remember it. But heroin has always been around too.

Yeah, coke was really big when I was 17 or 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 10:21 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,159 times
It's a good thing the federal administration has tight border restrictions to keep more of this stuff from coming into the country.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:12 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
According to google, 'ludes were outlawed in 1984.

What is a Quaalude today?

I don't know of any addicts that started with opioids. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I don't know anyone who has. Opioids get expensive pretty quick. There's also been shortages of them on the street.

As I've said in another thread, my almost 30 year old daughter has lost a lot of friends and classmates to heroine. She's recently lost a few to fentanyl which is some nasty stuff. I was given a patch form of it, it made my heart race, I was then wide awake for 48 hours after taking it off of my skin. People she knows never took opioids unless they were in chronic pain from a failed spine surgery like one of her friends with scoliosis where the rod hurts her, especially after she started having kids. She has other pain issues too. Her mother also has pain issues, she's in a wheelchair.

The ones with pain from legit health issues that were kicked out of pain management that started taking heroine is because buying percocet at street prices is way more expensive than heroine.

People with legit health issues have been getting kicked out of pain management pretty hot and heavy in the last year or so. I can't count how many I know who were cut off when they supposedly failed a drug screen with meds that some have allergies to.

Were drugs bad in the 80's? They were very plentiful. You could get whatever you wanted very easy when you went to school, someone was always selling something. When I was in North Jersey, there were stores where you could buy all sorts of things like rolling papers, bongs, pill crushers.

Pot, uppers like speed, valium, quaaludes, all sorts of acid, cocaine, pot, angel dust, hash. We used to be able to easily buy cigarettes too, they were for our parent...

Yeah, coke was really big when I was 17 or 18.
Yes, I know Quaaludes are no longer made, that’s why I said “if they were still a available”.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:17 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
It's a good thing the federal administration has tight border restrictions to keep more of this stuff from coming into the country.
35,000 trucks cross the US border from Mexico every day bringing us goods (produce, car parts, food such as Hershey bars from US companies that manufacture in Mexico, etc). It would be impossible to search every one of them from head to toe.

https://resources.coyote.com/source/...r-mexico-guide

It is not coming over by individuals on foot to the degree that it comes over in shipments of goods. There is simply too much of it in every state in the country for that to be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events