Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I've said this before ... and I will say it again.

In Dutch countries such as The Netherlands ... the driver of a car is assumed to be at fault when colliding with a bike.

It's the way their law is written.

Cycling in the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in Dutch countries, drivers are a lot more cautious around bicyclists, because drivers don't want to be held liable for causing an accident.

Bicyclists in Dutch countries are not as concerned about getting into accidents with cars, since they know drivers are constantly looking out for them.

Unfortunately, our law doesn't work that way here in the U.S., so helmet use is more important here.
Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
In Dutch countries ? what the hell is that?
Perhaps, you mean 'Low countries'?
You need to get the name right before you start discussing its laws.

Denmark is not part of the 'Dutch countries' and unlike the Netherlands it DOES NOT have strict liability laws for car drivers. Also, unlike the Netherlands, its bicycle infrastructure is not as developed. Yet it has the highest ridership per capita in the world.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
In Dutch countries ? what the hell is that?
Perhaps, you mean 'Low countries'?
You need to get the name right before you start discussing its laws.

Netherlands (terminology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
More than one name is used to refer to the Netherlands, both in English and in other languages. Some of these names refer to different, but overlapping geographical, linguistic and political areas of the country. This is a common source of confusion for outsiders. In English the country is called 'the Netherlands' (or frequently - but inaccurately - 'Holland'), while the people and the language are called 'Dutch'. In Dutch the official (and predominant) terms for these are 'Nederland' for the country, 'Nederlanders' for the people and 'Nederlands' for the language, although they are occasionally (colloquially) called 'Holland', 'Hollanders' and (less frequently) 'Hollands' respectively.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
LoL. I knew that people from the Netherlands are called 'Dutch'. I just never heard somebody refer to it as the 'Dutch countries'. (And you did several times in one post) That was quite amusing actually.
I'm gonna have to rep you for almost making me spit out my coffee.

Now back to cycling.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 AM

102 posts, read 181,005 times
A few years ago on a wet day I looked back to check merging traffic and rolled over a slick manhole cover. I was down before I knew I was in trouble. Smacked my head against the roadway, cracked my helmet clean through in two places. Whether or not I may have been in danger of brain damage or death had I not been wearing the helmet I cannot honestly say. I DO know that it would have HURT. A LOT.

I'm sometimes jealous of those who go bare-headed or sport their jaunty caps, but I'm keeping my helmet ON.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Nobody wore them when bicycles were invented! This is just another pampering thing that some "blow in yogurt" parents came up with out of boredom! We grew up in the 70's and never wore a helmet or knee pads when cycling! its retarded!

Now motorcyclists should always wear them considering that their speeds are a lot higher, and their consequences are a lot more serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
[quote=Trimac20;24624806]I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.[/quote

My experience is (other) that in general people think that they are "good" at riding a bicycle, what is there to it, after all? And as far as the unexpected happening, the...it won't happen to me mentality or what are the chances of anything happening to me?

If the above mentality was not so bad when adults make a conscious decision not to wear a helmet, they send a message (unintentionally of course) to their children that wearing a helmit is not a priority.

Forgive me...but pure stupidity and blindness to the realities of life.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 AM

[quote=HomeIsWhere...;26894021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.[/quote

My experience is (other) that in general people think that they are "good" at riding a bicycle, what is there to it, after all? And as far as the unexpected happening, the...it won't happen to me mentality or what are the chances of anything happening to me?

If the above mentality was not so bad when adults make a conscious decision not to wear a helmet, they send a message (unintentionally of course) to their children that wearing a helmit is not a priority.

Forgive me...but pure stupidity and blindness to the realities of life.
And, conversely, I find judgmental people who rely on opinion for their facts and are close-minded and un-open to other peoples realities and experiences are the one whom might have a case of "pure stupidity and blindness to the realities of life"

Please post how many miles you put on a bike a day, for how long and name the cities these miles have accumulated, ok ?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM

102 posts, read 181,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
...its retarded!
It's not "retarded", it's a choice. Invective doesn't improve the conversation.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Nobody wore them when bicycles were invented! This is just another pampering thing that some "blow in yogurt" parents came up with out of boredom! We grew up in the 70's and never wore a helmet or knee pads when cycling! its retarded!

Now motorcyclists should always wear them considering that their speeds are a lot higher, and their consequences are a lot more serious!
Enough with "retarded", Ok ?

Its a choice. I dont wear one because my 4 mile ride is very slow and through ally's and and park trails.
IF I rode in Philly or NYC, I wouldnt consider NOT wearing one for a second.
The population has doubled since the 70's, our society is faster paced, people are angrier, and the insane developer assault of the early 80's determined most of our infrustructure to be very, very ped and bike unfriendly. Helmets are a smart choice for a lot of areas and circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling