Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 07:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
after reading the article - that is what I thought also. He had one of his friends do it? They did say it looked like it was planned and not just a spur of the moment thing.

Just glad the baby is safe.
It would have to be... who would just happen to be walking past an apartment, see someone carry a baby in and then walk back out to their car, and on the spur of the moment think, "I'm just gonna take this"? I mean, it's a baby, not a Rolex or computer; you're not gonna grab it on an impulse and take it to the pawn shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 07:39 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
It would have to be... who would just happen to be walking past an apartment, see someone carry a baby in and then walk back out to their car, and on the spur of the moment think, "I'm just gonna take this"? I mean, it's a baby, not a Rolex or computer; you're not gonna grab it on an impulse and take it to the pawn shop.
It happens. There are plenty of sick, disgusting people who take babies and children in spur of the moment opportunities like that one. The grandmother was extremely lucky it wasn't that type of person.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:54 PM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Oh good I’m glad the baby was found. The articles I saw on this earlier today didn’t make it seem like the baby had been found. I was really thinking what an awful thing to happen. It did unfortunately happen but thankfully he was found safe.

I can see why someone would want a 3 month old baby particularly if they couldn’t have one of their own. There are sick people out there then of course slave trade\sex trade industry comes to mind. So scary that it all happened while the grandmother was unloading groceries from the car. I can’t even remember what I did when my kids were babies as I unloaded groceries. I think I put the kids in house first then went out and got groceries but if they were sleeping and it was nice out I maybe left them in car as I did it and didn’t think twice about it. Driveway was right next to house.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:09 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This is awful:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...spect/2873844/

my first thought was the father but he is in jail. I suppose he still could have sent someone. I am actually it was hoping it was the father because anyone else it seems unlikely the baby will be found.
I am THRILLED TO DEATH that that woman, Gloria, called the police when she saw the van with the baby carrier in it and it didn't seem right to her. I so wish more people would do that when something doesn't seem right.

Quote:
I can see why someone would want a 3 month old baby particularly if they couldn’t have one of their own.
Or they would sell it to someone who can't have one of their own. That is not unheard of. If the kidnapper wasn't related, that is most likely what was going on.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:25 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
It happens. There are plenty of sick, disgusting people who take babies and children in spur of the moment opportunities like that one. The grandmother was extremely lucky it wasn't that type of person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Or they would sell it to someone who can't have one of their own. That is not unheard of. If the kidnapper wasn't related, that is most likely what was going on.
Quote:
I can see why someone would want a 3 month old baby particularly if they couldn’t have one of their own. There are sick people out there then of course slave trade\sex trade industry comes to mind.
I wouldn't say there are "plenty" of people who steal unrelated babies. No, it's not unheard-of, but it's extremely rare. The vast majority of kidnappings/abductions are by relatives. There are way, WAY more strangers who would steal the car, or the groceries, than the baby. And the chances that one of the very few people who WOULD steal a baby just happened to be passing by at that moment and observed Grandma take the baby into the house and then go back for groceries? And just happened to be carrying an empty baby carrier to put the baby in? Practically nil. This was very obviously planned.

Quote:
In the US, 2300 children are reported missing per day
Strangers abduct less than 1% of missing children
Parents are accountable for over 90% of abductions
https://safeatlast.co/blog/child-abduction-statistics/

I'm not saying that parents shouldn't be careful, just that they shouldn't be paranoid and go around with the mindset that there are predators all around just waiting for you to look the other way so they can grab your baby. One of my sisters was afraid to take her baby to the grocery store because she feared that someone would snatch him out of the cart while she was busy picking something off the shelf. And that's not reasonable or healthy.

Last edited by saibot; 04-26-2022 at 09:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2022, 07:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They said mom was at work.
Oh. I missed that.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:26 AM

Im not saying many people would still a baby...but they're out there...clearly.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:04 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wouldn't say there are "plenty" of people who steal unrelated babies. No, it's not unheard-of, but it's extremely rare. The vast majority of kidnappings/abductions are by relatives. There are way, WAY more strangers who would steal the car, or the groceries, than the baby. And the chances that one of the very few people who WOULD steal a baby just happened to be passing by at that moment and observed Grandma take the baby into the house and then go back for groceries? And just happened to be carrying an empty baby carrier to put the baby in? Practically nil. This was very obviously planned.
I'm not sure why you quoted me because I didn't say that.

There are many cases of "related and unrelated but known to the family" abductions that end up as homicides, some never to be solved, from those random "stealthy" opportunities. And more recently there seems to be an up rise of attempted kidnappings, by strangers, going on just this year. There are far more "attempted" kidnappings by strangers that are not included in that 1%. The majority being people who are actually "passing by" unattended children playing or walking outside.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:22 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Real brain trust to think that they could get away with this considering they'd be the prime suspects from the start and of course there are cameras *everywhere*.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:47 AM

well here is a sad story:

https://patch.com/wisconsin/hudson-w...mpaign=2077437

Not sure I should even create a new thread. I saw this pop up and was hoping for a good outcome. I think I am getting a lot of kidnapping stories because a 17 yo girl in my town went missing sunday, she was found monday...but clearly my internet searches are sending me all this happy news now. so awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events