Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 12:49 PM

5,335 posts, read 3,210,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why on earth did they not at least have cones up?? For that wrecker to be sitting in that lane - that is just waiting for an accident. Yes the driver should have been able to avoid it had she been paying proper attention, but damn. Whoever was responsible for that tow truck being in that lane, should have their head rattled!
Agree...I'm sorry but why is the flatbed down in the middle of the road? I don't even see lights flashing, most flatbeds I've seen have the lights on top of the bar across the flatbed. The accident scene is on the other side of the road, this whole situation makes no sense.

I guarantee with the flatbed in the raised position it's covering the red cab and the grey bed blends in with the road.

I'm against texting while driving but the state and the towing company bear some responsibility here. This whole scene makes no sense to me that nobody thought this was a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 01:16 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t see any reports that the driver was “ obviously” texting or on her phone either does the op have some kind of weird omniscient powers

AND

....this

...didnt happen in FL.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:17 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
While I agree better traffic control was needed I'm not ready to blame the driver of the tow truck. He parked there because that's where the disabled car was I would assume. He should have had his lights on but this was daytime and they probably would not have been very visible.

There were enough people standing around and emergency vehicles at the scene to make it obvious that something was going on, anyone who was paying attention would have seen that, slowed down and paid attention. So yeah although I too have not heard any reports of the driver texting that's where I'd put my money.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:08 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
In all states, at all times, the driver is responsible to avoid anything in FRONT of them. Especially the stuff in front of them *not moving*
In all states first responders are responsible for setting up traffic control at an incident scene and preventing secondary crashes.

Five points for traffic control at a crash scene.

1. Advance Warning
2. Transition Area
3. Buffer Space
4. Work Area
5. Termination Area

When they allowed the roll back truck to park where it did, they ignored points 1, 2, 3, and 5.

]

Old 06-01-2023, 02:16 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Well, to be fair, had that wrecker not been parked right there, she would have probably careened through the median and hit another car head-on in the opposite direction.
Had the police placed cones and stationed a police car behind it at some distance and directed traffic to the next lane , which is what they do on freeways here in aZ , she wouldn't have had an accident.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:19 PM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Had the police placed cones and stationed a police car behind it at some distance and directed traffic to the next lane , which is what they do on freeways here in aZ , she wouldn't have had an accident.
Yes and no... She wasn't paying attention, and clearly distracted for whatever reason.

Old 06-01-2023, 02:21 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In all states first responders are responsible for setting up traffic control at an incident scene and preventing secondary crashes.

1. Advance Warning
2. Transition Area
3. Buffer Space
4. Work Area
5. Termination Area

When they allowed the roll back truck to park where it did, they ignored points 1, 2, 3, and 5.

]

Old 06-01-2023, 02:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
They could have had a dozen guys waiving big red flags with orange cones set out and she still would have hit the truck. Obviously she wasn't paying any attention to driving.

Old 06-01-2023, 04:45 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

1. Advance Warning
2. Transition Area
3. Buffer Space
4. Work Area
5. Termination Area

]
They should change this guy as well. Obviously he failed to do his job properly and caused an accident. Great post.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:04 PM

1,688 posts, read 611,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I'm speculating but that is what I see every day young 20-year-olds mostly woman sitting at a green light with their face in their phone. Driving down the road weaving around pull alongside same thing face in the phone.

Not worth it drive it on the blowout until you can't be hit by someone. If the vehicle is disabled walk off the road leave it stay back 20-30 feet. You have drunk drivers, and people playing with their phones. There been several killed here in Arizona I remember one fender bender on a freeway man was standing behind his car waving his arms. Driver going 70 mph plowed into him while he was texting wasn't much left of the mans body. The only damage was dent in a bumper because people think you have to just stop where you are when they get into an accident, they stop in the middle of the freeway get out of their cars.
Agree. Playing with one’s phone while driving is an epidemic in this country. So many accidents happen because of it. Was in the UK a few weeks ago for two weeks and saw just ONE person the entire time on their phone while driving. They have nearly once half the traffic deaths per 1 million people as the US does. Less distracted drivers is a big reason why. They also have much tighter control on aggressive driving. Even though I was driving on the other side of the road than I am used to, the driving there was almost relaxing compared to the states. We have terrible, aggressive, inconsiderate, and distracted drivers. Our roads suck because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events