Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

Oh, I forgot to add about the recumbents: out of my price range and I'd be concerned with that low profile riding in traffic with all those giant SUVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
For value and quality in low-priced bikes, look at the GIANT brand!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Thanks for the good advice and tips so far! The Electra Townie is definitely on my list to check out when we go to Tacoma next week and can stop by the R.E.I. store there. (I understand you can only purchase them through R.E.I., whatever...)

How about the Kona Africabike 3? Anyone heard of this? Check out this excerpt from a British review site:

"So what's it like? well, as you might expect for a bike designed to handle the unmade roads of sub-Saharan Africa, it's sturdy. The frame is a step-through design in plain gauge Cromoly, the fork Kona's excellent and dependable P2. Bolted (literally) to that are hardy 26" wheels sporting excellent Conti 1.75" rubber and a Nexus three speed transmission – the bike is also available as a singlespeed."

(Some nice pictures on that site, too.)

Best price I found for the Kona around here is $399.
The kona bike is a good simple bike that , with it's steel frame, will serve very well for both causal riding as well as cow trail riding. If you find the gears to be a bit to high have a bike shop change out the front chainring for a smaller one which will lower all 3 speeds.

FWIW, I've cycled all my life (55+ of 64 yrs) so I have a strong preference for both a steel frame ( I won't own/ride an aluminum frame bike of any kind) and an internal hub with the good ol' 3 speed being on many of my bikes.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
So for a recreational rider, a $250.00 schwinn from target with a good tuneup is that much worse than a $600.00 schwinn from a bike store? I have had box store bikes that held up to me as a teenager, it was my high end BMX bike that didnt....
That was then and I'm talking about now.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Thanks for the good advice and tips so far! The Electra Townie is definitely on my list to check out when we go to Tacoma next week and can stop by the R.E.I. store there. (I understand you can only purchase them through R.E.I., whatever...)
After reading this I went to the Electra website and looked for dealers in Tacoma. There are two (not R.E.I.) in Tacoma and several other bike shops, but I'm not sure if they're close to you.

e l e c t r a (http://www.electrabike.com/home.php - broken link)

1. Old Town Bicycle, 3009 McCarver St., Tacoma, 253-573-9400

2. Bike Tech, 5408 S. Tacoma Way, Tacoma, 253-472-2453

Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
That was then and I'm talking about now.
that was less than 10 years ago, bikes have changed that much?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, they have believe it or not.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
There have been tremendous changes in bike technology in the last ten years. Too numerous to enumerate. But one of the most significant is the PRICE of various components - and assembled bikes in general. I pay as much for a new bike seat now as I did for an entire bicycle in my younger years.

Titanium and carbon fiber components account for many advances, along with disc brakes, shock absorbers and articulated suspensions, wheel & spoke designs, etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
My bmx bikes were pretty simple, but tough. Although I did trash my racing bike on a downhill accident (you can read about that in the "most memorable ride" thread). My GT flatland bike with gyros and pegs and high-spoke wheels, forged aluminum crankset, etc was still in tip top shape when i sold it, and that thing had been through hell... my new cheapo mountain bike from wally world can't even handle me riding a wheelie without the rear wheel moving in the frame and the tire rubbing...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
So for a recreational rider, a $250.00 schwinn from target with a good tuneup is that much worse than a $600.00 schwinn from a bike store? I have had box store bikes that held up to me as a teenager, it was my high end BMX bike that didnt....

If it was a very high-end (read: light weight) BMX bike then it was probably intended for racing on a dirt track. It wouldn't be expected to hold up to daily teenage-abuse (bashing the rims into curbs, being left outside in the rain etc).

Also, decent bike-shop bicycles start at ~$300, not $600. It's misinformation such as yours that leads people to make costly mistakes (i.e. buying THREE throw-away department store bicycles instead of ONE good quality bike in the first place).

Anyone who drops $250 at Target or Walmart for a bicycle is a fool well-parted with his money. The most one should ever spend there is $89, and only then if the plan is to ride the bike once or twice and then let it rust in the rain.

Another reason to check out the bike shops: used bikes. A used bicycle that is selling for $100-300 will usually have started life in the $300-600 range and will give the rider more bang for the buck.

It sounds like the OP is on the right track. The Electra brand is good, but you may also want to check out Novarra (REI's house brand) and the other big players: Trek, Specialized, Giant.

Good luck and happy riding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling