Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 10:09 PM

26,514 posts, read 36,385,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post

I'm glad no women I know work in the same places some of the commenters in the thread work in, if they think this is appropriate in a work center during work hours even if it was consensual.
Yeah, the whole first page of this thread is full of some variation of "I'm assuming it was consensual..."

Why would anyone assume that sort of thing was "consensual?"

He'd apparently been making boorish remarks about the woman's anatomy for some time prior to the incident.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...r-guilty-plea/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 10:45 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,766,006 times
Doesnt motorboating require sticking your whole face into the chest/cleavage of female, and then nuzzling away, and then running away.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:41 PM

632 posts, read 318,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Because some people when they hear about sexual harassment, sexual assaults, or rapes automatically default to "Probably didn't happen; women are liars. And if it did happen, then she probably wanted it."
Not sure what that says about those people... or maybe I am but it's probably better not to post it since it kind of resembles some posters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Doesnt motorboating require sticking your whole face into the chest/cleavage of female, and then nuzzling away, and then running away.
I don't know if running away is usually part of it, but I guess it's not a requirement when you're an officer who believes that being able to do it is a perk of their rank.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:32 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Quote:
Yeah, the whole first page of this thread is full of some variation of "I'm assuming it was consensual..."

He'd apparently been making boorish remarks about the woman's anatomy for some time prior to the incident.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...r-guilty-plea/
No, I (and presumably most others) am just wondering how this happened, without consent, without this moron getting his ass kicked.
I can’t imagine a situation such as this with an unwilling participant going down with any less than a brutal ass whooping.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 AM

26,514 posts, read 36,385,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
No, I (and presumably most others) am just wondering how this happened, without consent, without this moron getting his ass kicked.
I can’t imagine a situation such as this with an unwilling participant going down with any less than a brutal ass whooping.
Because providing a superior officer with a "brutal ass whooping" isn't exactly done in the U.S. military? The guy was the officer-in-charge of that outpost.

Sounds like it was handled through the appropriate channels.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:24 AM

632 posts, read 318,529 times
Quote:
Handled through the appropriate channels but far from appropriately-handled.

This incident with this major comes less than a month after the slap on the wrist that was the sentence Major General William Cooley received, the first Air Force general ever convicted in a court martial. He sexually assaulted his sister-in-law; she alleges that he forcibly kissed her without permission, groped her, and tried to force her hands onto himself. He was found guilty only of forcibly kissing her without permission. His punishment was a letter of reprimand and forfeiture of almost $11K a month for five months.

The DoD regularly sends a pretty clear message on who can get away with crimes and who cannot. Not that there aren't lower-enlisted folks who escape justice all the time though; the entire system needs overhauled and the recent decisions to create special investigative organizations that will remove the decision to prosecute or not from commanders do not go far enough.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,426,236 times
Quote:
Because providing a superior officer with a "brutal ass whooping" isn't exactly done in the U.S. military? The guy was the officer-in-charge of that outpost.

I must be an odd duck then. Had a superior officer done that to me, I would have firmly planted my fist against his face.

We don't cast away our dignity and self-respect just because we join the military.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 AM

5,603 posts, read 3,035,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Not only were there other witnesses, she approached him the day before and requested that no celebration of her promotion be held. I mean, if someone is stating multiple times that they plan to assault you at your promotion pinning-on, you'll try to get out of it. He approached her the next day anyway and ordered her to stand (because an important thing to remember for the people who want to sympathize with the assaulter: he was an officer and holds power over her) before doing it anyway.

I'm glad no women I know work in the same places some of the commenters in the thread work in, if they think this is appropriate in a work center during work hours even if it was consensual.
Thanks for contributing EYEL1NER! You found out more than I knew. I didn't know that the female soldier had requested to NOT have the celebration. And I had kind of assumed people were drunk.

So...he DID deserve to lose his career and all his benefits, including his retirement.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,557,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I think it's awful behavior and deserving of punishment up to and including termination, but I hate the notion that we're always talking about taking people's retirements away for bad deeds done at work. This can't happen in the private sector, so shouldn't in the public sector either.

"You worked hard for 20 years but then did something bad in year 21 so we're going to take away your income you earned in the first 20 years". We don't even do that to murderers, let alone motorboaters.
I noticed he was National Guard on active duty—that makes a difference to me
National Guard units can vary so much in their level of professional/military-grade behavior
He was a weekend warrior out of his element
Likely did other things while on duty that were against military rules if they had taken the time/effort to investigate
And the fact they let him keep his retirement indicates (to me) that they wanted to keep the lid on other bad behavior

I wonder if the woman can file a civil suit since they were off-duty but still on military deployment

Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,426,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I think it's awful behavior and deserving of punishment up to and including termination, but I hate the notion that we're always talking about taking people's retirements away for bad deeds done at work. This can't happen in the private sector…..
It can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events