Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 10:23 AM

352 posts, read 225,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Without knowing ANYTHING about these people, how do you assume she's the one at fault here?

What I saw, looking at the video, is a woman who looks BOTHERED by this guy. Maybe they don't even know each other.

Maybe he's the local weirdo and someone paid him a few bucks to propose to her, so they could video the yuck yucks.

Maybe this is South Africa's version of Jack Asses, and the whole thing was a setup.

We don't know. You assume he's the victim of a cold hard witch, but maybe she's the victim of a man who intended to embarrass her in front of dozens of strangers.
Uhhhhhh...the same way anyone in here is making an assumption about the situation. DUH.

Furthermore, she appeared to want nothing to do with him...thus, it would seem he dodged a bullet as she was obviously "in the driver's seat". So, yes, from my perspective, he dodged a bullet based on the little info I have (and assuming it isn't fake).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 10:44 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Uhhhhhh...the same way anyone in here is making an assumption about the situation. DUH.

Furthermore, she appeared to want nothing to do with him...thus, it would seem he dodged a bullet as she was obviously "in the driver's seat". So, yes, from my perspective, he dodged a bullet based on the little info I have (and assuming it isn't fake).

Oooohhh I'm so glad he dodged a bullet by proposing to a stranger! Yep, he'll live another day!

Old 05-05-2022, 12:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
He was stupid for the public proposal, but he also dodged a bullet. Any woman that would embarrass their partner like that doesnt deserve to be married.
Huh? She should have said yes to marriage, just to avoid a scene she didn't create? Surely you can't mean that?

He took a foolish chance. He lost. I have a feeling it wasn't the first time she ever threw a fit like that. If he didn't see that coming, he didn't know her well enough to propose marriage. I hope they both wise up and walk away from the other.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:52 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
It would serve society better if the whole dumb tradition of marriage proposals was eliminated and couples had "futures* discussions."

*futures with the "s" is intentional, like a futures contract. Because that's what it really is.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Oooohhh I'm so glad he dodged a bullet by proposing to a stranger! Yep, he'll live another day!
I agree; this thing looks absolutely staged by someone hoping for it to go viral. Doubtful that the woman even knew the guy.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
If not staged, I got the feeling he has been asking her over and over and she has been telling him no over and over. She looked frustrated, like "how many times do I have to tell you".

Old 05-06-2022, 06:30 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't blame her. Nobody wants to be put on public display like that. A marriage proposal should be tender and between two people, not the entire lunch crowd at McDonalds.

Take a hint, guys.
yeah, that still seems to be a thing.

my son and i had that conversation when he decided to propose to his girlfriend, they were both in their early 30s. He actually asked me his mom about ideas for when and where and how to propose. His idea was propose in public at a big family gathering. he had other possibilities in mind too. i told him my view of what i thought was "more desirable" and "less desirable" which is the feedback he was asking me for. In the most tactful way possible i said the least desirable (worst idea) was to propose in public. He was surprised. i guess there are guys who still don't see why that's not a good idea. Anyway the decision was his to make, he knew that, he's been thinking for himself and doing what he wants since he was about 11 anyway, and he was past 30 when he decided to propose.

He had many ideas, and he asked me for other ideas too. I put forth a single idea and it was the one he ended up using: in a beautiful setting someplace that he knows she really likes, get down on one knee and say something along the lines of "you are the woman i want to spend the rest of my life with. will you marry me and make me the happiest man in the world"

he arranged a time to take her out to eat at HER favorite restaurant (which was an elegant one) and he did just that. they each in private came to me later and told me how wonderful it was. (She did not know and will not ever know that the idea came from me his mom.) I was touched and surprised when my adult son (a) asked me for my input, and (b) actually used my suggestion. He was beaming from ear to ear and told me it was a huge success.

His thinking about the public proposal, asking her in front of both sides of the family, was that at a big family gathering everyone could celebrate the engagement and be happy for them. i said it's great to have a party to celebrate engagement, yes. But like the post above says, proposing marriage is between the two people. it's not about playing to the crowd.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:07 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
"I would have tossed his ring in the fry grease"

SAVAGE!!

Old 05-06-2022, 10:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Looks like it was in a mall...or inside a grocery store maybe? Looks like some people had shopping carts.
It was clearly inside a mall. At the 31-32 second mark, you can see the mall layout and other retail stores.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:42 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't blame her. Nobody wants to be put on public display like that. A marriage proposal should be tender and between two people, not the entire lunch crowd at McDonalds.

Take a hint, guys.
That's one thing I picked up... public proposals can REALLY backfire.

There was a Burger King TV commercial where a guy proposes to a woman, she said yes, and it was a happy situation, but that's a BK ad (and at least they were alone). The same ones where you have "doctor" Angus telling you about "the angus diet", and a guy so excited about some new menu item that he didn't even park his car.. he jumped out of it while it was still moving. Fine print on both covered their legal issues (dr. angus isn't a real doctor. Angus diet isn't a real diet. For the latter, park your $$$ car first!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events