Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 11:08 AM

50,954 posts, read 36,657,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Just a reminder to dog owners (I am a dog owner, too): There is no such thing as 100% dog recall. Dogs respond as trained most of the time, depending on the training and the dog breed. But even a trained dog can and will do something different, depending on the circumstances. Dogs are instinctual and will respond accordingly at times, depending on the distraction and the circumstances, regardless of training. Dogs are also pack animals and will generally go along with whatever the pack leaders do, despite training. You can't train out the basic nature of any animal 100%. Animals obey because they want to, not because they have to. And that's not 100% of the time...if a rabbit runs by, the dog may react instinctively and give chase, no matter how much its owner commands/requests it to stay put.

"No form of training will produce perfect dogs 100 percent of the time. In law enforcement, if a police dog makes a mistake, people (or the dog) can get hurt." https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/tr...itive-methods/
I tell one of our neighbors this all the time. He brings his dog over off the leash all the time when he comes to see my bf. I don't want it here off the leash. We have 2 cats, and the last time he was here he almost got in the house as I was opening the door to go outside, with my cat a foot away. He always says "I can control him" and "he's used to cats", however my little baby girl would react in terror if he caught her by surprise, and there is no way to tell how the dog will react if she lashed out at him scratching his face or something. It would be instinctual and instant. I also don't want to take the chance that he bites the Amazon delivery guy or something, and we are liable because it's our property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 12:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Well then does that apply to human attacking another human, of course not. So I don't see why that can't be fought. Even if the dog doesn't have a history of biting and or attacking it still happened to a human who got attacked.

I would not give two you know what's what the law says had that been my 3 year old. I would fight that, find a loophole somewhere to make the owner responsible. Dogs should be chained in a fenced in yard. Especially when the owner is not in the yard with them. I would fight to get that law changed. Shame the parents can't do that. I hope some day soon someone does in all states.
I made it clear that I wasn't arguing FOR the decision in question; just pointing out how it was arrived at.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:47 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
This is another horrific attack when this young girl entered the home. No time no chance to run out before they got to her. This young lady is entirely to forgiving. There was a sign on the front door but I can't find that yet. I don't recall seeing it in the video below. Sorry I don't know how to get the video here so I cut and pasted the address. I believe these two should be held responsible criminally also. Having a child makes no difference me when it comes to being criminally negligent/responsible. They knew those dogs were a threat and only one time with the owners present was not at all nearly sufficient for this young lady to know how dangerous they are.

I think because there are so many people breeding dogs they are not making sure they are properly raised and not paying attention to how it's possible the DNA of a pitbull specifically created/bred to kill is why there are more attacks like these. Some dogs are not meant to breed with another breed, especially the pit bull which is a specific breed IMHO to kill in dog fighting rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQyM1ZXkYs&t=161s
Jesus. This is horrific.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:42 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I used to have an extreme, mostly irrational fear of dogs. I now live with two. They are my housemates dogs and I oet sit when the house mates go away. However, a few weeks ago, I was setting up to take a photograph of a train that was about five miles away and coming my way. It was an area I had not shot before and there were houses on the opposite side of the street I was on.

Suddenly I heard a barking that conjured up memories of Cujo. I looked toward the sound and there were two pits bulls running as fast as they could right at me. I looked toward where the car was parked. My house mate was still getting his camera to come join me. There was no way in hell I was making it to the car with my prosthetic right leg through high grass.

Suddenly I heard a woman yell the names of her dogs (names I can't recall) and "get back." They imediately stopped running, turned around and went back to her. I was never more thankful for well-trained dogs than that day.
I have a Louisiana Catahoula that I always thought was well trained. I could walk her without a leash and she wouldn't leave my side. However, one day I was at my neighbor's with her in their front yard and something spooked her and she ran all the way home despite me calling her over and over. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and would never bite anybody but she almost got hit by a car running back to my house. That reminded me that despite being well trained she's still a dog and she will behave like a dog at certain times.

I have been bitten by three dogs in my life: a Chihuahua, a toy Poodle and a German Shepherd. Two out of the three was my own fault and I learned a valuable lesson about dogs from those encounters.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:55 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,742,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I used to have an extreme, mostly irrational fear of dogs. I now live with two. They are my housemates dogs and I oet sit when the house mates go away. However, a few weeks ago, I was setting up to take a photograph of a train that was about five miles away and coming my way. It was an area I had not shot before and there were houses on the opposite side of the street I was on.

Suddenly I heard a barking that conjured up memories of Cujo. I looked toward the sound and there were two pits bulls running as fast as they coud right at me. I looked toward where the car was parked. My house mate was still getting his camera to come join me. There was no way in hell I was making it to the car with my prosthetic right leg through high grass.

Suddenly I heard a woman yell the names of her dogs (names I can't recall) and "get back." They imediatelystopped running, turned around and went back to her. I was never more thankful for well-trained dogs than that day.
Wow. I run a local trail here sometimes and occasionally there will be people with dogs where their owners let them roam unleashed. It's not a trail in the middle of nowhere, it's in the main district downtown. I specifically carry a pocket knife on me at all times for incidents like the one you describe. While fending off two pit bulls would be a battle for the ages, I'd give it all I had with no sympathy toward the dog(s) who attacked me.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:19 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,158,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have a Louisiana Catahoula that I always thought was well trained. I could walk her without a leash and she wouldn't leave my side. However, one day I was at my neighbor's with her in their front yard and something spooked her and she ran all the way home despite me calling her over and over. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and would never bite anybody but she almost got hit by a car running back to my house. That reminded me that despite being well trained she's still a dog and she will behave like a dog at certain times.

I have been bitten by three dogs in my life: a Chihuahua, a toy Poodle and a German Shepherd. Two out of the three was my own fault and I learned a valuable lesson about dogs from those encounters.
Me too. 2 were my fault, one was a 235 pound Mastiff and a blind Sheppard, one was the owners fault, a 150 pound Rottie, went to court for that one.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:53 AM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Wow. I run a local trail here sometimes and occasionally there will be people with dogs where their owners let them roam unleashed. It's not a trail in the middle of nowhere, it's in the main district downtown. I specifically carry a pocket knife on me at all times for incidents like the one you describe. While fending off two pit bulls would be a battle for the ages, I'd give it all I had with no sympathy toward the dog(s) who attacked me.
When running in rural Hawaii, I bring along a stout but lightweight bamboo club that has a natural knob at one end.

It's rare that a dog will come out from its home onto the unpaved roads to approach me, but when they do all that's necessary is for me to stop and raise the club to turn them around. An entire pack of dogs though? That would be a fearful sight.

Here in Alaska I'm typically out early enough that no dogs are on the trails, just a few bears. There have been a couple local incidents where unleashed dogs have been killed and eaten from chasing bears, btw.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:19 AM

16,647 posts, read 8,660,601 times
Quote:
This is another horrific attack when this young girl entered the home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQyM1ZXkYs&t=161s
Indeed

Anyone watching that video will begin to appreciate the devastation and life altering consequences of those who choose to have viscous animals as pets.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM

2,701 posts, read 1,206,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I made it clear that I wasn't arguing FOR the decision in question; just pointing out how it was arrived at.
It's ok I'm just saying what I think about it not looking to argue or debate.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:18 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Indeed

Anyone watching that video will begin to appreciate the devastation and life altering consequences of those who choose to have vicious animals as pets.
I have an apology to make to the posters on the thread. I made a post, which thankfully was deleted, which was meant as a sarcastic joke. There is nothing funny about this. The video is as heartwarming as parts of are hard to watch. The attack victim and her boyfriend are models of loyalty to each other. That in itself is an example for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events