Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:59 PM

13,244 posts, read 7,295,079 times

Advertisements

My wife accidently called 911 from her phone holding down a button she thought it was going to shut the phone off. She set the phone down on a counter. We were talking for about 5 minutes she went to bed when I realized someone was talking on her phone. I hung it up thinking it was a robo caller something. The phone ringing when I looked at it said Emergency call something like that I answered it was a 911 operator. She asked my name and my wife's name I explained what happened they just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

I find it odd that this 911 operator just hung up didn't even try to call her back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 04:35 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The caller was apparently in another shooting some years ago. She has survived two shootings in her life apparently without injury.

A Buffalo supermarket worker dialed 911 during the massacre and was asked, ‘Why are you whispering?’
Her brother was killed in the other shooting. Awful.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My wife accidently called 911 from her phone holding down a button she thought it was going to shut the phone off. She set the phone down on a counter. We were talking for about 5 minutes she went to bed when I realized someone was talking on her phone. I hung it up thinking it was a robo caller something. The phone ringing when I looked at it said Emergency call something like that I answered it was a 911 operator. She asked my name and my wife's name I explained what happened they just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

I find it odd that this 911 operator just hung up didn't even try to call her back.
Yes I agree. Years ago while waiting for his little brother to be born, my nephew (maybe 5 or 6) called 911 messing around on a pay phone. He hung up the second they answered, but 15 minutes later a cop walked into the waiting area because of the call. He lectured my nephew on 911 and left. But the 911 operator took her job seriously, this one didn’t. I hope she is fired.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:37 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Immediate fire and cause for criminal charges.
I agree. Negligence resulting in multiple deaths.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. Negligence resulting in multiple deaths.
Her actions didn’t cause deaths. They could have in other circumstances but they didn’t here because police were already on the way from other more competent 911 dispatchers. She just needs to be fired. There was nothing criminal though.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:25 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That doesn't excuse this:

Quote:
"And when I whispered on the phone to 911, the dispatcher started yelling at me saying 'Why are you whispering? You don't have to whisper.' And I'm trying to tell her like, 'Ma'am, he's in the store. He's shooting. It's an active shooter. I'm scared for my life.' And she said something crazy to me and then she hung up in my face."

She couldn't have said, "Ma'am, we know, help is on the way" instead?

That quote is being reported in other news stories without the word "crazy". AFAIK, the tape of the call hasn't surfaced online yet.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:11 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Well, we've heard one side of the story. Eventually the tape of the call will be released.
What exactly could be the dispatcher's version of events be? Alao, I am not sure they will release the tapes since I read somewhere that they are not releasing her name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let's find out what happened first. If they got 20 calls and this call was #21 and the information was the same as had already been received, then it might have made sense for her to hang up, it could well be that she was also tasked with coordinating ambulances and police assistance from other agencies.
No, it does not make any sense to hang up on the caller. The caller could have information that no one else had. Meanwhile, the dispatcher could still be relaying information to first responders and police while still on the call. Not to mention that nothing in your post is the reason the caller was hung up on. Dispatch scolded her for whispering and then hung up on her. I don't know if she ever considered the caller could have been at the mass shooting.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That quote is being reported in other news stories without the word "crazy". AFAIK, the tape of the call hasn't surfaced online yet.
She said it in TV interviews. She couldn't actually hear what the operator said when the girl dropped her phone out of nervousness. The operator said something she couldn't understand and then hung up.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:07 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
If you ever mistakenly dial 9-1-1, wait until the operator answers and inform her/him that it was a misdial. That saves alot of headaches.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:09 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What exactly could be the dispatcher's version of events be? Alao, I am not sure they will release the tapes since I read somewhere that they are not releasing her name

No, it does not make any sense to hang up on the caller. The caller could have information that no one else had. Meanwhile, the dispatcher could still be relaying information to first responders and police while still on the call. Not to mention that nothing in your post is the reason the caller was hung up on. Dispatch scolded her for whispering and then hung up on her. I don't know if she ever considered the caller could have been at the mass shooting.

Maybe the dispatcher told her that she couldn't hear her, and hung up to take other calls. We won't know what was said without the tape. The caller's name is all over the media so I can't see that's a reason to withhold the tape. Eventually someone will file for FoI access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events