Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:46 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But wouldnt a different doctor know the extent of his previous surgery and say enough.

That's also what I was thinking at first. Just wondered if maybe it's different in other countries. Could be that he was going to different doctors who didn't care about the outcome, only the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 08:47 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares
But wouldn't a different doctor know the extent of his previous surgery and say enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
That's also what I was thinking at first. Just wondered if maybe it's different in other countries. Could be that he was going to different doctors who didn't care about the outcome, only the money.
I think you hit the nail on the head. He needed help and any good doctor that had morals (a rare commodity today) should have stepped in and refused to do the surgery and gotten him the psychological help that he needed. But doctors are only interested in making money, not getting to the root of the problem.

If the studio he was signed up with wanted him to get the surgery, chances are good that they are the ones who paid for it.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:29 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
who in the heck paid for all those surgeries? at 22 i was happy to afford groceries, there was no way i could afford 1 plastic surgery let alone 12 of 'em!
You were not a co-star in a TV series.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:10 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares
But wouldn't a different doctor know the extent of his previous surgery and say enough.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He needed help and any good doctor that had morals (a rare commodity today) should have stepped in and refused to do the surgery and gotten him the psychological help that he needed. But doctors are only interested in making money, not getting to the root of the problem.

If the studio he was signed up with wanted him to get the surgery, chances are good that they are the ones who paid for it.
And to add to that, chances are the doctors who would take him on for additional surgeries are not likely to be the best doctors either, furthering the chances for bad results and complications.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:29 AM

55 posts, read 29,578 times
It is beyond pitiful that this guy thought so little of his appearance. Very pathetic story of our times.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:02 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wouldn’t call it vanity. His agent called it insecurity. And unfortunately it probably is a necessary evil in some aspects of entertainment business to succeed.
Perhaps vanity is not the right word. Still cant convince me that that much surgery, to change ones appearance that much is any kind of necessity.
It is sad that today so many people are so obsessed with their physical appearance that it destroys their life. Perhaps too many people never face enough hardship and adversity to be thankful for what they already have. Maybe I can garner just a drop of sympathy for his mental illness and having no one to support him in a mentally positive way.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:25 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps vanity is not the right word. Still cant convince me that that much surgery, to change ones appearance that much is any kind of necessity.
It is sad that today so many people are so obsessed with their physical appearance that it destroys their life. Perhaps too many people never face enough hardship and adversity to be thankful for what they already have. Maybe I can garner just a drop of sympathy for his mental illness and having no one to support him in a mentally positive way.
You have to remember the world he was in. He was in the entertainment business, a world that is all about appearances. Where women eat carrot sticks for dinner cause if they gain 5 pounds they won't get hired, and who get cosmetic surgery because if they look over 30, they won't get hired. Throw in someone who is already insecure, which his agent said described him, and it's more understandable how someone could be obsessed with looks.

It really isn't that much different than pro athletes who were injecting themselves with steroids to be better, to keep their jobs or to get hired in the first place. And not caring what it did to their insides or their brains, or if they got cancer (Lyle Alzado, former footballer who spent his last 6 months on earth telling kids not to use steroids and blaming them for his brain tumor). Better, faster, stronger, was all that counted.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:51 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You have to remember the world he was in. He was in the entertainment business, a world that is all about appearances. Where women eat carrot sticks for dinner cause if they gain 5 pounds they won't get hired, and who get cosmetic surgery because if they look over 30, they won't get hired. Throw in someone who is already insecure, which his agent said described him, and it's more understandable how someone could be obsessed with looks.

It really isn't that much different than pro athletes who were injecting themselves with steroids to be better, to keep their jobs or to get hired in the first place. And not caring what it did to their insides or their brains, or if they got cancer (Lyle Alzado, former footballer who spent his last 6 months on earth telling kids not to use steroids and blaming them for his brain tumor). Better, faster, stronger, was all that counted.
I realize that. I also realize we all have choices. Some more so than others.

Old 04-26-2023, 01:38 PM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
In Los Angeles the women have facelifts but can't lift the skin on their arms which look awful. The husbands are older but look much better as they haven't been in the sun.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:37 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
In Los Angeles the women have facelifts but can't lift the skin on their arms which look awful. The husbands are older but look much better as they haven't been in the sun.
You can get the excess skin removed and tightened. They have to do this frequently for very obese people who get bariatric surgery and lose 100+ pounds. It's expensive for the entire body but just arms shouldn't be that much. I had liposuction in my late 30's and that was one of the areas I had done, and it looked much tighter afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events