Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

I’m 52 years old and stand 5 feet 5 inches tall. Where I live is flat, no hills. When the stores get caught up on bicycles in stock I plan on getting a bicycle for occasional riding. I live in a small town in south Louisiana and am in a residential area. Will consider a rear rack should I purchase small items while out. Ride and seat comfort is a priority because of a broken tailbone.

Because my riding would be occasional I don’t want to spend more than $200 for a bike. Should I stick with a single gear cruiser or go up to a multi-gear bike? I’m leaning towards a cruiser because of the lack of hills. As a kid I did have a 10 speed but most times I kept it in one gear. A 5 to 7 gear could be a benefit for increasing riding speed on public roads. Do want front and rear fenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 12:14 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Raleigh LTD-3 three speed.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:55 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
I'd look at used. Bike shop and Craigs List. An old 3 speed might be easiest. 5, 7, 10 speeds involve gear shifters that need adjustment. Single speed might work too. Not hard, but you need to know what to do, or have a bike shop (LBS) nearby that will take the time to adjust things without charging you too much. Or have a neighbor/friend/spouse that will do the adjustments and maintenance?

Old 06-05-2021, 01:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Well given all that, depending on your health; a single speed cruiser might just be the ticket, especially if weight isn't an issue, as most, especially cheap ones are usually steel. Higher end cruisers are commonly aluminum, but are over $200. Sure a single speed is only going to be so fast, but sometimes depending on gearing, you can go pretty fast... for a cruiser.

Huffly Nel Lusso's have a built in rear rack. The Panama Jack can be found with 3 6 speed IGH's. Most cruisers have a 40t crank and you can move around at a decent pace, then you have bikes like the Next/Kent LaJolla and Eddie Bauer cruisers that have smaller cranks because of the chain guard design. At least the Eddie is a six speed. You might want a geared bike if you're carrying anything of significant weight. Most cruisers have fenders. You can always find a vintage mtb and add fenders, and swap the knobbies out, if anything.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:10 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I think a single gear cruiser would be what you need. You're not going on 30-40 mile rides cross country or anything. Just go to Walmart and check out what they have. Get one off the rack and sit on it to see how it feels. You could get the bike you want for under $200 (some models probably under $150), and it will last you a long time.
One thing you might want to look at. My "fat bottomed girl" wife has a husband with the same "condition". lol We bought one of those padded seat covers for a little more comfort than those little seats that are on the bikes.

Old 08-28-2021, 01:49 AM

24 posts, read 16,939 times
Tailbone injury and want to do cycling. Then look for the bycycle that will keep your back straight. don't go for those that pushes your pelvis too forward or backward.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:31 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
$200 for a bike is a tough price point. Anything new is likely to be of lower quality.
Checkout Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for used.
#1 thing to look for is bike fit. Bike frames are sized. Based solely on your height, you would likely fit on a size small frame. With your heal on the pedal and your butt on the seat, your leg should be straight.
Once you position the ball of your foot on the pedal for a proper pedaling motion, your leg will have a slight bend. If you can’t get these positions to work, the bike likely does not fit.

Contrary to popular belief wider saddles are also not more comfortable. You want to have a saddle that fits on your sit bones. Too wide and the greater contact area just makes your butt go numb.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:35 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m 52 years old and stand 5 feet 5 inches tall. Where I live is flat, no hills. When the stores get caught up on bicycles in stock I plan on getting a bicycle for occasional riding. I live in a small town in south Louisiana and am in a residential area. Will consider a rear rack should I purchase small items while out. Ride and seat comfort is a priority because of a broken tailbone.

Because my riding would be occasional I don’t want to spend more than $200 for a bike. Should I stick with a single gear cruiser or go up to a multi-gear bike? I’m leaning towards a cruiser because of the lack of hills. As a kid I did have a 10 speed but most times I kept it in one gear. A 5 to 7 gear could be a benefit for increasing riding speed on public roads. Do want front and rear fenders.
Have you considered "floatation" type tires?

Old 08-30-2021, 09:25 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Definitely check used bikes. For $200, you won’t get anything but junk in a new bike.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Definitely check used bikes. For $200, you won’t get anything but junk in a new bike.
I think $200 will get you a junk used bike too! Unless all you want is a heavy steel frame single speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling