Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 01:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

So this was headline news everywhere.

Megyn Kelly, never one to let a humorous story about the former royals go untold, was quick to point out that it's only Harry and Meghan who claim it was near catastrophic.

The NYPD spokesman pointedly said he wouldn't characterize it that way, although it was maybe a little chaotic.

No arrests were made.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/p...york-rcna84865

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-17-2023 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 01:30 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,732 times
Yes, the world is out to get these two idiots.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

The cab driver's take on the incident:

Cab driver Sukhcharn Singh, who goes by the name Sunny, told the BBC he picked up the four passengers on 67th Street between Lexington Avenue and 3rd Avenue.

"A security guard hailed me, next thing you know Prince Harry and his wife were hopping into my cab," he said.

"As we went a block, we got blocked by a garbage truck and all of a sudden paparazzi came and started taking pictures. They were just about to give me the location of where they were going to go but then they told me to circle back to the precinct."

He said they were "nice people" who "looked nervous".

He said he thought claims of a "near catastrophic chase" might have been exaggerated, adding that he did not think the paparazzi were being "aggressive".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65625886

Old 05-17-2023, 02:17 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Perhaps the claims were exaggerated, but let's not forget that this is someone who lost his mother who was being chased by paparazzi. What may not have felt aggressive to the taxi driver might have felt aggressive to someone who has dealt with that trauma.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:21 PM

1,933 posts, read 819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Yes, the world is out to get these two idiots.
Some folks will do just about anything to remain relevant.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,822 times
I'm sure they've already called Oprah and plan to have a two hour, pay per view documentary on the "near catastrophic chase".

Old 05-17-2023, 02:25 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Some folks will do just about anything to remain relevant.
And look at all of you talking about them rather than ignoring the story.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps the claims were exaggerated, but let's not forget that this is someone who lost his mother who was being chased by paparazzi. What may not have felt aggressive to the taxi driver might have felt aggressive to someone who has dealt with that trauma.
I do appreciate your kindness (sincerely), but really. Why do these people have to make a public statement, through their paid "spokesperson" about this?

There's nothing that galls me more than people who constantly brag that they're victims. Odd as that is, to brag that you're a victim.

Did they really have to come out publicly with this? If they HAD to, seems to me a better statement would be:

"We enjoyed ourselves in the Big Apple, and a heartfelt thank you to the NYPD for getting us through a little bit of chaos due to very persistent media. We are terribly honored for Meghan to be awarded (whatever it was she was awarded) and appreciate the city's hospitality".

See how much better that comes off?

Old 05-17-2023, 03:08 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do appreciate your kindness (sincerely), but really. Why do these people have to make a public statement, through their paid "spokesperson" about this?

There's nothing that galls me more than people who constantly brag that they're victims. Odd as that is, to brag that you're a victim.

Did they really have to come out publicly with this? If they HAD to, seems to me a better statement would be:

"We enjoyed ourselves in the Big Apple, and a heartfelt thank you to the NYPD for getting us through a little bit of chaos due to very persistent media. We are terribly honored for Meghan to be awarded (whatever it was she was awarded) and appreciate the city's hospitality".

See how much better that comes off?

They make a statement because the paps continue to be a dangerous cancer.

I don't know how to link it here, but I just saw a TikTok posted by Max Foster, who is a correspondent for CNN. He said he spoke with one of the security detail members, who used to be Secret Service, and he stated it was the worst thing he had ever been through. It wasn't a high speed chase because they were trying to be respectful of traffic laws and not put anyone in danger, but it went on for more than 2 hours. He said there was about a dozen vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc) trying to get pictures, blocking H&M's vehicle at one point. The paps were running red lights, running up on sidewalks, putting pedestrians at risk.

They made a statement because that kind of s*** (as well as hacking and other invasions of privacy) has to stop.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:12 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I find it very strange that they used a cab as transportation. That's a security issue right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events