Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 01:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well this is on the race people
I'll challenge that.

I run quite a few races these days, my favorite activity c. October '21 - current and remainder of '22 barring injuries. At the moment I do Half Marathons mostly. Some 10Ks, too. Road and trail. My instincts are trail runs induce more participant injuries but I can't prove it.

Halfs are tough enough, at pace or otherwise. I trained for more than a year to w/currrent personal best a little under 1hr 38min (road) at age 54. I haven't trained for a Marathon, it's a much bigger deal. The organizations that marshal these events cannot police everyone but do spot for race bibs. They are not "the" police though. Organizers almost always (or always?) provide medical services. Also hydration, and often snacks during. Always both after. Nicer events feature actual post-race meals. All are for recovery of runners during a by-definition strenuous activity.

There are a few kids on Halfs, two kids were in the front group for the Teanaway Trail Run just last week (Cle Elum WA) as was I. Guessing c. 10 years old each and they can be quite fast indeed though usually not over distance: they aren't developed like grown men and women w/muscle and lung capacity(!). A 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon ran from the gun together a few miles before splitting off. I'm 100% sure there are many kids in 5Ks.

Races are not chaotic but do require staff at different points on the course. The Lake Samm Half on March 6 for example, a road course, had more than 1,100 participants. I suspect summer events upcoming may have that or more here in metro Seattle. Asking organizers to police the participants to that level of detail, who should/should not be on the course, is not in my opinion reasonable. We can discuss 'reasonable.'

Independent of 'who owns it' is that a 6 year old cannot run a full Marathon absent training, and probably not at all (I'm not a trainer, rather educated layman). That's sadistic at worst, irresponsible of the parents at-best, very poor decision making all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 01:19 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'll challenge that.

I run quite a few races these days, my favorite activity c. October '21 - current and remainder of '22 barring injuries. At the moment I do Half Marathons mostly. Some 10Ks, too. Road and trail. My instincts are trail runs induce more participant injuries but I can't prove it.

Halfs are tough enough, at pace or otherwise. I trained for more than a year to w/currrent personal best a little under 1hr 38min (road) at age 54. I haven't trained for a Marathon, it's a much bigger deal. The organizations that marshal these events cannot police everyone but do spot for race bibs. They are not "the" police though. Organizers almost always (or always?) provide medical services. Also hydration, and often snacks during. Always both after. Nicer events feature actual post-race meals. All are for recovery of runners during a by-definition strenuous activity.

There are a few kids on Halfs, two kids were in the front group for the Teanaway Trail Run just last week (Cle Elum WA) as was I. Guessing c. 10 years old each and they can be quite fast indeed though usually not over distance: they aren't developed like grown men and women w/muscle and lung capacity(!). A 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon ran from the gun together a few miles before splitting off. I'm 100% sure there are many kids in 5Ks.

Races are not chaotic but do require staff at different points on the course. The Lake Samm Half on March 6 for example, a road course, had more than 1,100 participants. I suspect summer events upcoming may have that or more here in metro Seattle. Asking organizers to police the participants to that level of detail, who should/should not be on the course, is not in my opinion reasonable. We can discuss 'reasonable.'

Independent of 'who owns it' is that a 6 year old cannot run a full Marathon absent training, and probably not at all (I'm not a trainer, rather educated layman). That's sadistic at worst, irresponsible of the parents at-best, very poor decision making all around.
In the picture though he is wearing one of those official race papers with a number on it. So unless parents stole one from someone he was given one by race personnel. But clearly he is below the posted age minimum. The article states that race personnel “will enforce the age limit going forward" after receiving backlash. So it sounds like they let him run it.

Took him 8.5 hours to finish, poor kid.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-06-2022 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-06-2022, 01:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In the picture though he is wearing one of those official race papers with a number on it. So unless parents stole one from someone he was given one by race personnel. But clearly he is below the posted age minimum so IDK.
and so are the parents - so they didn't just jump into the race.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:49 PM

106 posts, read 37,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's interesting how there's so many supportive comments from clueless people on the YouTube video.

It's obvious these 'parents' did this for social media bragging rights. And if you read of his run, you'll notice that he broke down crying at one point but daddy convinced him to keep running by promising to buy him Pringles chips. I swear, the narcissist social media generation these days, FFS.

And yes, there is most definitely an age restriction for this particular marathon, minimum of 18 years of age to participate (the 'parents' somehow weaseled their way out of this). A 6-year old has zero business running a full marathon, especially one where he was having mental/physical breakdown during the marathon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXMR0L-XJk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...side-them.html
what is so bad him running marathon in some part of the world 6 yo work 9 to 5

Old 05-06-2022, 02:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerules View Post
I hope you’re kidding.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
and so are the parents - so they didn't just jump into the race.
They had done exactly in previous years but the race director okayed them to do it this race. Irresponsible on both the RD and the parents

Old 05-06-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerules View Post
Outside of being ridiculous it took the kid longer than 9-5

Old 05-06-2022, 03:12 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Looks like a great way to quash a kid's interest in physical exercise! Make it torture! Parents who create little zealots and then get their vicarious jollies off them disgust me.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'll challenge that.

Trail races tend to be slower pace and lower impact than road races so while you are probably higher prone to falling Im not sure the overall injury rate is higher

Quote:
This is on both the parents and the race director. The parents bandit the race before, the rd knew who they were and allowed a 6 year old to register. It’s rather way to spot an unpaid 6 year old participant and pull them from a 1/2 or full marathon

Quote:
Per the dad they finished 8:35 with the kid struggling, wanting to take a break and sit down every 3 minutes, they bribed him with pringles, the aid stations were gone at the end as would be typical with a 6-7 hour cutoff. This kid wasn’t trained and the RD should have never allowed it even if the idiot parents wanted to try

Old 05-06-2022, 06:41 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
I would have negotiated up for Ruffles.

Seriously, these parents are nuts and the folks with the race are not much better. This is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events