Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I found the blog of an older couple who rode a tandem bicycle round trip from the Atlantic to Pacific Ocean and back. Believe they were from Virginia. Didn't get many miles each day but it was interesting reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:19 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
upright-stepthru.
power assisted, a must.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I'm 59. Not sure it that qualifies me as a senior, but I'm definitely over the hill.

I currently own a 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper mountain bike. It has a carbon frame, front and rear suspension, and 29" wheels. I ride it 3 times a week, weather permitting, on local single track MTB trails. In the winter, I sometimes ride it on local streets if the dirt trails are closed. I'm currently shopping for a new bike. Hopefully in the next month I will have a 2022 Yeti SB130, which is another carbon framed, full-suspension, 29" wheeled mountain bike.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I'm a few weeks shy of age 68, and ride 6K to 7K miles per year on a mix of pavement, forest or farm roads & paths and assorted bike paths. Plenty of city street riding too, as the bike is also my carry-all for grocery store trips, because I don't have a car here. The bike has a good rear rack that can haul a pair of pannier bags for shopping or touring, or one bag for day trips. The terrain in this area is not flat, so my bike has plenty of gear range for the hills.

This is no fancy pants lightweight carbon toy. It is a heavy duty Chromoly steel frame with beefy 26" wheels that I also built myself, that can take a lot of abuse. It has a dynamo driven headlight and taillight, because it is pretty dark here most days from November to February. No batteries to recharge.

The frame is a 2011 Surly Troll that I bought new without components. Then I built up the bike with my own selection of mostly Shimano Deore "LX" grade components - not high end stuff but they get the job done well. I don't want too much bling factor on the bike or it becomes a theft object. I always use a good lock when I park at the grocery store. The only thing different on the bike compared to this photo is the saddle, which has been replaced with a black Brooks C67 saddle.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I'm a few weeks shy of age 68, and ride 6K to 7K miles per year on a mix of pavement, forest or farm roads & paths and assorted bike paths.
And perhaps also a little forgetful

https://www.city-data.com/forum/60967790-post15.html

Old 12-26-2022, 02:20 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
If you have a rear rack, and you use your bike to haul stuff, then it makes sense to have a milk crate a la every KLR everywhere. There are even lockable lids that can be installed on those stolen dairy crates.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:00 AM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
I've worked in bike shops in the past (something to do on the weekends), and have always liked the ideals of bicycles and biking. I stopped riding "analog" bikes 'cause of ESRD, and restarted commuting and errand riding via DIY electric bike conversions.

Here's an example of a fast errand bike:

[Salsa Marrakesh frameset, 650B wheels, Bafang BBSHD electric motor, Shimano Alfine 8 hub, dual batteries]

While I don't live in an area where the roads (and sometimes the car drivers) are conducive, being able to ride faster helps, especially when on busy public roads and having to "negotiate" a left turn. My bikes mostly have IGH hubs which allow shifting almost anytime, even at a stop - modernized versions of the classic Sturmey Archer 3-speeds.

Sometimes I loan bikes to other seniors for group grinding on local trails, and this one has been a particularly favored loaner:

[Velo Orange Neutrino frameset, 650B wheels, Bafang BBS02 electric motor, Shimano Alfine 8 hub]

Adding an electric motor conversion to an analog bike you already own can be fairly straightforward (depending on the bike).

Old 01-09-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
[Velo Orange Neutrino frameset, 650B wheels, Bafang BBS02 electric motor, Shimano Alfine 8 hub]
... Should have typed 20" wheels

Old 01-09-2023, 11:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
... Should have typed 20" wheels
Looks like a nice city bike for a small person. I like the wide city tires and the Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal gear hub, but I prefer larger diameter wheels of 26" or 650B to roll over bumps and rough terrain a bit better.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Looks like a nice city bike for a small person. I like the wide city tires and the Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal gear hub, but I prefer larger diameter wheels of 26" or 650B to roll over bumps and rough terrain a bit better.
Thanks for the note. The frame size is deceptive - I'm 6 foot, and this frame is large (choices being small, large, and XXL). Although the large size frame top tube would accommodate a rider as short as 5.1 or so, I'd have to have another, shorter seat post, as the post length/range is restricted by the upper seat tube water bottle boss. The large frame seat to bar length is also a bit "lanky" for a small person, so either a very short or adjustable stem helps.

The bike fits across the back seat of my compact SUV without any component removal, except one of the quick-release pedals - done just to make sure I don't mar the seat cushion.

Yep on the wheel size - which is why I like that this bike accommodates the largeish tires.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 01-11-2023 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling