Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 06:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times

Advertisements

It's hard to believe anyone could know it's Kristallnacht, without having ANY context about what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 09:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I read about a school principal who did the same thing, broadcasting over the school P.A. system, "Happy Kristalnacht."
I'm Jewish, and have had people wish me a "Happy Yom Kippur."

Old 11-10-2022, 10:23 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
It's pretty easily explained. Reichskristallnacht is a day of remembrance in Germany, which is not quite the same as a public holiday and obviously not 'celebrated', but observed. Many websites that list 'holidays' for different countries do put actual holidays and days of remembrance together in one of category though.

Someone in the social media marketing team probably thought 'hey let's send notifications to all of our app users on all holidays as part of our engagement strategy' and linked these push notifications to a calendar of special occasions. The calendar likely pulled this info from a database that put all special days, holidays and remembrance days, together, and nobody vetted the calendar to make sure every marked day is appropriate.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:06 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,757 times
Oh sheesh, really, I know what it was, but then I'm 66 years old. A distant relative of my father's Dr.Werner Hilpert aided jewish business people and had his offices wrecked during KristallNacht, he was a member of Catholic Action, and later spent time in Buchenwald. This is almost as bad as young people taking selfies at Auschwitz. I remember when we were kids and if we didn't want to eat, momma and daddy would tell us to remember the starving Armenians. He was born in 1919 and she in 1925, so they weren't that far removed in time from the events that took place there in the 1900s. They all whine and complain because something is not PC,etc. Yet, how do we work to try to prevent things like this happening again, regardless of race or religion UNLESS we learn about it?

Old 11-11-2022, 09:34 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's pretty easily explained. Reichskristallnacht is a day of remembrance in Germany, which is not quite the same as a public holiday and obviously not 'celebrated', but observed. Many websites that list 'holidays' for different countries do put actual holidays and days of remembrance together in one of category though.

Someone in the social media marketing team probably thought 'hey let's send notifications to all of our app users on all holidays as part of our engagement strategy' and linked these push notifications to a calendar of special occasions. The calendar likely pulled this info from a database that put all special days, holidays and remembrance days, together, and nobody vetted the calendar to make sure every marked day is appropriate.

One would hope that the process is set up so that a human/team is in charge of approving each actual notification before it goes live.

In this case, perhaps someone did. If not, perhaps they will now.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:42 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
One would hope that the process is set up so that a human/team is in charge of approving each actual notification before it goes live.

In this case, perhaps someone did. If not, perhaps they will now.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone was just told to make sure the list is OK, but that person may not have been especially thorough/detail-oriented. Unfortunately that's more common than one thinks...

Old 11-11-2022, 02:28 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
"an error in our system."

My guess is that translates to a younger employee tasked with social media duties, who has no idea what transpired on Kristallnacht, but just saw it pop-up on the calendar and figured it was another local holiday
^^^This. Young and quite possibly foreign...especially if it was some sort of automated database feed.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:37 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,146,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
"an error in our system."

My guess is that translates to a younger employee tasked with social media duties, who has no idea what transpired on Kristallnacht, but just saw it pop-up on the calendar and figured it was another local holiday
I wondered that too but it worries me that he wouldn't think to look further into the day, with Germany's horrific Nazi period.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:52 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I wondered that too but it worries me that he wouldn't think to look further into the day, with Germany's horrific Nazi period.
We have people all the time walking around in Che t-shirts without a clue what he was about.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:09 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,599,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Pogrom means "an organized massacre of a particular ethnic group, in particular that of Jewish people in Russia or eastern Europe."

How does anybody make a mistake like that?! That's insane.
And you wonder why Europe is slipping back into accepting "Government Uber Alles" once again, less than a hundred years after their own government tried to impose it on the rest of the world by force (and almost succeeded).

It's not because today's people have forgotten it. It's because they never learned it in the first place.

Their ancestors are rolling over in their graves. And from not many generations ago.

Last edited by Roboteer; 11-11-2022 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events