Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 06:11 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
No I didn't think they were in a single 2 story building.

So help me understand, why do they need 25 worldwide offices? I'm serious. Thanks!
It's the very definition of a multi-national company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 08:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
At least he understands the concept of the First Amendment
Twitter announces permanent bans for people who post from parody accounts mocking Elon Musk-

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fr...im-11667781449

Quote:
That came after a number of prominent verified Twitter users — including comedians Kathy Griffin and Sarah Silverman and actress Valerie Bertinelli — switched their account names to read “Elon Musk” to prove that Musk’s new plan to give blue verification checkmarks to anyone who’ll pay $8 a month is flawed, allowing anyone with $8 to impersonate anyone else and potentially spread disinformation. As of Sunday night, Griffin’s account was suspended, while Silverman and Bertinelli had gone back to their real names.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I didn't claim that there were such reports. The term "probably" indicates I was speculating.
That's an absurd assumption when the standard for a full time job is 35-40 hours/week. You may work 10 hours/week, but that is in no way standard.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:16 AM

99,499 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Twitter now asking some laid-off employees to come back:

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/...HP-Latest-News

Old 11-07-2022, 09:01 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Expecting people to work 80+ hours on a continuous basis is not realistic. This is typically an indication of a company in serious trouble, a company that's badly managed, or perhaps both. It's not good for one's health or family life. I've been there, and it sucks.

I have no idea how many people it should realistically take to support Twitter's business, and it's doubtful anyone posting here knows this unless they work for a similar company. When I was younger I'd sometimes ask friends/family how many people they thought it takes to design a state-of-art microprocessor (what I was doing at the time). The guesses were always way too low, by a factor of 10x or more.

Yes, there's a natural tendency for companies to become bloated over time, and it's not unusual for new management to step in and "shake things up". However, it takes some time to understand where the problems are at, and what can be cut. There's not been anywhere near enough time since the transaction closed for this process to take place. What we're seeing is the knee jerk reaction of a narcissist who is angry he was forced to follow through on a contract he wrote that may well end up costing him tens of billions of dollars.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:24 AM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Reports are that Musk was expecting 80 hour work weeks out of many employees. The desire not to work that kind of schedule these days cuts across political beliefs for many Americans, especially when your employer is privately held and you don’t have the lure of high dollar stock options.
Don't conclude that employees won't have the lure of equity. After all, pre-IPO Twitter was private held and issued stock options. Elon can and most likely will issue equity and stock options to employees. Elon wants remaining employees to have an incentive for extraordinary performance.

I believe after Elon implements his plans, at some point he'll take the company public again. Current employees will profit handsomely, just like any other private company that goes through IPO.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:32 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Twitter now asking some laid-off employees to come back:

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/...HP-Latest-News

Tech insider Casey Newton tweeted Saturday that some Twitter employees are getting called back in after getting sacked Friday. Those who are being asked to return, according to Insider, were key to Twitter’s operations; it is unclear why these individuals were chosen to be laid off in the first place.

-----

Pretty interesting. It just shows that Musk is on an ill-conceived scorched earth campaign, laying off people willy nilly without understanding what most of them actually do.

This is the perfect opportunity for a competitor to hire these people. I'll guess that Twitter is an irrelevant company in a couple of years.

Last edited by hikernut; 11-07-2022 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-07-2022, 09:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Apparently the "blue check badge" given to verified posters was for sale. Thousands of Twitter monitors who were assigned specific topics to control. It was definitely time for some serious housecleaning.

“Verification” – Individual accounts on Twitter could request to be ‘verified’ by Twitter to validate their identity as a specific user of the platform. This is the “blue check” process that assigns a blue check badge to the user upon verification.

Apparently, the verification badge morphed into some form of enhanced credibility for the user almost like a tiered social system or class system. The ‘Blue Checks’ considered themselves more important than the average user and that verification system then became something of a status symbol.

Inside the administration system of Twitter, the assignment of the verification badge became a tool for the Twitter admins to elevate some user accounts as more important than others.

However, apparently with the new management in place, it has been discovered that verification badge status was also for sale. For a secret fee, if you knew the right people, you could purchase a verified status. Of course, no one ever knew this before, and it seems very sketchy.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...t/#more-239490

Old 11-07-2022, 09:38 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
How so? The government did not own Twitter.

https://xkcd.com/1357/
Technically correct.

The problem comes from the government having bestowed special anti-trust status on monopolies like Twitter and Facebook, shielding them from liability. Modify those protections, and then I am with you. They constantly abuse these liability protections to unfairly target people who have no recourse for redress.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:28 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

“Verification” – Individual accounts on Twitter could request to be ‘verified’ by Twitter to validate their identity as a specific user of the platform. This is the “blue check” process that assigns a blue check badge to the user upon verification.

Apparently, the verification badge morphed into some form of enhanced credibility for the user almost like a tiered social system or class system. The ‘Blue Checks’ considered themselves more important than the average user and that verification system then became something of a status symbol.
I don't know that it was ever a status symbol, per se. Verification was always intended to show that the person with the blue check was actually the person or entity that they are. As was demonstrated over the weekend, if anyone can say that they're Elon Musk, misinformation and fraud can be rampant. Users want to know that information was coming directly from the source, not from another user having a laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events