Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 04:28 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times

Advertisements

New cell phone scam in Summit County targets people helping strangers

https://www.kpcw.org/park-city/2022-...ping-strangers

Quote:
A courtesy clerk who works at Smith’s was approached by a woman in the grocery store parking lot on Saturday evening. According to Captain Andrew Wright of the Summit County Sheriff’s Office the woman asked the Smith’s employee if she could borrow her phone.

When the employee let her, the woman apparently opened the Venmo app on the phone and quickly sent someone $1,200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 04:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Gone are the days of the old flip phones. I won't let strangers use my smartphone. Instead, I'll offer to make the call for them. If that isn't good enough, sorry. Go find another phone. Today's phones have way too much personal information and easy-access apps.

Couple that with an increasingly untrustworthy society. Nope. My phone. Don't touch.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:40 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
New cell phone scam in Summit County targets people helping strangers

https://www.kpcw.org/park-city/2022-...ping-strangers
How could she do that? All my sensitive apps like PayPal and banks require fingerprint (or for modern phone, facial recognition) or password every time it’s accessed. Even my Conoco gas station app requires sign in before each use. Venmo app has no security? Are we sure this is true?

How quickly can Venmo be used? If the people aren’t already in there don’t you have to enter their bank account number address etc? Also, the bank account they used to collect the funds would be in her Venmo app and be easily caught. I don’t know if I believe the story.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How could she do that? All my sensitive apps like PayPal and banks require fingerprint (or for modern phone, facial recognition) or password every time it’s accessed. Even my Conoco gas station app requires sign in before each use. Venmo app has no security? Are we sure this is true?

How quickly can Venmo be used? If the people aren’t already in there don’t you have to enter their bank account number address etc? Also, the bank account they used to collect the funds would be in her Venmo app and be easily caught. I don’t know if I believe the story.
I don't do anything on my phone except talk and play a game now and then. Does it "remember" passwords like the computer does so we can automatically log-in? Don't know. What can a stranger access? Don't know.

My main concern is a stranger asking to borrow my phone and then running off with it.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:17 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't do anything on my phone except talk and play a game now and then. Does it "remember" passwords like the computer does so we can automatically log-in? Don't know. What can a stranger access? Don't know.

My main concern is a stranger asking to borrow my phone and then running off with it.
I still have to touch the home button with my fingertip to use the “remembered” password. When you open the app and put your finger on “log in” it will ask if I want to use my saved password but after I say yes I still have to use touch i.d. to verify myself before it will fill it in.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I still have to touch the home button with my fingertip to use the “remembered” password. When you open the app and put your finger on “log in” it will ask if I want to use my saved password but after I say yes I still have to use touch i.d. to verify myself before it will fill it in.
But wouldn't you have to do that in order for someone to make a phone call on your phone? If they ran away with the phone, they would already have access without having to concern themselves with passwords again,,, until they shut the phone off. Yes? No?

I don't use a password on my smartphone, but maybe I should. Hmmmm.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:33 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Gone are the days of the old flip phones. I won't let strangers use my smartphone. Instead, I'll offer to make the call for them. If that isn't good enough, sorry. Go find another phone. Today's phones have way too much personal information and easy-access apps.

Couple that with an increasingly untrustworthy society. Nope. My phone. Don't touch.

Agree, I would not hand anyone my cell.

Quote:

That would be my fear too, handing them the phone then they run off.

None of my apps have passwords saved so they would have to know them in order to log in. I do this for a reason.

The one way around it is to click log in with google but I'm not sure if it works for all apps.

My grandson got me for a few hundred a few months ago by buying Xbox game codes off of ebay. Some how he linked my google account to my ebay account, bought his codes, went to my emails, got the codes, then entered them into his Xbox.

I also had someone hack my ebay around the same time to where they changed my email addy and password some how.

I spent a long time on the phone with ebay putting my account on hold, I refused to make a new password, then I spent time with my bank, Bank of America who ended up sending me a letter saying we will not cover your loss. I then told them that my account was legit hacked and that I did not know what was bought by my grandson and what was bought by the hacker. I have not heard back from them yet it's been about 3 months

I do have a pin on my cell, no fingerprint because my hands get cracked when the heat gets turned on. They already started cracking. I'll have days where I barely have fingertips because they are split wide open.

Grandson was able to get into my cell because I left a game open. Had I not left it open, he couldn't get in because he doesn't know my pin, some on my computer. If he uses my tablet, there are no credit cards or passwords saved on it since then.

He doesn't understand he's stealing from me. He thinks he's putting it on my credit card which I guess he's too young to realize that I will have to pay for it.

So, be careful when letting kids use your phone too.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:35 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:

Venmo does not require a password once the phone itself is unlocked. PayPal (which owns Venmo FWIW) is different. The kids love Venmo because they get to see who reimbursed whom for pizza and who paid their football pool dues, etc. It's part FinTech, part social media.

I have three things going for me.
1. I am 62 and I'd be sized up by the scammer as someone who does not use Venmo.
2. I rarely have a large balance in Venmo.
3. I would not hand someone my phone.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:34 AM

983 posts, read 609,539 times
I don't have any of those types of apps on my phone nor do I pay for anything or open accounts with my phone.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:42 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
No one touches my phone.

First and foremost, if they drop it and cause damage, do you think a stranger is going to pay for repairs or a new phone?

Second, I don't want their dirty hands on my phone.

Third, they don't need to make the alleged call, I can make it for them if it's to a business. Otherwise, I would say it's a company phone and I'm not allowed to make personal calls on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events