Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 10 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times

Advertisements

Born in Cambridge, England with Jewish German ancestry, before brought up in Australia and then heading to the US and stardom.

Olivia came from an interesting family and he father Brinley Newton-John having been the Headmaster at the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys (1946-54), and was in this position when Olivia was born.

Roger Waters and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd fame later both attended the Cambridgeshire High School for Boys, with and Waters later complaining about the brutality of the teachers and bullying, thereby inspiring the single 'Another Brick in the Wall', which was written by Waters in 1979.

Early life - Olive Newton-John - Wikipedia

Cambridgeshire High School for Boys - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-09-2022 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 08:20 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submom85 View Post
I honestly thought I might be the only person who actually liked Xanadu, or at least the music. I admit I saw the flaws and campiness, but as someone who read lots of mythology as a child, I kind of loved the muse idea and I thought the music was really fun. I remember as a 12 year old, actually skating around my house to this song. I wanted to be her for Halloween (the scene where all the muses come to life and the scene where she’s skating to this song) but I never put the costume together. Sadly at some point in one of our family’s moves all our precious vinyl was lost-I had Xanadu AND Grease. My husband lost a lot of old classic country albums, like Hank Williams Sr…
You were not alone. I was really into this film, and as much as because of the ELO music (which otherwise was a group I didn't particularly care for) as ONJ. But I really liked a lot of ONJ's music.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:57 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
The thing I will always remember about Olivia Newton-John is that I always thought she had one of the most beautiful, clearest, purest voices, whether singing or just speaking. It's like she was born to sing. She will be missed. RIP.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
The thing I will always remember about Olivia Newton-John is that I always thought she had one of the most beautiful, clearest, purest voices, whether singing or just speaking. It's like she was born to sing. She will be missed. RIP.
Spot on. She was a great part of that era in Hollywood that actually made wholesome family movies.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:01 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Spot on. She was a great part of that era in Hollywood that actually made wholesome family movies.
ummm you know Grease was not exactly wholesome..........they actually have some really vulgar terms in there.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:18 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,310 times
Very sad. I preferred her music before she made it really big in the U.S., but she deserved all the glory. I think Australians called her "lovely Livvy."

Old 08-09-2022, 08:32 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Let me be there....I've been mellow. And I'm hopelessly devoted to her "country" phase.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:18 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
You didn't have to be rude. If you would have been more interested in the story other than bashing me, you would have read that there was a manhunt, we lived not too far from the incident, I wasn't scared of a lake, and it did have something to do with ONJ.

And I'm so SORRY that I didn't make a lot of sense.
I was far more interested in the story than I was in bashing you. As I already said, I looked up the story and read it. It was a legally significant case as well as a weird story. And yeah, he had an obsession with ONJ.

So, just read your posts next time to make sure they tell the story you want to tell. I am always proofreading and editing my own posts.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:50 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
They lit up the sails of the Opera House in Sydney for her the other night. In pink. Looked lovely. Also some buildings in Melbourne but not sure which.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:59 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
With all due respect to Olivia Newton-John and her "Aussie" status ...ONJ (English by birth) gave up Australia - as many artists do - once fame and fortune came their way. And yet, a State-Funeral is planned for her.

One of the most patriotic "Aussie" (Gee, I HATE that term!) songs is "I Still call Australia Home". It was written by Peter Allen who, in actuality, left Australia for good and preferred to call the U.S. HOME! Australians still suffer from a huge inferiority complex and must claim whoever they can as "fellow Australians" ...just as long as they are successful, of course. As for the slang term "Aussie" (or, worse, "Oz") ...this indicates 'immaturity', an indication that Australians have not yet come of age. Can you imagine Americans commonly referring to themselves as "Yankees" and being taken seriously...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events