Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 10:48 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
My nephew and his fiancé had a scary dog incident recently. His fiancé was walking their dog in their California condo development. Their dog is small (looks like a miniature poodle). The fiancé accidentally dropped the leash and their dog ran up to a neighbor's bigger dog and started barking. The neighbor's dog (pretty sure it's a pit mix) picked up the little dog in its jaws and started biting and thrashing. Fiancé started screaming and nephew jumped over a balcony to help. The fiancé got bit in the hand trying to get her dog away from the bigger dog. The little dog went to the
vet with puncture marks and the fiancé's hand began to swell. She spent 3 days in the hospital on IVs.

They are/were friendly with the owners of the big dog. The woman said her boyfriend (who was with the dog during the incident) isn't that good at controlling the
dog and that they are "rehabilitating" the dog (in a condo development??). When Animal Control showed up, she started changing her tune. Said it was all the fault of the little dog. Now the condo owner wants to change the rules about pet ownership.

Fiance's dog is actually at fault, because she dropped the leash, meaning her dog was not under her control. HER dog was the one that instigated things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 11:18 AM

2,712 posts, read 1,213,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Fiance's dog is actually at fault, because she dropped the leash, meaning her dog was not under her control. HER dog was the one that instigated things.
Yes that is what I'm thinking too.

I would like to know how much bigger is the bigger dog who did the biting? Are there any rules that pets must not exceed a certain weight? I think it's possible the reason people can now have large dogs in community owned condo homes is because they claim the dog is an emotional support dog. If this dog is registered as an emotional support dog then it should not have bitten the little dog even if the little dog was out of the owners control.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:13 PM

1,960 posts, read 708,078 times
"Little Dogs Lives Matter"

Old 05-08-2022, 01:16 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Yes that is what I'm thinking too.

I would like to know how much bigger is the bigger dog who did the biting? Are there any rules that pets must not exceed a certain weight? I think it's possible the reason people can now have large dogs in community owned condo homes is because they claim the dog is an emotional support dog. If this dog is registered as an emotional support dog then it should not have bitten the little dog even if the little dog was out of the owners control.
Thing about ESA is that there are no behavioral standards for them like there are for task-trained service dogs. Service dogs are expected to focus only on the person they are assisting, to the point of ignoring every single other dog in the vicinity, and cannot fight back even if a dog gets in their face or bites them. That is why they have legal rights that non-service dogs, even ESA, do not have.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:30 PM

7,494 posts, read 6,284,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Good to see a serious charge levied against the negligent party. Dog ownership in this country seems to have gone nuts in the last few years. Not surprisingly there are many irresponsible owners out there,with this one possibly the worst offender.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/alabama...wkS2PST-prY5wQ
Dog/love worship is a sickness.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:34 PM

23,426 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
"Little Dogs Lives Matter"
Correction: ALL dogs' lives matter, and the responsibility for those lives rests on their owners.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:44 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,238,069 times
When I was on the farm we had a nutcase neighbor. He neglected his dogs and some of them were half coyote. They would attack in a pack even while I was going over ground on the tractor. I started carrying a rifle after that. They looked starved and would come down and kill our pigs and chickens but we couldn't catch them in the act. One day 4 of them tried to attack our dog in the yard and I killed two of them. Our farms were a mile apart and this pack would run the local canyons looking for food. Driving by his place on the 3 wheeler was terrifying.

We would go up and talk to him and he could care less. At one point he had 32 of them. After we saw him drive into town one day we gathered up other neighbors and we cut as many down as we could. I doubt he even noticed and the dead dogs were eaten by dogs we didn't kill.

Sheriff didn't do a thing after repeated calls. They would call him and he'd be like, "Oh, that's too bad".

Old 05-08-2022, 06:00 PM

1,960 posts, read 708,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Correction: ALL dogs' lives matter, and the responsibility for those lives rests on their owners.
Thanks for the correction. I forgot the apostrophe after the "s" in "dogs."

Old 05-09-2022, 06:26 AM

1,706 posts, read 639,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You know a lot of drug dealers in rural areas?
The area I grew up in is a rural area. Drug dealers lived right around the corner from me. Sold heroin, cocaine, and cut hair out of the same house. If you drive by that neighborhood, you would have no idea that anything like that would happen there.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,158,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I'm not here to protect the dog's owner, he should be eligible for the maximum penalty, the same way as any killer using a firearm or a machete.

The part I don't understand why would an experienced officer enter into this situation without wearing body armor like all men do in Schutzhund training, and a loaded shotgun or an AR 15.
Maybe the officer did not know how bad the situation was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events