U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,079,417 times

Advertisements

Since I had no clue where else to start this thread, I stuck it here.

I want to encourage people to be sure to wear helmets, pads, and gloves when biking. I regularly walk a paved biking/hiking trail behind my house, and earlier today as I was finishing up my walk, an older couple (in their 60's, maybe 70's) passed me on their bikes. Part of the trail has rocky gravel along the edges that was used as the base layer when they paved the trail. After crossing out of my sight, behind some trees, I heard the sound of a bike hitting the gravel and then crashing to the pavement. I walked toward that part of the trail to see what happened, and the gentleman was lying on the pavement. Apparently the bike slipped off onto the gravel and I guess he tried to maneuver it back onto the trail, but lost control and crashed right to the pavement. His wife had gone on ahead, not knowing what had happened. He yelled for her, and as I approached to see if he was okay, he started to get up and I could see his face was bleeding from where he hit his forehead. I then noticed both of his hands and wrists were mangled, with large folds of skin ripped away and he was bleeding pretty badly. I only had a water bottle with me, and offered it to him, as it was all I could do at the moment. I asked if he wanted me to drive him somewhere, because it looked like he needed to get to the hospital, but he refused. In the meantime, blood was dripping onto the pavement and when his wife came back to see what happened, I asked her if there was anything I could do for them. I ended up driving her to get her truck so the bikes could be put in the back, and she was going to take him home to tend to his wounds.

Anyway.....it was a really scary situation, and I really hope he ends up being okay. But it made me realize that it is SOOOOO vitally important to make sure people wear helmets, gloves and pads when biking. It may seem like you have things under control when you're out riding, but you never know when something might happen and it could cause a LOT more bodily harm than this situation I encountered today. Please keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,150,090 times
I'd just like to echo those sentiments really. I'm an avid cyclist and I always wear a helmet. My dad has been cycling for years too and had a crash on his bike a few months ago where he went over the handlebars and landed on his head. Thankfully he was wearing a lid because otherwise Lord knows what state he'd have been in. Also I'm primarily a road cyclist and you can't afford to take chances when you've got cars and trucks driving past only a few feet away from you.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:59 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,504,349 times
Thank you for reminding everybody to wear a helmet. I completely agree.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM

13,621 posts, read 22,313,745 times
I agree that we should be ptotecting ourselves while we are cycling. I just cycle for my own pleasure..I don't wear a helmet or padding, but I do wear appropriate shoes and clothing. Since I am ,ahem... oh well, I am a little ole lady of 65, so I make sure that my legs are covered and that I wear long sleeves to protect my skin, because it is fragile. I never go riding without my cell phone, because we are in a rural area just in case I so need help.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,079,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree that we should be ptotecting ourselves while we are cycling. I just cycle for my own pleasure..I don't wear a helmet or padding, but I do wear appropriate shoes and clothing. Since I am ,ahem... oh well, I am a little ole lady of 65, so I make sure that my legs are covered and that I wear long sleeves to protect my skin, because it is fragile. I never go riding without my cell phone, because we are in a rural area just in case I so need help.
Blue, I really want to encourage you to at least get a helmet. It was a bad thing I saw today, and I'd hate to see you hit a rock in the pavement the wrong way, and it send you off onto the ground. It's good that you carry your cell phone so you can call someone if something happens, but what if you can't?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,101,292 times
Another road cyclist here chiming to agree. lol, my very first event I entered this year, I was passing a 4-wheeler that had stopped on the paved path to talk w/ another bike rider, and just as I was going by him on the left, he started to go, I buggered a bit too far to the left, off the pavement, and as I had clip-on shoes, I just fell directly in front of the 4-wheeler. Luckily, he stopped. Just left me w/ a nasty bruise/scrape on right thigh, but could have been worse. Point of all this rambles is that like the guy above, it all happened very fast, and be good to have protection on that which is important!

Anyhow, good thread idea! Might be good to put a reminder in the spring time and/or in the parenting section...

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 22,313,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Blue, I really want to encourage you to at least get a helmet. It was a bad thing I saw today, and I'd hate to see you hit a rock in the pavement the wrong way, and it send you off onto the ground. It's good that you carry your cell phone so you can call someone if something happens, but what if you can't?
I hear you Rob, and there is a helmet ..somewhere...around here. If I can't find it, I will buy another, because it has really been too hot to ride much this summer, but the weather is perfect now..

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 PM

28,699 posts, read 41,680,530 times
Whoa. Not wanting to hijack this thread in any way, but I had to pass this along.

I originally read "bikini and helmets". Hhhhmmmmm

BTW, I agree with wearing helmets, pads etc. 100%

Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,211,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Whoa. Not wanting to hijack this thread in any way, but I had to pass this along.

I originally read "bikini and helmets". Hhhhmmmmm

Your take on the title would be more interesting....why not think of some topic to go with that headline and put it up !!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 PM

11,449 posts, read 17,663,616 times
I'm a motorcyclist and i can tell you a helmet is your best friend, a good helmet. I can't understand why people do not wear protection, if you really enjoy your sport you want to protect yourself so you can enjoy it tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling