Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 23,054 times

Advertisements

I jut got back from overseas, and I've saw LOTS of people riding with another seated the rear bike rack.

See these images to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Spoiler

Coming back home, I tried to look for such a thing, but was stuck. It dosen't seem to exist. The closest thing I've seen is a regular bike rack rated at 55lbs. Am I missing something? It seems like I can remember in the good ol' days everyone seemed to be hitching a ride on the back of someone's bike.

Question is: Is there a product in the US that is made for such a task, if not, do you think the 55lb rack will hold an adult? Mind you, this will be for city biking, only on occasion & nothing extreme.

Also, before you mention it, tandem bikes and cart attachments are out of the question. The whole idea is for the bike to still be an everyday bike, while on occasion letting a friend hop on and ride down to the coffee shop.

Last edited by zantaff; 02-18-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
For years I used my tandem as an everyday bike. It is quite useful for commuting as a single rider, allowing space for someone else or a bag or two strapped on the rear rack. Really very little difference from using a Mt. bike as a commuter and about the same weight.

My commute was 17 miles one way. I could do it consistently in an hour to an hour fifteen on the tandem and 50 minutes to an hour five on the single bike.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,968 times
One Hundred and Fifty pounds on a 55 lb rack would worry me (and my lawyer).

A good option is a trailer and can still use as everyday bike.
Connects/disconnects very fast and also the option of groceries/cargo.

See two kids and a dog in a trailer all the time. Does anyone make an adult trailer?

Just reread you post. Why not a cart/trailer?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Those Dutch city bikes usually come with particularly sturdy racks. You might also try a Surly Nice Rack. It's still only officially rated at 80 pounds, but I imagine it can carry a little more than that. Still wouldn't want to make a habit of it. Another option is the XtraCycle, which is sort of designed to carry a second person (or just lots of heavy cargo):

http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/com...scussionID=209

I think they're rated at 300+ pounds.

There's also this, if your bike has a solid, nutted rear axle and not a quick release:

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=283

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
I see it some in the neighborhood. Kids mostly. Not too many adults.

Nowadays, kids have those BMXers with the pegs. I see more kids standing on the pegs.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantaff View Post
I jut got back from overseas, and I've saw LOTS of people riding with another seated the rear bike rack.

See these images to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Spoiler

Coming back home, I tried to look for such a thing, but was stuck. It dosen't seem to exist. The closest thing I've seen is a regular bike rack rated at 55lbs. Am I missing something? It seems like I can remember in the good ol' days everyone seemed to be hitching a ride on the back of someone's bike.

Question is: Is there a product in the US that is made for such a task, if not, do you think the 55lb rack will hold an adult? Mind you, this will be for city biking, only on occasion & nothing extreme.

Also, before you mention it, tandem bikes and cart attachments are out of the question. The whole idea is for the bike to still be an everyday bike, while on occasion letting a friend hop on and ride down to the coffee shop.
Get a tandem.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,552 times
Look up The Companion. It's rack made just for this. They just came out last year.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Look up The Companion. It's rack made just for this. They just came out last year.

Link?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Link?
Order your Companion - Companion Bike Seats

But I would only recommend something like that if you and your passenger are of average weight or smaller, and you have a sturdy, good-quality bike.

I had a great time rigging my cheap Huffy bike (seatpost was too small for the hitch) so that I could attach a Trail-a-bike to pull my 40lb daughter. It took about a month of daily riding to completely kill the bike beyond repair(and I had to replace the brake cables and the pedals and tighten up the back rim halfway through that month). We had a ton of fun, and when I replaced my poor, dead Huffy with a bike-shop bike, my daughter couldn't wait for me to hook up the Trail-a-bike, but I haven't yet and it's been a year.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Order your Companion - Companion Bike Seats

But I would only recommend something like that if you and your passenger are of average weight or smaller, and you have a sturdy, good-quality bike.

I had a great time rigging my cheap Huffy bike (seatpost was too small for the hitch) so that I could attach a Trail-a-bike to pull my 40lb daughter. It took about a month of daily riding to completely kill the bike beyond repair(and I had to replace the brake cables and the pedals and tighten up the back rim halfway through that month). We had a ton of fun, and when I replaced my poor, dead Huffy with a bike-shop bike, my daughter couldn't wait for me to hook up the Trail-a-bike, but I haven't yet and it's been a year.
Just looking around the site, and after reading their reminder to ALWAYS wear a helmet, I am not able to find a single picture of any rider actually wearing a helmet, not even on their video produced to sell their rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling