Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 12:20 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Three Colorado teens (all 18-year-old high school seniors) are accused of driving around and throwing large rocks at passing cars, one of which investigators say killed a 20-year-old woman, allegedly circled back to take a photo of her crashed car as a “memento."
Nicholas “Mitch” Karol-Chik told investigators that Joseph Koenig slowed down so Zachary Kwak could get a photo of the car where authorities say Alexa Bartell died after being hit in the head with a rock on April 19, according to arrest affidavits for the 18-year-olds. In a hint at a possible motive, Karol-Chik said all three got excited every time they hit a car with a rock that night....
Karol-Chik told investigators with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office that he and Koenig had thrown rocks and even a statue at passing cars on at least 10 other days before Bartell was killed. Kwak heard about what they were doing and asked to join them on April 19, according to Karol-Chick, the documents said.
Koenig’s father was also arrested for allegedly trying to obstruct his son's arrest, the sheriff's office said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-photo-9891662

Photos of those criminals here:
https://www.kake.com/story/48803597/...r-as-a-memento

What's wrong with the society? What's wrong with so many young people nowadays?
You're asking what's wrong with the young people? Take a look at the parents! The father of one of them tried to obstruct his son's arrest?! Someone DIED as a result of the group's actions, but dad thinks his son shouldn't have to pay??

Unfortunately, there have been reports for decades of young people (usually younger than 18, though) dropping rocks off of pedestrian overpasses over freeways onto cars passing below. As a result, may pedestrian overpasses now have wire netting preventing anything from falling below. How to explain this bizarre "pastime" some kids become fascinated with? I don't know. It's disturbing, to say the least.

afterthought: IDK, those kids don't look like the brightest bulbs in the school. Maybe there was neglectful or abusive parenting. Maybe there was alcoholism or drug use among the adults in the family. There's got to be a backstory to this, and to the father trying to obstruct justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 12:35 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I had a rock thrown at me from an oncoming vehicle years ago. I have no idea why I was the target. It was a rock about the size of a pool ball. Luckily I had my window open and it just missed my head and hit the plastic on the door frame. I was driving 50mph at the time and the oncoming car was going about the same. It would have killed me had it hit my head.

I have a friend that was hit in the back by a full can of beer while biking. Luckily it hit him in a non-vital area; had it hit him in the head he would have been dead.

I've had several incidents over the years with idiot teenagers doing stupid things without considering the consequences. One of my favorites was when I was on leave just after Marine Corps boot camp. A couple of teens threw one of those "pop rocks" at my car so I turned around and followed them. They pulled over and both got out looking like they wanted to fight. I got out of my car and all of a sudden it was "I'm sorry, it was only a pop rock" total submission. Hopefully, they learned not to be stupid that day. (I am 6'6" and at the time was in the best shape of my life)

Old 04-28-2023, 12:39 PM

735 posts, read 408,490 times
This sounds like jail time for manslaughter (I wish 2nd degree murder though).

Old 04-28-2023, 12:49 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
This sounds like jail time for manslaughter (I wish 2nd degree murder though).

Colorado statutes define first degree murder as - among other things :

A person commits the crime of murder in the
first degree if:

(d) Under circumstances evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme
indifference to the value of human life generally, he knowingly engages in conduct which
creates a grave risk of death to a person, or persons, other than himself, and thereby causes the
death of another;

I would certainly say that a strong case can be made for this to be the case here. I think the fact they went back to look at the wreck and took pictures and then had excited conversations amongst themselves is going to be strong evidence to back the accusation of 'universal malice' and 'extreme indifference to the value of human life'.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:02 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

first degree if:

(d) Under circumstances evidencing an attitude of universal malice manifesting extreme
indifference to the value of human life generally, he knowingly engages in conduct which
creates a grave risk of death to a person, or persons, other than himself, and thereby causes the
death of another;

I would certainly say that a strong case can be made for this to be the case here. I think the fact they went back to look at the wreck and took pictures and then had excited conversations amongst themselves is going to be strong evidence to back the accusation of 'universal malice' and 'extreme indifference to the value of human life'.
Yup. They really cooked their own goose (geese?) when they went back to take trophy photos. Like the people who post photos of their crimes on their FB pages. How dumb can you get?

Old 04-28-2023, 01:05 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
A similar incident happened in PA about 10 years ago. A family from Ohio was driving home and some teenage boys threw a large rock through the windshield from an overpass. The mother was left brain damaged, to the extent that she had to be spoon fed and her diaper changed several times a day. The husband committed suicide about a year later.

Decades ago a one year old baby was killed in NYC when kids threw a bowling ball off a bridge and hit the family's car.

You can put up high fencing around overpasses but you can't stop people throwing objects out of a moving vehicle.
Is that the same baby? An 8 month old baby was killed by a thrown bowling ball from an overpass but was in 1995 in Jersey City.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:07 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I had a rock thrown at me from an oncoming vehicle years ago. I have no idea why I was the target. It was a rock about the size of a pool ball. Luckily I had my window open and it just missed my head and hit the plastic on the door frame. I was driving 50mph at the time and the oncoming car was going about the same. It would have killed me had it hit my head.

I have a friend that was hit in the back by a full can of beer while biking. Luckily it hit him in a non-vital area; had it hit him in the head he would have been dead.

I've had several incidents over the years with idiot teenagers doing stupid things without considering the consequences. One of my favorites was when I was on leave just after Marine Corps boot camp. A couple of teens threw one of those "pop rocks" at my car so I turned around and followed them. They pulled over and both got out looking like they wanted to fight. I got out of my car and all of a sudden it was "I'm sorry, it was only a pop rock" total submission. Hopefully, they learned not to be stupid that day. (I am 6'6" and at the time was in the best shape of my life)
I had a guy once throw a glass bottle at my open window from a convertible on the highway. He was mad I got in front of him to pass a dump truck but he threw the bottle after I moved back to the right. Not a teen though looked like 30’s.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:21 PM

735 posts, read 408,490 times
Default great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

first degree if:

death of another;

Great news, they will have all the time in the world to take pictures now.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:40 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,940,856 times
It's cases like this that I wish we had stoning as a punishment in this country.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:12 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
It’s been going on for years and despite efforts to educate the public and installing mesh barriers on overpasses and criminal prosecutions we still get these morons who think it’s a fun activity. I guess cow tipping or bashing in mailboxes got old
The fact they went back to photograph the crashed car adds a very sick element.
I hope the victims family gets justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events