Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 03:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 5,369,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I've heard of stupid 911 calls about not being able to find what channel a football game is on.

Here are more:

https://people.com/celebrity/911-ope...ever-received/
And then there's 'what time is it?' or, one of my favorites, "there's a bird outside my window making a racket and I can't sleep.'
You can't make this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 03:15 PM

51,329 posts, read 36,992,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Maybe the dispatcher told her that she couldn't hear her, and hung up to take other calls. We won't know what was said without the tape. The caller's name is all over the media so I can't see that's a reason to withhold the tape. Eventually someone will file for FoI access.
While we don't know exactly what the tape says, but we do know after her superiors listened to it they said it was "completely unacceptable" so I see no reason to doubt the young woman. Its not exactly "she said/she said" when her bosses agree the operator didn't do her job properly.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:34 PM

15,772 posts, read 9,606,101 times
Quote:
Maybe the dispatcher told her that she couldn't hear her, and hung up to take other calls. We won't know what was said without the tape.
I am going to guess there are very few reasons a dispatcher is ever to hang up on a phone call. And if so, they are probably supposed to call the number back. We've read a number of instances when someone accidentally called 911 and police came to check it out nonetheless. Yu don't hang up on someone because they are whispering.

According to the dispatcher's superior -

Quote:
“We teach our 911 call takers that if someone is whispering, it probably means they are in trouble” and the caller may be in “an area of concern, not just with regards to active shooters but potentially with regards to domestic violence that someone may be calling,” he said.
Quote:
The caller's name is all over the media so I can't see that's a reason to withhold the tape. Eventually someone will file for FoI access.
I didn't mean the caller. She's been on CNN and maybe a few other news organizations giving her name out.

Quote:
A May 30 hearing will be held “in which our intention is to terminate the 911 call taker who acted totally inappropriately, not following protocol,” he said, reiterating the dispatcher’s tone was a “completely inappropriate response” in a “terrible situation.”

The dispatcher’s name would not be released, due to department standards regarding anyone under administrative suspension or leave, Poloncarz said.
They are not releasing the name of the dispatcher, so my assumption was they would not release a recording of the call. Perhaps they will after the dispatcher has been fired.

A Buffalo supermarket worker dialed 911 during the massacre and was asked, ‘Why are you whispering?’ Now, the dispatcher is set to be fired, an official said

Old 05-22-2022, 04:38 PM

88,925 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am going to guess there are very few reasons a dispatcher is ever to hang up on a phone call. And if so, they are probably supposed to call the number back. We've read a number of instances when someone accidentally called 911 and police came to check it out nonetheless. Yu don't hang up on someone because they are whispering.

According to the dispatcher's superior -

I didn't mean the caller. She's been on CNN and maybe a few other news organizations giving her name out.

They are not releasing the name of the dispatcher, so my assumption was they would not release a recording of the call. Perhaps they will after the dispatcher has been fired.

A Buffalo supermarket worker dialed 911 during the massacre and was asked, ‘Why are you whispering?’ Now, the dispatcher is set to be fired, an official said
Yup, the night my father died, my mother called 911 when she found him on the floor, then hung up. They called right back, which is what woke me up.

Years ago you had to dial 9 to get an outside line at work. One day the cops came up to our floor (this was One World Trade Center, so they came from the PAPD command in 5 WTC) because someone accidentally called 911 when trying to dial out. It was obviously a mistake, but they said they were obligated to check.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:38 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,172,118 times
Quote:
Maybe the dispatcher told her that she couldn't hear her, and hung up to take other calls. We won't know what was said without the tape. The caller's name is all over the media so I can't see that's a reason to withhold the tape. Eventually someone will file for FoI access.
It doesn't matter. She should not have hung up. She didn't follow the guidelines. She needs to be fired. It's FOIA, Freedom of information act. American citizen's are entitled to it. It's a right, not a privilege.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
And then there's 'what time is it?' or, one of my favorites, "there's a bird outside my window making a racket and I can't sleep.'
You can't make this stuff.
That has nothing to do with this incident. They are trained to know that most of the calls are coming in from real emergencies. Her job was to treat it like one. She did not. I thought the recording was already released. The transcript was.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,247,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
If you ever mistakenly dial 9-1-1, wait until the operator answers and inform her/him that it was a misdial. That saves alot of headaches.
Don’t they want to confirm who you are?
What if the 911 is talking to a criminal who overwhelmed the victim??

Hope they have a procedure for that situation

Old 05-26-2022, 11:28 AM

51,329 posts, read 36,992,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

I tried to cancel a 911 call once (my grandmother was having trouble breathing) in the middle of the night), but she was so upset that I called that I tried to cancel and take her myself, but they wouldn't let me, said once a call is made they have to come.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:17 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,247,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I tried to cancel a 911 call once (my grandmother was having trouble breathing) in the middle of the night), but she was so upset that I called that I tried to cancel and take her myself, but they wouldn't let me, said once a call is made they have to come.
Thank you! Good to know- makes sense!
Hope it is the same procedure in every state.

P.S. Wouldn’t let me rep your info. So thank you again!

Old 05-27-2022, 02:56 PM

9,576 posts, read 5,369,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Well, yes, that would be part of the scenario....asking you if you are being coerced in any way to claim it was a misdial. The operator would be responsible for fleshing this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events