Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 06:36 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
What I've always worried about is if the time comes when people no longer need to raise animals for consumption, will they just disappear like all the other animals that have disappeared because humans took no active interest in them? Will we see them in history books? Only zoos? Humans have a way of making animals disappear if we don't consume them.

Oh dear I can't stop.

Then it will be The Veldt.

Sorry, I know your post is serious and those are valid questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 07:38 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
So instead of country of origin we'll see country of creation?

Old 11-21-2022, 08:04 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think it's great! There is no downside here. Cleaner, more ethical, no animal suffering and no disease.

I am fine with having this option. I would give it a try once and see how it tastes. My house in Oklahoma is surrounding by farms. Lots with cattle. One in particular raises calf's for veil. They have chains around their feet. I feel bad for the little guys. If we could raise quality meat without killing animals to do that I am all for it.

I tried the beyond beef stuff one time. Horrible nothing like real meat.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:32 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Impossible tastes very much like ground beef. Likely the difference between using soy vs chickpeas used for Beyond. There is some controversy over the heavy consumption of soy (especially non-organic, GMO, etc) so Beyond comes into play for those wanting to steer clear.

But yeah, gotta give it to Impossible… it is VERY close to ground beef in taste and texture.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:53 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Impossible tastes very much like ground beef. Likely the difference between using soy vs chickpeas used for Beyond. There is some controversy over the heavy consumption of soy (especially non-organic, GMO, etc) so Beyond comes into play for those wanting to steer clear.

But yeah, gotta give it to Impossible… it is VERY close to ground beef in taste and texture.
I agree. Impossible is the best.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:08 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am fine with having this option. I would give it a try once and see how it tastes. My house in Oklahoma is surrounding by farms. Lots with cattle. One in particular raises calf's for veil. They have chains around their feet. I feel bad for the little guys. If we could raise quality meat without killing animals to do that I am all for it.

Impossible is better than Beyond.
I can eat both, though.

I feel bad for the animals too. Watching what goes on as animals are transported to a slaughterhouse, brings tears to my eyes. And to theirs. They are shaking and frightened. They know instinctively what is about to happen. Some are kicked, prodded with electric prods. Baby pigs are slammed against the floor. Because they are crying.

This just isn't normal. We can do better than that.

Lab created meat is a step forward in every way. The other problem are hormones that are released when animals are terrified. We release enough of them on our own. Ingesting terror has been linked with cancer.

I will try lab created meat. I won't ear it every day, just as I don't eat fake meat every day. If it's good, I will eat it. I think most animal lovers will. I hate seeing terrified animals on their way to their death, crammed in trucks in heat and cold.

This is science and progress at its best.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So instead of country of origin we'll see country of creation?
Will we get that info?

Remember when they were going to kill chickens in the US and send them overseas for processing? I don't remember what the end result was but there was talk of them not being labeled as such. I really have to look into that.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:18 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think it's great! There is no downside here. Cleaner, more ethical, no animal suffering and no disease.
Read up on the ever ongoing current and past FDA food recalls due to contamination and learn about prion type diseases.

Also read how the agriculture is impossible- soil depletion- without animals and their manure; their so called “unusable “ parts argument s by fake food lobbyists - they are very much needed.

We only learned to manufacture a few basic chemicals as fertilizers - which in the long run create more problems than they solve.

As of now the most prominent soil scientists have no clue /not able to research/don’t know of the most important part of soil life - biological. They can’t even identify millions of microorganisms working in the soil to supply the soil > the plants > the animals > the humans with nutrients.

Healthy humankind life depends on it - unless one hates people..

Just to start.
While there read the FDA recommendations how to maintain factories to prevent contamination. Fact check: they hardly check it
Read how many rats hairs allowed in manufacturing of food products.

The mankind is full of mad profit hungry or naive and/or ignorant of bigger picture with the tunnel vision syndrome scientists and stupid gullible consumers

Last edited by L00k4ward; 11-22-2022 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 06:29 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I wonder what they feed these blobs to make them grow.Grass,grain or sewage
“The process of making cultivated meat is similar to brewing beer, in that this is an industrial cell culture process based upon well-hewn fermentation technology,” says Schuzle. “However, instead of growing yeast or bacteria, we grow animal cells. We start by taking a small amount of cells from high-quality livestock animals, like a cow or chicken, and then figure out which of those cells have the ability to multiply and form delicious meat food products.

“From there, we put the cells in a clean-and-controlled environment and provide them with the essential nutrients they need to naturally replicate and mature. In essence, we can recreate the conditions that naturally exist inside an animal’s body so that the cells can continue growing. Once the meat is ready, we harvest it, process it like conventional meat products, and then package, cook or otherwise prepare it for consumption.”

https://www.livescience.com/lab-grown-meat

Old 11-22-2022, 06:34 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Ok. So ultimately, the "food" produced will not come from animals at all. My mind and gut says there is something seriously wrong with this. Human bodies, all species actually, are designed to function best on real food, the food they were designed to eat by nature itself.

The craziness we see these days comes, at least in part, because of the poisons in our food supply. How is this going to be better? It will be full of chemicals, won't it? How else will the nutrition be there?

Oh well, I hopefully won't have to worry about it. For my remaining time I will continue try to eat real food, and feed my pets real food (the food they were designed by nature to eat)

For some reason that old Bowie song is running through my head "take your protein pills and put your helmets on...."

And what was that old scifi book...they took pills instead of eating. I suppose there are more than one, but the one I remember was a well known author I think....darn can't think of the title or the author. It was good, too, I'd like to read it again if anyone can tell me what it was.
It IS real food, there is nothing artificial in it. There are zero chemicals. They are simply replicating cells. The original cells will come from animals, but they can use the cells from one animal many, many times over.

We have the luxury of saying "Well, I won't eat it" but there are millions of people in the world starving who might feel differently. Everything isn't about us. If science can prevent babies with bloated bellies from suffering, who are we to say "Well, I don't like it". This is NOT being done to compete with Impossible burgers or any other market. There aren't going to be lab grown burgers in Burger King along with the other fare. It has not one thing to do with marketing, it is so much bigger than that.

Raising livestock is also a bigger contributor to greenhouse gases than all the cars in the US put together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events