Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,154,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I purposely changed the title from that of the article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...91a1888fce37a2

First the case in Alabama, now this. What is it with these women who are paid to guard the criminals in their jails, but instead break them out? What could have possibly led this young woman to think that it would be a good idea to let these three dangerous criminals out of jail? I have my theories, but they aren't PC, so I'm going to keep my trap shut.
Crime is crime. It all should be punished blindly. To me, criminals with a badge are more despicable than criminals without these things. Any prison guard who commits a crime is lower than the scum they guard. I include not just guards who help prisoners, but also guards who abuse prisoners. Wearing that badge is a big responsibility. That all said, you are talking about tiny fractions of the population of incredibly brave male and female corrections officers. The super vast majority are brave officers protecting us all and allowing citizens convicted of crimes to serve their sentence and eventually rejoin society. Prisons have a many faceted purpose and the correctional employees are a huge part of making sure that purpose is fulfilled. Its not a job I would want, and none of the brave men and women doing it should be suspected, limited, or attacked because of a few bad apples. Those bad apples though, I have no respect for and think are lower than the convicts that they guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 11:18 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The basic requirements to be a prison correctional officer: 18 years old with a GED.

Same qualifications as TSA.
They don't have to pass any kind of physical test?

I agree only men should be in men's facilities and same with women. AA should have nothing to do with it.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:53 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Great idea for a thread, but why post it in CE section, instead of P&C section to where you/we can discuss non-PC views?
I would have put it in P&OC, but I noticed that the thread on the other recent incident of a correctional officer helping an inmate to escape was located here in Current Events. So I assumed that the mods wanted such threads to be posted here. I will respect the parameters of this forum and refrain from making controversial remarks. But if the mods want to move this to P&OC, then we can let 'er rip!

Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
From the link:

"We didn’t know at that time that we would become such a strong and powerful couple. We’ve overcome so much together. The ups and downs are what made us who we are today and let me tell you, they we’re definitely worth it."

I wonder if this is one of the "downs" that makes them stronger.

Boy - you really have to feel bad for poor Brandon. First his name creates all kinds of situations and now his intended bride runs off with three teenage boys, two of whom were being held on murder charges.
Indeed so, I do feel bad for Brandon. Now he knows what kind of guys his fiancée would rather have than him. She would rather be with accused murderers in jail than with him. That's gotta hurt. I just hope that Brandon can console himself with the knowledge that he dodged a massive bullet by not getting married to a turdbag like her. (Assuming, that is, that the wedding is off. If he has an ounce of self-respect, it will have been cancelled by now.)

Old 05-16-2022, 12:10 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Indeed so, I do feel bad for Brandon. Now he knows what kind of guys his fiancée would rather have than him. She would rather be with accused murderers in jail than with him. That's gotta hurt. I just hope that Brandon can console himself with the knowledge that he dodged a massive bullet by not getting married to a turdbag like her. (Assuming, that is, that the wedding is off. If he has an ounce of self-respect, it will have been cancelled by now.)
Well, if she had sex with any of these guys, she's got more to worry about, than 'just' springing them loose. They're all minors, and she's 21. She can look forward to sex charges as well as aiding and abetting...or whatever charges get generated from helping people escape incaceration.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:23 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If any industry should go full automation, its prisons, that is about the only way to ensure this doesnt happen, but unfortunately, the 'robot guards' would have to be Terminator like, so that probably wouldnt turn out too well either, for anyone.
This is an interesting take I haven't heard before, I wonder if in the future we'll have Smart Prisons controlled by AI

Old 05-16-2022, 12:34 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I would have put it in P&OC, but I noticed that the thread on the other recent incident of a correctional officer helping an inmate to escape was located here in Current Events. So I assumed that the mods wanted such threads to be posted here. I will respect the parameters of this forum and refrain from making controversial remarks. But if the mods want to move this to P&OC, then we can let 'er rip!
Please, let's just keep it here. I get so tired of the P/OC forum, the rare times I look in on it. If you put it there, they'd blame the whole thing on Biden. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a thread up, blaming last night's lunar eclipse on the President.

I think you made the right choice. Please, no ripping, here.

Back to topic, I think the discussion so far has pointed out a crying need for professionalizing jail, prison, and correctional facility staff, and also seriously consider having same-sex guards as the prisoners. Of course, "professionalizing" the staff would cost money; they'd have to be paid more. But better pay does tend to bring in better candidates. I've seen that at state jobs, when a position's title and pay were upgraded. It drew in better candidates.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, if she had sex with any of these guys, she's got more to worry about, than 'just' springing them loose. They're all minors, and she's 21. She can look forward to sex charges as well as aiding and abetting...or whatever charges get generated from helping people escape incaceration.
Two of them are 17. Not sure, I think one was 15. The fact that she was with them in the TX hotel the day after she sprang them, when LE tracked them all down, says a lot.

Her poor fiancé. But the fact that they already had a wedding date set for later this year at age 21 makes me wonder, if people where she's from get married because they don't have anything else to do. It's the way you join the adult world, even if psychologically, you're not an adult yourself yet. Or she might be from a religious community that discouraged premarital sex, so people end up getting married too young.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-16-2022 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 12:57 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
She looks pretty pleased with herself in her mugshot.

Who knows what was going through her head at the time.
I would say very little. But I'd say very little has been going through her head for many years now. A perfect mark.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Two of them are 17. Not sure, I think one was 15. The fact that she was with them in the TX hotel the day after she sprang them, when LE tracked them all down, says a lot.

Her poor fiancé. But the fact that they already had a wedding date set for later this year at age 21 makes me wonder, if people where she's from get married because they don't have anything else to do. It's the way you join the adult world, even if psychologically, you're not an adult yourself yet. Or she might be from a religious community that discouraged premarital sex, so people end up getting married too young.
I just looked it up, the age of consent in Louisiana is 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events