Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times

Advertisements

Mandatory helmet law for bicycles?
After they make it mandatory for motorcycles.

Next, who is going to enforce this?
The fun police?
Really, the police have more important things to be doing like catching criminals.
yet, another unneeded nanny law.

Yes, I make the grand kids wear there helmit when we go for a trail ride
but then again there are trails that if you high~side a helmet isn't going to do any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panterra View Post
whoah! I'll be sure not to ride my bike in any of those testing machines.
lmao

nice

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
The more I think about this, mandating helmets would be a disaster for cycling in the US. The best way to improve safety is not helmets or more traffic laws that everyone ignores and the cops don't enforce, but getting more cyclists on the streets so drivers (and cops) get used to dealing with cyclists.

The best way to discourage people form riding is to enact a helmet law. Say goodbye to bike share programs, spontaneous quick trips, commuters who don't have time to fix their helmet hair before a meeting, etc. Or just the people that hate wearing them for whatever reason.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
I had to specify other, so the reason why I've never worn a bicycle helmet since I began riding in the traditional sense, is because bike helmets are about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

I care not to hear all the anecdotal evidence how you think that just because you fell off your bike and your helmet disintegrated how that could have been your head and that's why they work.

Bicycle fatalities are very rare. The lion's share of bicycle fatalities are the result of a collision with a car, so helmets are pointless. Moreover, I frequently see speeds into the mid 40s on a daily basis. If I collide with anything at that speed, no helmet is going to save me.

I have never had a problem with seeing other cyclist wearing helmets. What really chaps my arse is that twenty years after seeing my first cyclist with a helmet, now many people wear them, and they all feel the need to criticize me for not having one. I do not believe what the government, wealthy elite, and other powers that be spoon feed me. I do not need a helmet!

I'm also one of those types that rides in cut off camouflage shorts, I go shirtless, and I don't wear clippies either. I don't have to look like whatever modern society says is a cyclist to be a cyclist. In fact, I was a cyclist before American society decided it was a sport and vogue.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 08-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Grammatically challenged.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I had to specify other, so the reason why I've never worn a bicycle helmet since I began riding in the traditional sense, is because bike helmets are about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

I care not to hear all the anecdotal evidence how you think that just because you fell off your bike and your helmet disintegrated how that could have been your head and that's why they work.

Bicycle fatalities are very rare. The lion's share of bicycle fatalities are the result of a collision with a car, so helmets are pointless. Moreover, I frequently see speeds into the mid 40s on a daily basis. If I collide with anything at that speed, no helmet is going to save me.

I have never had a problem with seeing other cyclist wearing helmets. What really chaps my arse is that twenty years after seeing my first cyclist with a helmet, now many people wear them, and they all feel the need to criticize me for not having one. I do not believe what the government, wealthy elite, and other powers that be spoon feed me. I do not need a helmet!

I'm also one of those types that rides in cut off camouflage shorts, I go shirtless, and I don't wear clippies either. I don't have to look like whatever modern society says is a cyclist to be a cyclist. In fact, I was a cyclist before American society decided it was a sport and vogue.
You are a biking Zeus!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You are a biking Zeus!
Dude, you are killin me lmao

Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dude, you are killin me lmao
Well, what can you do? We all can't be that awesome.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Well, what can you do? We all can't be that awesome.
I'm trying to somehow incorporate that into hunting Deer on a Mt Bike. Throwing bolts of lighting? Nawwwww probably not a good idea in a fire zone. But, I could pull the chicks

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post

Are you the same one who argues about mandatory seat belt use in cars and that air-bags are evil?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Quote:
You are a biking Zeus!

Is this sarcasm? Yes, I do frequently hit speeds in the middle 40 mph range, DOWNHILL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling