Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2023, 10:21 PM
 
17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Reputation: 32997

Advertisements

https://www.space.com/watch-moon-sha...-eclipse-video
Quote:
To see the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024, you need to be in the right place, at the right time and this video can certainly help with that!

It's a little early to be actual current events, but it is definitely time to prepare to see this wondrous event


Having seen, and photographed, the last Great American Eclipse from Weiser, Idaho, it was amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2023, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Reputation: 19447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Watch the moon's shadow travel across North America during 2024's total solar eclipse (video)

https://www.space.com/watch-moon-sha...-eclipse-video



It's a little early to be actual current events, but it is definitely time to prepare to see this wondrous event


Having seen, and photographed, the last Great American Eclipse from Weiser, Idaho, it was amazing!
Mike Oldfield foretold of this happening.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80qhyovOnA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2023, 10:12 AM
 
17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Reputation: 32997
Foretold a predictable and chronicled natural occurrence??


Not the best song I;ve ever heard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2023, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
5,019 posts, read 7,221,289 times
Reputation: 7308
Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2023, 09:19 PM
 
4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Reputation: 10152
The pathway goes near me and while I hope to see it ( I saw partial in 2017 during summer in downtown Cleveland) I keep reminding people that April in North East Ohio is usually overcast. So the many planning to "travel" to some of the major cities in the path may be better off in some other locations. If I recall Dallas, Austin, St Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland are large metros in the path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2023, 03:42 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The pathway goes near me and while I hope to see it ( I saw partial in 2017 during summer in downtown Cleveland) I keep reminding people that April in North East Ohio is usually overcast. So the many planning to "travel" to some of the major cities in the path may be better off in some other locations. If I recall Dallas, Austin, St Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland are large metros in the path.
Never, never, never waste your time watching a partial eclipse. That is like watching the Super Bowl from outside the stadium in the parking lot. If you want to see it, make sure you are right on the centerline. People think if they are close enough they will get to see 95%, 96%, 97% of it, but that is not the way it works. Either you see the full eclipse, or you don't see it. Because you can't look directly at a partial eclipse, and even if you could, it wouldn't be that impressive.

I watched the 2017 eclipse and it was a very memorable event. I'd like to watch this one too, but it's a bit too far from me. I don't have the money to travel that far, and I don't really want to deal with the traffic and crowds again. To see the last one I had to sleep in my car overnight because there were no hotel rooms available, and then I got caught in a 10 hour long traffic jam when leaving. That was the longest traffic jam I have ever been in my life. I don't think I want to do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2023, 09:51 AM
 
Location: SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
8,918 posts, read 4,639,401 times
Reputation: 9237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The pathway goes near me and while I hope to see it ( I saw partial in 2017 during summer in downtown Cleveland) I keep reminding people that April in North East Ohio is usually overcast. So the many planning to "travel" to some of the major cities in the path may be better off in some other locations. If I recall Dallas, Austin, St Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland are large metros in the path.
Not just NE Ohio, but most of the path of totality is across areas that get a lot of cloud cover in April.

All is not lost (most, but not all) if there are clouds. It will still be like someone switched off the lights. Might even trigger rain, if the clouds were almost there, already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2023, 11:16 AM
 
17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Reputation: 22900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Never, never, never waste your time watching a partial eclipse. That is like watching the Super Bowl from outside the stadium in the parking lot. If you want to see it, make sure you are right on the centerline. People think if they are close enough they will get to see 95%, 96%, 97% of it, but that is not the way it works. Either you see the full eclipse, or you don't see it. Because you can't look directly at a partial eclipse, and even if you could, it wouldn't be that impressive.

I watched the 2017 eclipse and it was a very memorable event. I'd like to watch this one too, but it's a bit too far from me. I don't have the money to travel that far, and I don't really want to deal with the traffic and crowds again. To see the last one I had to sleep in my car overnight because there were no hotel rooms available, and then I got caught in a 10 hour long traffic jam when leaving. That was the longest traffic jam I have ever been in my life. I don't think I want to do that again.

Sure you can look at a partial. Just so long as you have eclipse glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eclipse+g...s_ts-doa-p_1_4

get them now. They'll be.. Pretty sold out by the time the eclipse comes around. Make sure they're legit.



I actually took a photo of the last eclipse through those glasses on my phone.

I really should go to be in the path of totality for this one.. I'm probably one of a very small number of people who have been in the path of the past 2 total solar eclipses to hit the US.

In 2017 I was here in upstate SC and before that.. Way back in 1991, I was in Oahu. Back then, every gas station was handing out the eclipse glasses out there.

I figure hotel rooms are already god awful expensive for everywhere that's in the path of totality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2023, 03:21 PM
 
4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Reputation: 15763
That might be interesting to go see. My family is in the direct path so I have a free place to stay. Glasses might be a good gift for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2023, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Reputation: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sure you can look at a partial. Just so long as you have eclipse glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eclipse+g...s_ts-doa-p_1_4

get them now. They'll be.. Pretty sold out by the time the eclipse comes around. Make sure they're legit.



I actually took a photo of the last eclipse through those glasses on my phone.

I really should go to be in the path of totality for this one.. I'm probably one of a very small number of people who have been in the path of the past 2 total solar eclipses to hit the US.

In 2017 I was here in upstate SC and before that.. Way back in 1991, I was in Oahu. Back then, every gas station was handing out the eclipse glasses out there.

I figure hotel rooms are already god awful expensive for everywhere that's in the path of totality.
Yeah and you can set up those things to watch the shadow on the ground. But that is not the same as seeing it with you own eyes. I have seen probably a half dozen partial eclipses in my life time, and one total eclipse. I can tell you the difference is night and day, literally.

First a word of warning. Some people might find a total eclipse to be underwhelming. It doesn't get nearly as dark as you might think it does, and it's over before you know it. But still it's a very unique experience that I think everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. You really have to experience it for yourself.

On the other hand, partial eclipses are nothing like it. I feel sorry for anyone who watches a partial eclipse and thinks they have seen anything even close to a total eclipse. But if you are into partial eclipses, then that's all the better. Get yourself to the center line, and you can amuse yourself watching all that shadow stuff before and after the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top