Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 01:35 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how there's so many supportive comments from clueless people on the YouTube video.

It's obvious these 'parents' did this for social media bragging rights. And if you read of his run, you'll notice that he broke down crying at one point but daddy convinced him to keep running by promising to buy him Pringles chips. I swear, the narcissist social media generation these days, FFS.

And yes, there is most definitely an age restriction for this particular marathon, minimum of 18 years of age to participate (the 'parents' somehow weaseled their way out of this). A 6-year old has zero business running a full marathon, especially one where he was having mental/physical breakdown during the marathon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXMR0L-XJk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...side-them.html

Quote:
Parents of a six-year-old boy who recently completed a full-length marathon are being condemned for making the child run alongside them in the race and are being accused of bribing him to keep moving when he was struggling.

Runners must be 18 years old to participate in the Flying Pig Marathon, a 26.2-mile race in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 08:13 AM

22,361 posts, read 29,487,050 times
Well this is on the race people

Old 05-06-2022, 08:20 AM

10,580 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Decades ago we had a fanatical PE teacher at one of the local schools. He had his little kid out running long distances on a regular basis. I think the kid set some sort of record for his age at the marathon distance.

In this day and age, someone would no doubt intervene. The guy was a real nutcase, physically abusive with students too. Moved away many years ago. Still alive, I believe.

Looked him up, it appears he has had some trouble with the school district in Payette, Idaho.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:21 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,090,622 times
The family has a YouTube channel. I'm thinking these are the types of people who exploit their children on social media for money. Do the parents have real jobs?

Old 05-06-2022, 08:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Decades ago we had a fanatical PE teacher at one of the local schools. He had his little kid out running long distances on a regular basis. I think the kid set some sort of record for his age at the marathon distance.

In this day and age, someone would no doubt intervene. The guy was a real nutcase, physically abusive with students too. Moved away many years ago. Still alive, I believe.

Looked him up, it appears he has had some trouble with the school district in Payette, Idaho.
We had a Gym class teacher sort of like this back in the early 90s, he was known as a tyrant. LOL, and frequently made kids run long distances, especially during May, when it was hot/humid outside!

I do remember a lot of whining and complaining from students at the time, but I DO NOT remember anyone suffering any health related problems as a result, everybody just did as they were told and got thru it.

Seems like kids were tougher in the past, a gym teacher would never be permitted to do these things today, but it was common years ago.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:16 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
A friend of mine from college is a lifelong distance runner, and she and her husband got their kids involved in kid races at an early age. Kids can run, but shouldn't be pushed to do something they don't want or can't handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We had a Gym class teacher sort of like this back in the early 90s, he was known as a tyrant. LOL, and frequently made kids run long distances, especially during May, when it was hot/humid outside!

I do remember a lot of whining and complaining from students at the time, but I DO NOT remember anyone suffering any health related problems as a result, everybody just did as they were told and got thru it.

Seems like kids were tougher in the past, a gym teacher would never be permitted to do these things today, but it was common years ago.
It's literally gym teachers like this that made me hate exercising and provided a good case of body image issues that have taken years to recover from. They made kids run without any training on form or acknowledgement of different athletic levels. Need water? Don't care. Need to walk or you pulled a muscle? Then you've failed. It wasn't a good thing.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:23 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The family has a YouTube channel. I'm thinking these are the types of people who exploit their children on social media for money. Do the parents have real jobs?
lol That's an honest question in this day and age.

The race organizers should have stopped the parents. Why didn't they? Rules exist for a reason, a very good one in this case.

"Oh, but he's so CUTE!"

Really? When he's breaking down crying, and is miserable? And how could the parents possibly have run a serious race, if they had to stay with the little kid the entire time? Was this some kind of fund-raising event, where if you pay serious money to enter, officials will look the other way when you break the rules? You just buy your way in?

Old 05-06-2022, 10:22 AM

6,233 posts, read 3,617,392 times
Selfish people. CPS should investigate and the organizers of the race should be fined for allowing the to break the rules.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:04 AM

50,925 posts, read 36,618,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

That is a bit different from a 6 year old being forced to run 26 miles. I knew those type teachers too but not in Kindergarten/First Grade. Not till Junior High. And no one was made to run 26 miles.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:22 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well this is on the race people
It’s 100% on the race director and they issued a bs response about. Essentially this family had in the past participated in the event with some or all of the family not paying for a spot, also called being a “bandit” so the race director said they knew the family would do it anyway so they signed off.

It’s stupid because races can and do pull bandits when they catch them in the act and spotting a 6 year old would be a piece of cake. Secondly I wouldn’t be shocked if their insurance company didn’t cancel their liability policy and this group manages more than one race so it could be impactful to many events. Completely bonehead move on the RD’s part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events