Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2024, 03:59 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

American figure skater, Ilia Malinin of Virginia, made history at the World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal, Canada. He became the first skater to land 6 quads in a single event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqi...MorningAmerica

He is also the first skater to land a quadruple axel in ISU competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDjl...nnel=Eurosport

So this lad has 2 historical programs under his belt and he is only 19. I pray he can land an Olympic gold medal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 05:00 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
This young man is amazing! I watched this recently and was impressed. They make figure skating look so easy.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:36 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Love this! What an incredible accomplishment for this young man!! Thank you for sharing!

Old 04-06-2024, 08:24 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So this lad has 2 historical programs under his belt and he is only 19. I pray he can land an Olympic gold medal.
I think everyone knows it isn’t a question of if, but when will he go to compete in the Olympics and gets gold. Of course, that’s assuming nothing unfortunate* was to happen to him before winning the Olympics.

* It can be anything like having his balance messed with by some medical emergency. Really bad luck is rare, but they do happen.

Old 04-06-2024, 08:55 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
I don't know what it is about figure skating that affects me emotionally, but just watching him makes me teary-eyed (in a good way). I read some of the comments on Youtube and I'm not the only one.

Makes me wonder how this makes older competitors feel, where at a point in time they broke world records, and now someone younger is beating their record. If this guy can do a 'quad', will there someday be someone who can do a 'quint'?

Old 04-06-2024, 11:31 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
This young man is amazing! I watched this recently and was impressed. They make figure skating look so easy.
I know! I'm watching him thinking that even if I did four spins without skates in my own living room, I'd be too dizzy to stand up straight immediately after, let alone keep moving. He just lands and goes right back into it.

Nice to see some pleasant news.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:17 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
He did them with such ease and grace.
Just realised that both llia Malinin and Mikhail Baryshnikov are of the same height, at 1.68M. Some are blessed with such talents and artistry, wonderfully executed.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:25 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think everyone knows it isn’t a question of if, but when will he go to compete in the Olympics and gets gold. Of course, that’s assuming nothing unfortunate* was to happen to him before winning the Olympics.

* It can be anything like having his balance messed with by some medical emergency. Really bad luck is rare, but they do happen.
He probably should stay away from Tonya Harding and her associates.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:01 PM

408 posts, read 156,667 times
Congratulations to him!

Here's mom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xmfjlc6l_c

and dad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCet-f2rKY

Old 04-07-2024, 02:16 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Figure skating is one of those sports that at the Olympic level, you have to be at the top of your game and in this world, age does work against you, and he has to wait 2 more years before the Winter Olympics takes place. That's a long time in the elite world of figure skating and gymnastics.

Now the good news is him being a male, he won't grow much more than he already is so he doesn't have to worry about that. And he is wonderful to watch on ice and I hope to see a long career with him. He also has a nice personality too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events