Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 03:48 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,998,696 times

Advertisements

What is the maximum speed that you feel safe on your bicycle going downhill with the wind on your back? 40 MPH? Higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 02:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 7,671,363 times
As I get older and am more aware of my mortality and knowing how long the body takes to heal, I tend to go slower downhill. In my youth, I once got it up to 63 MPH. When I started thinking about that little rock in the street and what would happen, I backed off pretty quick.

These days, with a clear line-of-sight, I'll let the bike go however fast it wants to go. If I can't see the road at least a quarter mile ahead, I'll keep it to around 35. I tend to go slower with my rim brake bikes than with the disc brake bikes.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-09-2021, 04:36 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,788,907 times
Kind of depends on whether I 'know' the road as in are there any debris, potholes, big bumps, etc. If nice and smooth, I'll just go how ever fast the bike lets me. I usually don't waste the monmentum on a downhill by braking unless I really have to ... like someone in my path ahead. My bike has gotten up to around 30 mph and I feel it's pretty fast at that speed.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,155,710 times
A good quality road bike will feel more stable and secure the faster it's going. Only limit is your own nerves. If your bike feels dubious at high speed, I'd ditch it and get a better one with more standard geometry.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:21 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,033,729 times
Skiddish + Squirrelly are entirely different feelings, than what I get during downhill bicycling. Both imply a loss of traction or control, which can be absolute fatalities. I'm pretty OCD about my tires + brakes + general "vehicle maintenance" so I have rarely felt skiddish or squirrelly.

I am absolutely clear on what would happen, if a front tire were to blow out, the rim spokes fail, or the axle bolts come off at Terminal Velocity.

At my heaviest I was ~230lbs, on a steel framed mountain bike, on closed mountain road, with ~6000 ft decent, I got up to 42mph. I dont fear the speed (cue the Hunter S Thompson... "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.â€)

My current bike is much lighter aluminum and thumb-width 700c rims, (and I've lost alot of that weight) so it taps out at about 33mph on the downhills.

I have no desire to wear the pee-wee-herman aero helmet and shave my legs to go faster. Just get on a motorcycle.

I believe the landspeed record for a fiberglass fuselage pedaled bicycle, several variations netted about 80mph. But these things have 86 gears and take like an hour to get up to speed... but you break your own wind so I consider them more legit - cause that's like me riding down a mountain road.

A 45 yr old woman got TOWED BY A DRAGSTER to 100mph, then released and coasted in the slipstream behind the dragster to 183mph:
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/18/64922...w-world-record

but so what. I'm sure I could hold on to a waterski rope when the space shuttle launched and go 18,000mph for about 1 second before I let go. Does that make me Clark Kent Superman? The liquid rocket fuel did all the work.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:03 PM

4,336 posts, read 3,536,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Kind of depends on whether I 'know' the road as in are there any debris, potholes, big bumps, etc. If nice and smooth, I'll just go how ever fast the bike lets me. I usually don't waste the monmentum on a downhill by braking unless I really have to ... like someone in my path ahead. My bike has gotten up to around 30 mph and I feel it's pretty fast at that speed.
Definitely a matter of keeping your eyes upon more than anything.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:24 PM

12,581 posts, read 8,812,545 times
I think I went up to mid 40s once in my teens. But I got cured of the need for speed on a bike around the same age. Chain broke and wrapped itself in the front spokes. The bike stopped on a dime. I didn't. Road rash from a tar and gravel country road will cure a lot of the thrill. I was picking bits of gravel out of my skin for a week.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:55 PM

694 posts, read 485,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
What is the maximum speed that you feel safe on your bicycle going downhill with the wind on your back? 40 MPH? Higher?
Depends. I got going pretty fast down Kamikaze at Mammoth Mountain bike park. When you hit the braking bumps and the road is off camber on a turn, things get sketchy. Those rocks look uncomfortable off the side of the mountain and you do a bit of thinking.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,459,694 times
20MPH is plenty fast for me. I keep thinking about hitting a pot hole at speed. Not a comforting thought.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:56 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,218,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Depends on a lot of things, but generally at 40MPH I pay CAREFUL attention on smooth roads. I've hit over 50mph once (more than 10 years ago), very scary, but thrilling too.

On a mountain bike, getting up over 20 on rough terrain was scary when i was younger. Probably a little more careful now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling