Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:15 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,462,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It doesn't say that the operator who hung up on the caller was actually the one who dispatched the call.
When an incident like this occurs, obviously, there are numerous calls coming in on it and the cavalry may have already been on the way. it's inexcusable for an operator to hang up on a caller in this scenario - I don't care how young, how old, how short staffed, how whatever. Even if other calls were coming in, there's an opportunity to help the caller and possibly gain additional info on the shooter to help officers responding to the call.
I read that the same way, a media spin to try to get take the heat off a bad situation. I question that this 911 operator had enough information to dispatch officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:16 AM

50,996 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that you are very wrong about that "very likely" concept. I think it is much more likely that the majority of calls to 911 are prank calls or stupid issue calls that should never be taken to the police, let alone calling it in as an emergency.

I don't know what happened in this case and I am inclined to be suspicious of the way the press presents things, going for the drama over presenting the truth.

Emergency dispatcher is a high stress job that isn't well paid and local governments are always looking for ways to cut their budget, so they are often under-staffed
It doesn't matter, you don't talk to callers like that regardless nor hang up on them. She pretty much spent the time on the phone scolding the victim. That's why the head of the 911 call center called it "completely unacceptable" when he listened to it. It's not just about getting help there, to me it doesn't matter if help was already on the way. The operator should have calmed her, "help is on the way, just stay quiet, it's going to be alright". To scold her and hang up when she was in fear for her life is unforgivable.

Nursing home work is high stress too, but I am a professional and engage with patients in a professional manner, no matter what their behavior is. That should be the least, lowest bar for any profession. But in emergency work even more so.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:19 AM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,690,072 times
Well, we've heard one side of the story. Eventually the tape of the call will be released.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 AM

50,996 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Well, we've heard one side of the story. Eventually the tape of the call will be released.
We've also heard her superiors, who listened to the call, say it was "completely unacceptable".

Old 05-20-2022, 11:30 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that you are very wrong about that "very likely" concept. I think it is much more likely that the majority of calls to 911 are prank calls or stupid issue calls that should never be taken to the police, let alone calling it in as an emergency.

I don't know what happened in this case and I am inclined to be suspicious of the way the press presents things, going for the drama over presenting the truth.

Emergency dispatcher is a high stress job that isn't well paid and local governments are always looking for ways to cut their budget, so they are often under-staffed
Yes, I've heard of stupid 911 calls about not being able to find what channel a football game is on.

Here are more:

Quote:
8. “I’ve been a police 911 operator for 15 years. The stories I have.
I’ve had someone call 911 to find out how long to smoke a brisket.
I’ve had someone call 911 to ask what the fines for parking tickets are.
I’ve had someone call 911 to wish me a merry Christmas when I was working at 3 a.m. on Christmas morning.
I’ve had someone call 911 to report that their trunk wasn’t opening and they wanted to know what to do about it.
https://people.com/celebrity/911-ope...ever-received/

Old 05-20-2022, 12:00 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Forget suing, but pursue criminal charges for sure.

911 is that first step put in place to save us. When the workers fail us because they think we're "wasting their time", termination ain't good enough. Prosecute.

Who can experience the horror of of having a 911 operator hang up on you during an life and death emergency phone call? None of us... and we never should, nor should we ever be concerned about that happening to us in the future. This isn't the first time we've heard about this happening from these 911 operators.
Let's find out what happened first. If they got 20 calls and this call was #21 and the information was the same as had already been received, then it might have made sense for her to hang up, it could well be that she was also tasked with coordinating ambulances and police assistance from other agencies.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:15 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let's find out what happened first. If they got 20 calls and this call was #21 and the information was the same as had already been received, then it might have made sense for her to hang up, it could well be that she was also tasked with coordinating ambulances and police assistance from other agencies.
That doesn't excuse this:

Quote:
"And when I whispered on the phone to 911, the dispatcher started yelling at me saying 'Why are you whispering? You don't have to whisper.' And I'm trying to tell her like, 'Ma'am, he's in the store. He's shooting. It's an active shooter. I'm scared for my life.' And she said something crazy to me and then she hung up in my face."
She couldn't have said, "Ma'am, we know, help is on the way" instead?

Old 05-20-2022, 03:34 PM

13,365 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Interview with the assistant manager of the Grocery store who was hung up on by 911 during the shooting.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:56 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That doesn't excuse this:

She couldn't have said, "Ma'am, we know, help is on the way" instead?
You are right, that's horrible...

Old 05-20-2022, 11:08 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,553,176 times
The caller was apparently in another shooting some years ago. She has survived two shootings in her life apparently without injury.

Quote:
The assistant office manager at the Tops Friendly Markets store in Buffalo, New York, had already survived one mass shooting.

Nearly 12 years ago, Latisha Rogers and her brother, Danyell Mackin, were at City Grill restaurant in Buffalo when a man opened fire, killing Mackin and three others. Four people were wounded, including one who succumbed years later to those injuries.
A Buffalo supermarket worker dialed 911 during the massacre and was asked, ‘Why are you whispering?’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events