Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 11:17 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I think it would be a greater deterrent if the DP was carried out more swiftly. DR prisoners spend decades appealing, sometimes dying of natural causes before the sentence is carried out. I've noticed that in repressive and/or totalitarian regimes, crime rates, especially for certain types of crimes, are much lower, because the state doesn't take its time with the process.

My comment should not be onstrued to mean I'm in favor of living in such a state;. Just stating some unfortunate truths.
There’s been too many cases of death row inmates later being exonerated by DNA or something else for me to be comfortable with increasing it or speeding it up. 156 have later been exonerated. That translates to one out of every 10 put to death.

It’s still also applied much more frequently to defendants with public defenders than those who can afford private lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 12:09 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There’s been too many cases of death row inmates later being exonerated by DNA or something else for me to be comfortable with increasing it or speeding it up. 156 have later been exonerated. That translates to one out of every 10 put to death.

It’s still also applied much more frequently to defendants with public defenders than those who can afford private lawyers.
No clue where you are coming up with such stats, unless it is some claim or bias study done by an advocacy group against the death penalty.
Unless something has changed, I do not believe there is any definitive proof of such claims.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No clue where you are coming up with such stats, unless it is some claim or bias study done by an advocacy group against the death penalty.
Unless something has changed, I do not believe there is any definitive proof of such claims.
Here are a couple of lists of exonerated prisoners, the crimes they were convicted of and later how they were exonerated. If you look them up individually (just pick a name) you can get confirmation of the cases. I included one. It gives details of the cases, and clearly not made up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/ex...spx?caseid=197

Here is one example of representation making a difference, done by a University of Denver Criminology professor: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/st...s-county-texas.

Here is a listing of other studies, some done by groups who want to abolish the death penalty but many done by more neutral sources https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-...representation

Who is going to publish these studies if not those groups? Just because they have a bias doesn't mean the information isnt accurate. It is all statistically based, after all. But it does give people a convenient excuse to say "that group is biased so I will immediately dismiss anything they say".

Do you actually believe poor people aren't more likely to get death than wealthier people? Do you actually believe a public defender with 85 clients is going to represent someone as well as a private lawyer getting $500 an hour? It's common sense.

Here's one case where volunteers from the American Bar Association got a death row inmate released and conviction overturned after 30 years. Thank God they didn't "speed up" the system.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...epresentation/

Old 05-12-2022, 06:58 PM

631 posts, read 288,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Here are a couple of lists of exonerated prisoners, the crimes they were convicted of and later how they were exonerated. If you look them up individually (just pick a name) you can get confirmation of the cases. I included one. It gives details of the cases, and clearly not made up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/ex...spx?caseid=197

Here is one example of representation making a difference, done by a University of Denver Criminology professor: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/st...s-county-texas.

Here is a listing of other studies, some done by groups who want to abolish the death penalty but many done by more neutral sources https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-...representation

Who is going to publish these studies if not those groups? Just because they have a bias doesn't mean the information isnt accurate. It is all statistically based, after all. But it does give people a convenient excuse to say "that group is biased so I will immediately dismiss anything they say".

Do you actually believe poor people aren't more likely to get death than wealthier people? Do you actually believe a public defender with 85 clients is going to represent someone as well as a private lawyer getting $500 an hour? It's common sense.

Here's one case where volunteers from the American Bar Association got a death row inmate released and conviction overturned after 30 years. Thank God they didn't "speed up" the system.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...epresentation/
Don't disagree with you here at all, ocnjgirl. Wrongful convictions in DP cases have been notable, espcially in the past, and especially based on circumstantial (almost always biased) evidence. And I agree that the more money a defendant has, the more likely he or she is to get off, regardless of actual guilt or innocence. People like OJ Simpson, Robert Blake, and Bill Cosby have gotten away with murder or rape due to the 'dream teams' they've been able to afford to hire. If Robert Blake or OJ Simpson had a public defender representing them, they'd be sitting on DR, and rightfully so.

Still, I'm 'agnostic' about the DP because sometimes, the evidence is overwhelmingly objective and direct, and the crime overwhelmingly heinous. There's those cases in which a rapist's DNA is inside the 18-month-old who was rape-sodomized, and that would be the kind of example where my agnosticism turns to true belief. That would be the DP case in which I could volunteer to assist in without too many second thoughts.

As for this particular individual? Clearly he did it. But I suspect that he is probably stark raving insane, and should have been in a state asylum for the criminally insane to begin with. He will probably be sent there after all is said and done.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you release someone from jail by mistake?
Ruth, I know you have to be joking. This happens all the time.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:10 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,209 times
Bagley has been captured and is in custody.

"A man accused of strangling a woman to death on a Phoenix city bus several days ago is now behind bars, according to investigators. Police arrested 41-year-old Joshua Bagley on Tuesday night in connection to the crime. Officers say Bagley was taken into custody near 27th Avenue and Indian School Road after someone called 911 about a suspicious person in the area. That person turned out to be Bagley, police said."

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/05/11/...-bus-arrested/

Old 05-24-2022, 10:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Oh Wait... this is Phoenix (the 'No Voter Fraud Here' town).

Another Leftoid Village... nothing to see here.
No, AZ is actually the vote suppression state. Pretty Rightoid. Court cases forced the state to honor Native Americans' right to vote.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:53 AM

He was released by mistake, so I don't see what politics has to do with it. Just a series of incompetence, mix-ups and errors by everyone involved from the Sheriffs office to the judge and prosecutor.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
People are just getting more violent and nuts. I never thought I would say this, but maybe we should start having public hangings and other very harsh punishments. Maybe then people might think twice about killing others..

Old 05-26-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
People are just getting more violent and nuts. I never thought I would say this, but maybe we should start having public hangings and other very harsh punishments. Maybe then people might think twice about killing others..
Seems to me violence only leads to more violence. I think that's the cycle we're in. Adding more is not going to help, IMO.

He was probably on drugs, one of the things he did when originally arrested was throw a crystal meth pipe out the window. People on drugs aren't carefully weighing consequences and deciding whether it's worth it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events