Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 11:51 AM

972 posts, read 542,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They say that anyone can sue anyone else for any reason as long as they can find a lawyer to handle the case.
Finding a lawyer to handle the case would mean finding a lawyer who can make a case for a loss that has a reasonable chance of being addressed in court. In this case, it seems the lawyer is arguing that the parents' covering wedding and honeymoon is some manner of contract. It doesn't sound like any sort of discussion about that expectation took place, so I assume the case would hinge on whether Indian culture's expectations around childbearing as a duty to one's parents rises to the level of a contract. Again, it'll be interesting to see how they rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Son is probably Gay and married under pressure from the parents.
Why would you assume that?? Maybe they just want to be free, travel, or get their careers on track before starting a family. Like millions of other young couples. Where does he’s probably gay come in?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:32 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
they need to move into the 21st century. jeez louise.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:57 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I am surprised people are overlooking the cultural aspect of this. India has a completely different culture than America. Many Asian countries have a system wherein the parents put everything they have into the kids and the kids repay them by taking care of them for their elder years.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:33 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am surprised people are overlooking the cultural aspect of this. India has a completely different culture than America. Many Asian countries have a system wherein the parents put everything they have into the kids and the kids repay them by taking care of them for their elder years.
I don't think anyone is ignoring the cultural aspect, but geez, some of these expectations are simply archaic and burdensome. What would the parents do if the son married a woman who could not have children?

Old 05-24-2022, 08:52 AM

972 posts, read 542,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I don't think anyone is ignoring the cultural aspect, but geez, some of these expectations are simply archaic and burdensome. What would the parents do if the son married a woman who could not have children?
It's the 21st century as they know it, so these expectations aren't archaic to them. Still, I side with individual determination and feel bad for any Indian who's being pressured against their will into something as major as childbearing.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

They can take care of the parents without grandkids. It's not normally grandkids that take care of the elders. They just want grandchildren to play with before they're too old, and to make sure their lineage was carried on. Yes though cultural differences certainly come into play (parents can attach wages of adult children to be supported there)

I think they feel ripped off not having grandchildren to love. I'm sure in that culture its embarrassing too that they don't have grandkids yet. They arranged the marriage, and I'm sure desire to have kids were part of the interview process in choosing a bride. They apparently bought him an $80,000 car, paid for the wedding, paid $65,000 for him to get pilot's training in the states, and supported him for 2 years as an adult.

“At least if we have a grandchild to spend time with, our pain will become bearable.”

"It is a dream of every parent to become a grandparent," Srivastava told the National. "They had been waiting for years to become grandparents."

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-24-2022 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 11:46 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Adult children don’t owe their parents a grandchild (morally yet alone legally) in the same way parents don’t owe their children an inheritance or (to pay for) a wedding.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:59 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Sure, but him not having kids doesn't keep him from caring for them when they get old. Actually, on that front, him not having kids is a bonus-- they're not competing for his money and time with his own offspring (who might come out on top).

Old 05-27-2022, 12:58 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I was told that.
Then the person did not really mean it, i.e., he grossly exaggerated or you misconstrued what he meant

It is hard to find uneducated people in India. And if the parents are spending money on the chid's education in a foreign university, you can bet they are not going to marry their highly educated son to an uneducated woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events