Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 02:05 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Big bull moose can be huge and are very territorial esp during the "rut".

Hunting with arrows is a bit like throwing rocks at a bear. You better hit him exactly right or else you will get an enraged animal hunting you.

I am not a hunter, but I don't look down on proper hunters who follow rules and are ethical. Hunt for food, don't waste anything in the harvest and make sure you put them down fast.

And BTW if you are not vegetarian, you have no right to criticize hunters.
Do most hunters hunt for food? Real question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 02:08 PM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
The hunters that I know - yes.

They are not trophy hunters that just go for the big racks or whatever. They are there first and foremost for the wild game meat.

I have zero respect for trophy hunters. People who will kill a lion for the bragging rights to killing one does not impress me.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:09 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Food chain.
But a moose is a vegan. Humans, armed or not, aren't on their menu. The food chain has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:14 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
My honey will eat the deer meat if he gets one, but that is not the reason he goes hunting. I think most hunters do it for sport, but still don’t waste the animal.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My honey will eat the deer meat if he gets one, but that is not the reason he goes hunting. I think most hunters do it for sport, but still don’t waste the animal.
What is "sport?" Real question.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:19 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But a moose is a vegan. Humans, armed or not, aren't on their menu. The food chain has nothing to do with it.
Doesn't mean you can wander around in the woods and expect to not get attacked by one. I'm not the one that brought up the ridiculous vegan vs carnivore claim in this thread. See post #3.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If hunters were really in it for "sport" they wouldn't bring any weapons with them other than their bodies, which is all any animal has to work with yet you see an animal can do far more damage to an unarmed human. Moose can kill a person if they are inclined to do so.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:38 PM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If hunters were really in it for "sport" they wouldn't bring any weapons with them other than their bodies, which is all any animal has to work with yet you see an animal can do far more damage to an unarmed human. Moose can kill a person if they are inclined to do so.
Your statement clearly shows that you know nothing about hunting. If you think that just bringing a gun / bow into the fray makes it easy to get an animal in their habitat, then you are naive.

Ask any hunter, the average hunt takes the whole day if not days in many areas. Shooting a deer / animal at 200 yards is not easy. An ethical hunter will not take a proper kill shot if they can't do it with a high degree of probabliity.

It is a challenge and hence a "sport".

Old 09-14-2022, 02:42 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:

Yes. I know many people who hunt (and fish) to put food on the family's table.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:46 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
What is "sport?" Real question.
A "real" answer is that many hunters don't totally rely on game to feed themselves. The majority of their food comes from the supermarket or the livestock they produce. They hunt because they appreciate or enjoy the traditions involved with adding wild sourced meat to their diet. So, it could be considered sport, not total necessity. If someone hunts essentially to put food on the table, the proper term for that is subsistence. Subsistence harvest of game usually operates under different regulations and laws. You can add a layer of ethics or philosophy into this if you wish, but that's a different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events