Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 07:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

OP, if you can't afford even a bike shop's lower end cruiser, search Craig's list and find a good used Giant or Trek and have it overhauled at a bike shop. Honestly it REALLY, REALLY is not worth it to go cheap and get those cheaper bikes from Walmart. You want something that is comfortable and safe and enjoyable to ride. Getting a bike for $200 from a big box store that you won't like riding is money wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 09:22 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Buying something on CL which has become difficult to do at reasonable prices then taking it to a shop isn't that great either.

It's worth a try, but it's going to be tough.

Find a good deal on a new bike but it's going to be a minimum of $500.

Now you could get lucky in a thrift but you have to look a lot. And know what you are doing because many of them have become pricey.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:06 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Also check with actual bike shops for bulletin boards with used bikes for sale. People swap bikes out for all sorts of reasons. Even post a wanted ad there. You could first get some advice from bike shop staff to decide what features and fit work for you, do some test rides, and then do a more informed search. Some off-the-rack big box store junk bike probably won't be one you'll enjoy using and you could easily spend even more trying to tweak it to make yourself like it. It will end up adorning your garage. If you don't use it you certainly will waste your money!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-14-2020 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
You should consider going to a bicycle shop and be prepared to spend about $300. Giant is one good brand that you get decent components in.

Those big box stores sell steel heavyweight bicycles that are simply Chinese junk. They're so heavy that they're miserable to ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Store bikes are garbage, maybe usable for a single season.. IMO, don't even bother with a bike less than around $400.
A few years ago my wife and I bought 5 speed bicycles at Walmart, paying around $250 for the pair. Like you, we just got them to ride around the neighborhood. Wife got back problems and couldn't ride hers any more so we gave hers to a friend's little girl and she's still riding it today. I sold mine for $80 about a year ago and it was doing fine when I let it go. Talked to the buyer a couple months ago and said the bike is getting plenty of use and doing fine. If you're wanting to do a lot of riding, like my cousin riding 30-50 miles a day 2 or 3 days a week, I wouldn't get one of these. But just for riding around town or something, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. No need to spend more.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:30 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
OP here...I'm back and think I've found a source for various bikes...

Which is better (or pros and cons) coaster brakes or hand brakes?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:55 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Thanks.
Hand brakes. You will have a lot more control plus twice the stopping power.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:08 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Store bikes are garbage, maybe usable for a single season.. IMO, don't even bother with a bike less than around $400.
I found this not the case.

Years ago, I bought used Jamis 7-speed at my local bike shop and it's served me well over the years. No complaints or problems at all.

It cost me $150.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Thanks.
Definitely hand brakes...much more responsive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling