Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 05:28 PM

13,465 posts, read 7,450,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure why you think it bothers me.
I'll reiterate.
Many people, especially in first world countries, have come to greatly anthropomorphize their pets. This same mind set does not always stop with pets, but bleeds over into wild animals because people y have come to attribute human characteristics and behaviors to all animals. Including animals in Yellowstone and other natural areas, in the wild, in zoos, etc. I believe this mind set does indeed contribute to the problem of people getting injured by animals. They forget that they are animals.
Most people who are injured in Yellowstone are trying to get a closer picture, or in some cases a selfie of themselves with the animal. They are not interested in making a pet out of them. Prior to the 1970's people would handfeed grizzly bears at Yellowstone has nothing to do with some made up belief you have about how 1st world nations treat their pets.

3rd world nations mistreat dogs and cats by leaving them to starve to death in the streets, or allow them to suffer with broken limbs. It's only recently that rescues in those places have started to do something about it. I would rather see a dog or cat be euthanized then left to suffer in the streets of a 3rd world nation.

You must be bothered by people who put a costume on their pet for Halloween because you mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 12:15 PM

37,817 posts, read 41,123,733 times
At Assateague National Seashore, they used to post photos around of peoples' bitten naked backs and arms so the idiots know when they're told not to approach the wild horses or be bit would know they mean it. Not sure if they still do that. Didn't go inside their Visitors Center or bathrooms last month when I was there.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:28 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Most people who are injured in Yellowstone are trying to get a closer picture, or in some cases a selfie of themselves with the animal. They are not interested in making a pet out of them. Prior to the 1970's people would handfeed grizzly bears at Yellowstone has nothing to do with some made up belief you have about how 1st world nations treat their pets.

3rd world nations mistreat dogs and cats by leaving them to starve to death in the streets, or allow them to suffer with broken limbs. It's only recently that rescues in those places have started to do something about it. I would rather see a dog or cat be euthanized then left to suffer in the streets of a 3rd world nation.

You must be bothered by people who put a costume on their pet for Halloween because you mentioned it.
You completely missed the point of what she said.

Old 06-07-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's your opinion my opinion is that tourist getting injured at Yellowstone have nothing to do with the way someone treats their pets at home. Yellowstone has had this problem ever since it was a national park people getting too close to wild animals long before some made up belief that people today "anthropomorphize their pets".

Old 06-07-2022, 01:36 PM

51,148 posts, read 36,837,750 times
Quote:
I don't think he did. He specifically stated a reason why people get close to animals that has nothing to do with anthropomorphizing animals. I personally also think that's a ridiculous argument. I grew up with Pooh and Yogi and had Teddy bears, but it didn't make me think real bears are tame. Nor do most people. Everyone my age grew up with that stuff but still the majority of people don't go near wild animals.

Nor is baby-talking my cat or kissing her chubby little belly going to make me think it's okay to try to pet a cougar. There is no rational basis for such an argument.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:50 PM

She said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure why you think it bothers me.
I'll reiterate.
Many people, especially in first world countries, have come to greatly anthropomorphize their pets. This same mind set does not always stop with pets, but bleeds over into wild animals because people y have come to attribute human characteristics and behaviors to all animals. Including animals in Yellowstone and other natural areas, in the wild, in zoos, etc. I believe this mind set does indeed contribute to the problem of people getting injured by animals. They forget that they are animals.
She did NOT in any way, shape or form, say people in Yellowstone are trying "to make a pet out of them". Her main point is what I underlined. And then you take this wild leap into 3rd world nations and Halloween costumes. WTH

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's your opinion my opinion is that tourist getting injured at Yellowstone have nothing to do with the way someone treats their pets at home. Yellowstone has had this problem ever since it was a national park people getting too close to wild animals long before some made up belief that people today "anthropomorphize their pets".
No, it is not my opinion. You took something a poster said and deliberately tried to make it sound as if she said something she didn't in order to justify some rant you wanted to express that was completely irrelevant. Sorry, but this is an all-too-common stupid Internet trick that drives me nuts when it's done to me.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that because of our removal from nature and the unrealistic way society looks at animals that a person may view a wild animal in a foolish manner. I agree with her that this could contribute to the behavior.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-08-2022 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: active verb

Old 06-07-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think he did. He specifically stated a reason why people get close to animals that has nothing to do with anthropomorphizing animals. I personally also think that's a ridiculous argument. I grew up with Pooh and Yogi and had Teddy bears, but it didn't make me think real bears are tame. Nor do most people. Everyone my age grew up with that stuff but still the majority of people don't go near wild animals.

Nor is baby-talking my cat or kissing her chubby little belly going to make me think it's okay to try to pet a cougar. There is no rational basis for such an argument.
But that's you. It's not everybody. Remember some years back that kid getting eaten at the Brooklyn Zoo because he and his friend thought polar bears were afraid of water and went swimming in their den? Some of those kids who live to be adults don't get any smarter.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:20 AM

Quote:
She said:

She did NOT in any way, shape or form, say people in Yellowstone are trying "to make a pet out of them". Her main point is what I underlined. And then you take this wild leap into 3rd world nations and Halloween costumes. WTH

No, it is not my opinion. You took something a poster said and deliberately tried to make it sound as if she said something she didn't in order to justify some rant you wanted to express that was completely irrelevant. Sorry, but this is an all-too-common stupid Internet trick that drives me nuts when it's done to me.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that because of our removal from nature and the unrealistic way society looks at animals that a person may view a wild animal in a foolish manner. I agree with her that this could contribute to the behavior.
We can agree to disagree sorry I don't agree with you no matter how many times you say it.

Quote:
But that's you. It's not everybody. Remember some years back that kid getting eaten at the Brooklyn Zoo because he and his friend thought polar bears were afraid of water and went swimming in their den? Some of those kids who live to be adults don't get any smarter.
Kids do lot of irresponsible things has nothing to do with the way adults treat their pets.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:13 AM

36,791 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

In the beginning and prior to 1970, the park encouraged people to feed the bears (even though it was against the rules). They had trucks that dumped food scraps to attract bears so people could get photos. They did this to attract visitors. https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...g%20excursions.
It was even suggested that back then Yogi and Bobo served as examples of anthropomorphism relating to the bears at Yellowstone. https://www.yellowstonepark.com/thin...ot-feed-bears/

I'm not suggesting people are trying to make pets out of the animals in Yellowstone. I'm not talking about pets other than a reference I made about how very much Americans anthropomorphize their pets.

anthropomorphism: the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:43 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,166,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
At Assateague National Seashore, they used to post photos around of peoples' bitten naked backs and arms so the idiots know when they're told not to approach the wild horses or be bit would know they mean it. Not sure if they still do that. Didn't go inside their Visitors Center or bathrooms last month when I was there.
I feel no sympathy for those idiots, except for the little kids with the idiot parents. All those idiots are the main cause of the poor horses being hit by cars in Assateague, Chincoteague, Corolla/Carova and Sandbridge. It's hard to resist petting them especially the babies but even I resist when they come knocking on the beach house doors. We once had a foal walk right into the rec room while we were hauling stuff upstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events