Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 03:58 AM

8,435 posts, read 4,421,438 times

Advertisements

https://news.yahoo.com/california-ma...195414066.html

I don't know all the boat specifics but it appears to be used for off shore fishing, About a 30 foot center console with triple outboards about 300hp each. These types of boats will go about 60mph. It happened near midnight and of course, alcohol was involved. The boat is valued at around 200k and the house has quiet a bit of damage. Its lucky no one died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 09:01 PM

134 posts, read 195,822 times
About par for Lake of the Ozarks.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:01 AM

351 posts, read 189,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
In that is the case, people shouldn't build houses that close to the water.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:15 AM

2,263 posts, read 1,126,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
Yeah, no. Stop driving boats drunk.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:58 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,240,299 times
Quote:
Yup. My husband and I both worked at University Hospital in Columbia for 5 years and all summer long, the helicopters were flying trauma in from the Lake. It's known as a party lake (especially in certain areas) and full of boats whose power often exceed their operators' judgment.

Then there's the issue of alcohol...

Old 07-26-2023, 07:57 AM

4,039 posts, read 1,914,051 times
Sure looks like their 40' model - that's quad merc 300s on there - if you believe the data, it'll do 80mph or more. It may have been valued at 200k slightly before the crash - but closer to 500K when new.

Stupid - totally stupid. Drunk boating is stupid - but drunk boating in the dark is worse than stupid.

That's about a 12,000 pound boat right there - that is airborne a good 50 feet from the house. Not going "slow."

Sat photos look like it might have gone some TWO HUNDRED feet after leaving the water. Guess those folks should put a lighthouse on their peninsula!

Old 07-26-2023, 11:33 AM

134 posts, read 195,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yup. My husband and I both worked at University Hospital in Columbia for 5 years and all summer long, the helicopters were flying trauma in from the Lake. It's known as a party lake (especially in certain areas) and full of boats whose power often exceed their operators' judgment.

Then there's the issue of alcohol...
I worked for the University Hospital system (UH and CRH/WCH) for 12 years and did my share of EEGs on trauma victims from the Lake. Head trauma, mental status changes, etc. There were times I'd start the recording and knew no further treatment would really be necessary. The worst were the ones that were hurt that were not involved in any stupidity.

They need more lake patrol officers.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:07 AM

2,210 posts, read 1,127,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post

I've never understood it, honestly. We live on a small lake, way up on a hill. Recently with all the rain, the lake flooded, even though the corps of engineers opened the dam. Some people were on the neighborhood group going crazy. I mean, what do you expect? It's a body of water. Just because we're not on the coast and don't have tides doesn't mean there's not a possibility it could flood if there's enough rain.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:25 AM

51,378 posts, read 37,057,871 times
Quote:

That happens here, too. Not so much into houses, but there are boat accidents every year (as well as wave runner and jet ski accidents, a couple of deaths on those). The problem is, all you need is money to drive a boat. You don't have to actually know anything about boats, the rules of the water, etc. We had several kids killed down here several years ago when a dad took new high school grads out on the boat, everyone drinking, and they hit a smaller boat because they didn't know which side to move to.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:37 AM

1,185 posts, read 666,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That happens here, too. Not so much into houses, but there are boat accidents every year (as well as wave runner and jet ski accidents, a couple of deaths on those). The problem is, all you need is money to drive a boat. You don't have to actually know anything about boats, the rules of the water, etc. We had several kids killed down here several years ago when a dad took new high school grads out on the boat, everyone drinking, and they hit a smaller boat because they didn't know which side to move to.
Agreed. Mix rich folks + sense of entitlement + alcohol + a really fast vehicle of any kind and you will get a stupid accident.

Up here our stupid government instituted a mandatory boating license about 12 yrs ago... good idea right? Wrong. All you need to do is pass a multiple choice test ONLINE... viola you have a license for life.

I've seen plenty of morons on the lake... the more horsepower you have on their water toy, the higher the chance you see them do stupid / annoying things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events