Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I've moved to a small tourist town which has a popular bike trail running through it. It is more of a Sunday rider and tourist trail rather than speed racing or mountain biking trail (it is a converted railroad line.) No motor powered vehicle is allowed on the trail.

I've been thinking of having a popsicle or shave ice cart on the edge of my property, which abuts the trail.

But there is always the possibility of selling a non-food item.

For those of you who bike for exercise, pleasure or tourism, is there any non-food item that you might stop to buy along the trail? For example, a little wind sock for your bike? Or something more useful? Bandaids?

I'd be any interested in any ideas you might have, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Shave ice would be my choice. If you can get some first aid kits with alcohol wipes and bandages you might get some customers. If the trail is sunny, some inexpensive sunglasses might sell to the unprepared. And there's always tire patch kits.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Hi -

I've moved to a small tourist town which has a popular bike trail running through it. It is more of a Sunday rider and tourist trail rather than speed racing or mountain biking trail (it is a converted railroad line.) No motor powered vehicle is allowed on the trail.

I've been thinking of having a popsicle or shave ice cart on the edge of my property, which abuts the trail.

But there is always the possibility of selling a non-food item.

For those of you who bike for exercise, pleasure or tourism, is there any non-food item that you might stop to buy along the trail? For example, a little wind sock for your bike? Or something more useful? Bandaids?

I'd be any interested in any ideas you might have, and thanks in advance!
Wind sock??? No.

Water, sport drink, energy foods? Yes.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times
Depends on how long the trail is maybe inner tubes, tire repair kits, chains etc...

Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM

7,119 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Hmmm, maybe a variety of home-made healthy muffins and something cool and refreshing. I like the shaved ice idea. Add some picnic tables with shade.

You'll have to check out your local health dept. requirements for your items. For example, will you need a commercial kitchen if you bake muffins for public sale?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM

24,475 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Depending on the state you live in you might need to get all kinds of permits and inspections to be allowed to sell items, any items food, drink, postcards etc..
On the local trail I have seen kids selling bottled water and soda. There is guy who has been selling hotdogs from a mobile towable cart for years. He seems to make a living from it but I bet he has all the documents he needs to do it whereas the kids don't. Also along the trail are little paths with signs leading to established ice cream, food, bike shops etc..
Depending where you are you may have a tough time making any money.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Todd, I think you're probably right that I won't make much or any money. But my goal is more to have something to do and have fun and meet people - I'm officially "retired". I like the idea of a cart because if I get bored or tired I can just wheel it in the garage and go do something else. I don't want to LOSE money, though.

What do you think of sweet and sour: a popsicle and pickle cart?

Or a fortune telling tent?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Your best bet is to first lure them in with comfortable place to stop and relax. A few picnic tables and chairs, a sun umbrella or two, a park bench, and have some bike essentials nearby, like a pedestal pump for air or a large bucket of ice cold water. Give people a reason to stop and relax. Once they are comfortable then they have a reason to grab a bite to eat. What would be ideal is if you were on the premises regularly you could get whatever permits are necessary (I believe a vendor permit can be purchased for under $50.00) and you could grill brats or burgers while they relax.

When you are not there it would be smart to leave the tables outside so people can still stop and relax. You can build up a regular customer base this way.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM

175 posts, read 595,040 times
Great idea! I agree with odanny. You can also buy a decent bike stand ($100) and a basic set of tools ($50) for your customers to use for free. So much better than trying to fix things with a multi-tool. Small used bike rack $100 to put their bikes. Radio for atmosphere. Hammock ($100). If the trail system is elaborate, have printed copies of the trail map ($1) and one poster sized one laminated and next to the bike stand. If it's hot where you live, sell bandanas/microfiber towels they can dip in a bucket of ice water (with tongs) and put around their neck to take with them. Have a hose they can use to cool off. Gatoraid/Lemon Shake Ups/Shaved Ice/Push Pops/Ice Cream Sandwiches/Fruit Snacks/Candy for the kids. Have a misting system ($30) set up next to the picnic table.

If it's cool fall morning or day, sell hand warmers, have a space heater/fire pit ($100). Donuts, Cinnamon Rolls, hot coco/coffee, waffles with butter/cinnamon/sugar (they do this at ski resorts), scones, etc. Waffle maker ($30).

Maybe have some cool cycling socks or t-shirts with your logo for sale. Halo headbands, ID bracelets, bike stickers for the kids or adults (american flag with your name). Chap Stick. Icy Hot/Deep Blue. Wet wipes. Since it's a tourist ride, how about putting together a small booklet on your top 20 things to do in the area, favorite restraunts, hiking trails, hotels, etc. As a tourist, I'd appreciate that. Sell it for $2. Have a quick charging station for cell phones (you can buy a 10 in 1 universal charger kit for under $10 that will fit most phones).

Food - I really like the grill idea - I'd stop for a burger or brat if it was coming off a grill.

Small bowls of Apples/Oranges/Grapes/Strawberrys, trail mix, dried fruit etc. for the healthly folks. I know a lot of people like cold chocolate milk after a ride too.

And, a port-o-potty.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Wowza, GoOutside! You're way more ambitous than I am. Lots of fabulous ideas, though.

Thank you, eveyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling