Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 03:19 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Dont be talked into buying more bike than you need. Just to get a bike. You can go crazy spending thousands on components that cheaper components will do just fine. Depending on how and where you ride. Not talking big box store bikes here. You better pre-order now to get what you want. If you're thinking on waiting and getting one, good luck. Most of what they will be getting in will be spoken for or will sell out quickly, I mean like in a few days. It will be a while before you can go to several bike shops and just pick out the bike you want, maybe choose a color, and ride out or have it in a few days. Ah, the good ol' days.
I’ve been saying the same thing, get a decent mountain bike, even if it’s a base model rather than something from a big box store or an REI cheapie! Going this route would give you a great starter where you could upgrade components if you wish to as well as having a good resale value if and when your ready to upgrade the entire bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I’ve been saying the same thing, get a decent mountain bike, even if it’s a base model rather than something from a big box store or an REI cheapie!
Absolutely! It's better to buy a used Giant/Trek/Pivot then a brand new Schwinn from Wallyworld. If you're going to ride the snot out of it like I would then you can always upgrade components as they break.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:37 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I’ve been saying the same thing, get a decent mountain bike, even if it’s a base model
Agree, or a base model commuter.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, OP already bought his bike, but I would ask "what is the use you're planning?" before getting into all kinds of suspension etc. The person who talks about really wanting a true mountain bike and then asks "would this Walmart Schwinn be OK" probably is not talking about using it for log hopping or trials.

If you're planning to ride on streets and gravel trails, you CAN buy a mt. bike with front or front/rear suspension, but frankly anything with decently low gears and tires 32+ mm wide will do just fine. And it'll be a lot more efficient and pleasant to ride on smoother surfaces than a bouncy-bouncy mountain bike with lots of suspension travel.

Now if you're going to go really off road on hiking trails with big rocks and roots and stumps and mud bogs, NOW that suspension bike is what you're going to want - with the proviso that the ride to and from on paved streets is going to be kind of a pain.

Most people I see with suspension bikes would do better to just put 32 mm tires on their existing ten speed and learn how to post over bumps.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:33 PM

139 posts, read 119,003 times
As someone who's been in bikes for 20 years and spent some time working at a bike shop, I urge you to avoid a bottom of the barrel bike (even from a brand like Trek) if you plan on doing any real mountain biking. You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to bikes. The shop I worked for wouldn't even stock Marlin 4's because the components are just that bad for anyone who thinks they're going to use it as a mountain bike.

My recommendation for anyone looking to get started is to save up and buy the right bike to start out on. Yeah, you'll be looking at around $900-$1300 new or $600-$900 used. But, your "cheap" bike won't be cheap anymore after needing excessive repairs and maintenance or you just plain won't be able to ride it because it's broken. That's a huge buzzkill that will potentially steer someone away from MTB. The Trek Roscoe 7 is my go to recommendation for newcomers. It's got a comfortable geometry and plenty of features in the form of pretty solid components (1x12 drive train, dropper post, tubeless ready rims, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling