Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 09:28 AM

238 posts, read 172,060 times

Advertisements

You can hear the shooter shouting "get out of my spot". Victim and his buddy slowly approached while shooter stood his ground, all caught in video.

Seems to me that the shooter knows his Stand Your Ground law. My guess is he will not be charged.

Maybe the victim will be charged with trespassing.

My personal opinion: He had it coming. He'll live, no lives lost here. He will most likely not learn his lesson and will continue to be an idiot douchebag.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:31 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Unfortunately we're going to see more and more of this with the "everyone should carry" attitudes in our country. Anytime someone gets into an argument, all they have to do is claim that they felt threatened, and then they can shoot.
Yeah, that's not how it works. The shooter has been charged and will be doing some time. Deservedly so -- though I'll add, if you trespass on someone's property and then cop an attitude when they tell you to get off... well, you get what you get. Don't be an asshead, just get yourself and your s*#t off their property.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:32 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
The guy in orange has a limp and is sporting a leg brace. So, just drop him off by entrance to building and either drive away or park somewhere appropriate if planning to join him inside.

No excuse for taking someone else's designated parking space, or to then approach the guy when he takes issue with it.

Worst behavior was reserved for the guy in trenchcoat. Shooting someone over this? Straight to jail for him.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:32 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yeah, that's not how it works.
Actually, yeah. That is how it works.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:48 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Yeah... As ridiculous (and scary) as this is, a good attorney will get this guy off with maybe just an anger management course.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:33 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The guy in orange has a limp and is sporting a leg brace. So, just drop him off by entrance to building and either drive away or park somewhere appropriate if planning to join him inside.

No excuse for taking someone else's designated parking space, or to then approach the guy when he takes issue with it.

Worst behavior was reserved for the guy in trenchcoat. Shooting someone over this? Straight to jail for him.
yep - drop him off at his door.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:34 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I didn't listen to the video with sound on, so sorry if this was addressed. Does this complex assign parking spaces to the owners/tenants or are they on a first come / first serve basis?
assigned

Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
More info on the story.

https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...il/7406539001/

Wonder if the Posts' have moved from that location since they would have to see the person who shot Post every day. And their parking spots are next to each other.

Looks like two judges are out of a job because of the low bail for the shooter. There had been several complaints about the low bail for some violent offenders.
https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...ce/9708479002/

Nobody had commented on the friend who was driving a truck with a leg brace. on his right leg. He probably shouldn't have been driving. Shows none of the three men are in their right mind.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:00 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
More info on the story.

https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...il/7406539001/

Wonder if the Posts' have moved from that location since they would have to see the person who shot Post every day. And their parking spots are next to each other.

Looks like two judges are out of a job because of the low bail for the shooter. There had been several complaints about the low bail for some violent offenders.
https://www.waxahachietx.com/story/n...ce/9708479002/

Nobody had commented on the friend who was driving a truck with a leg brace. on his right leg. He probably shouldn't have been driving. Shows none of the three men are in their right mind.
It sounds like from the article that Post had a habit of taking neighbor's spot, and he got fed up. Although I wouldn't shoot anyone, I can relate. I had an apartment for 18 years in a popular and crowded NJ shore town, one assigned spot, and it was stolen very frequently. I'd come home from work and have to go store to store asking if anyone knew whose car it was (frequently stolen by kids who worked in the boardwalk stores, or by people who claimed they knew my landlord so thought it would be okay, or by Comcast and other vendors. I spent $100 getting a huge sign made so no one could claim they didn't know they were taking my spot. I would put cones in it, and not only would the cones be removed, they'd throw them across the parking lot to make sure I knew they didn't care about my cone. Half the time when I found the people, they'd be mad at ME for making them move their car. If I couldn't find the car owners, I'd have to pay $25 or more to park in a pay lot. It was very stressful.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-18-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 11:06 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
You were right about the fact that there will be more of this type of incident, with the pro-gun hysteria for "personal protection" going on. But the case isn't so simple. This case will test the finer points of stand-your-ground law. The shooter was not dealing with a home invasion or an imminent one. He was not dealing with a potential assault while in his car, which is how SYG laws generally are written. He was in a parking lot, not within his own private domain, whether home, yard, or vehicle, when he was approached threateningly.

It will be interesting to see how the case plays out in court. If you're in your car when someone approaches you menacingly, perhaps with a weapon, you can shoot. If you're standing on the sidewalk feeding a parking meter when someone approaches you menacingly, you cannot lawfully shoot. SYG doesn't allow a return to the Wild West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events