Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 04:50 PM

31,656 posts, read 26,523,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is just a horrible story.

The search has been called off for Cameron Robbins, 18, of Louisiana. Cameron was on a graduation trip to the Bahamas with a group of teens from different Louisiana high schools. On a dare, he jumped off the pleasure boat he was on. Video appears to show two different sharks attacking him and dragging him under mere moments after he entered the water.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...preserver.html

His poor parents. And poor kid.
What a horrible way to die, poor kid. *RIP*

That being said just don't understand young people today. True that demographic has long done impulsive things but seems like they've gone into overdrive lately. Has all common sense simply vanished?

As my parents would say: 'if "X" jumped off a bridge would you do so too"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM

31,656 posts, read 26,523,725 times
GD shame. No parent should have to bury their own child.

https://obits.theadvocate.com/us/obi...ry?id=52110490

Old 06-02-2023, 05:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,195,659 times
There unfortunately always has been (and probably always will be) a certain attrition rate among teenagers.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:38 PM

88,092 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Some years back a 16 y.o. around here on a high school bus trip kept trying to open the hatch on the roof of the double-decker bus. Twice teachers made him stop. Then when the teacher stepped down to the first level, the kid stuck his head out just as they were going under a low underpass. He fell back down to the floor of the bus, head smashed, and died shortly after.

My dentist and I were talking about it. He had a teenage son, and he said, "You see what that kid did? He was stupid. And YOU would do something stupid like that. Don't be stupid. Think before you do something."

Old 06-02-2023, 11:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,505,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Ever heard of SCUBA divers and snorkelers? Spear fishers? People dive into the seas ALL THE TIME.
Yes, and they get attacked by sharks sometimes. It depends on the kind of sharks in the particular water you're diving in. That area of the boy's cruise ship was in an area that had a lot of sharks, according to the officials looking for him. It was a reef area...where sharks go looking for food (and also keep their "nurseries). And think about the difference between a human in a wetsuit at the bottom, moving slowly if at all, vs a human body splashing about at the surface.

The young people should've known or been told of the dangers in the water their boat was in. Particularly at night, when many sharks are more actively feeding. That video looked like it was night time.

That poor young man must've been petrified, when he saw that shark.

Last edited by bpollen; 06-02-2023 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-03-2023, 04:42 AM

23,800 posts, read 33,287,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A shark expert on TV this morning said it was highly unlikely that the kid was attacked by sharks. It is more likely that he got caught in a current or just plain drowned.

Sharks don’t swallow things, they rip them apart

Exactly what I think sharks did to him, ripped him apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Oceanographic experts who do not deal in drama have said it was highly unlikely he was killed by sharks. I know that kind of ruins the story for people, but thats how it is.

I disagree. I think there were sharks there, the one on the surface in the video took a bite of him with another shark also biting him. It would not take long for a few sharks to quickly kill him by eating limbs or biting his trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The video footage clearly shows at least one large (enough) shark.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/wa...ack-in-bahamas

5 second mark it's between the guy and the boat.

7 second mark it's on the surface to his left coming back towards him.

He's athletic and swimming well.

Now it's possible he drowned etc. but at night on a reef with sharks clearly circling and interested, I'm not sure I agree with the Oceanographic experts. They may not have had the footage?

I see what you see too, what looks like a shark between he and the boat. I'll be surprised if there weren't more sharks. I think the end of the video when the cell phone went dark, was showing the deck and darkness, the person holding the phone got freaked out when the shark appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know that they would have seen the actual attack in the darkness, but certainly saw and heard the struggle. It doesn't surprise me not to have more video, recording into the darkness on a phone nothing would show up.

I agree, had he been bitten by a shark, he probably screamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
GD shame. No parent should have to bury their own child.

https://obits.theadvocate.com/us/obi...ry?id=52110490

Thanks for sharing his obituary. I liked that it said he was adopted, my brothers obituary also included that he was adopted into the family that raised him where he was the apple of his adoptive parents eyes.

His biological family may see this news but not know that he is their relative.

My friend adopted out her daughter who went missing. She was featured in the soul asylum runaway train video that her mother saw, not knowing that was her biological daughter she was looking at.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:01 AM

88,092 posts, read 83,961,306 times
For the person who didn't know sharks are everywhere:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/out...n/70276745007/

Old 06-03-2023, 11:22 AM

4,933 posts, read 10,610,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For the person who didn't know sharks are everywhere:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/out...n/70276745007/
I would even go so far as to say that predators are everywhere. And guess what? They’re more active at night.

Did this young man practice common sense? No. And he paid the price. But it isn’t just teenagers and young adults who do not practice common sense.

Did this young man deserve what happened to him? No. No one deserves to die at the hands of a predator. That said, I wonder why these types of party cruises even exist. The locals knew that the area in which the boat was venturing contained a lot of sharks and was, therefore, dangerous. Yet the company in charge of the cruise decided that it was a good idea to take a bunch of partying teenagers there at night

Seems like the lack of common sense in this scenario was compounded. And, unfortunately, it will be the sharks that pay the price because that boat company needs to make their money.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:52 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,015,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
That said, I wonder why these types of party cruises even exist. The locals knew that the area in which the boat was venturing contained a lot of sharks and was, therefore, dangerous. Yet the company in charge of the cruise decided that it was a good idea to take a bunch of partying teenagers there at night

Seems like the lack of common sense in this scenario was compounded. And, unfortunately, it will be the sharks that pay the price because that boat company needs to make their money.
The real danger is unsupervised 18 year olds drinking too much, not the boat. There is no way the boat operators could have known that one of students would jump off. The boat operators then followed every legal requirement for man overboard protocol. And it was a sunset cruise; they were probably heading back at the point Cameron jumped.

How are the sharks “paying the price”?

Old 06-03-2023, 02:00 PM

2,855 posts, read 1,128,804 times
Witnessing this young man's death had to be horrifying for everyone. Such a tragic event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events