Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 11:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times

Advertisements

There are 20 challenges. I can post them all but today I'm waiting for my roller skating bunch. We're skating our usual 10K but adding random "drop & plank" to the mix.

One challenge is to climb Five Fingers twice in one day. It's not a long climb but it's steep. I've never been so I'm looking forward to that. You can Google it.

Gotta roll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:37 PM

Here's the original post on the Street Skate Saturday fb page:
Ok here it is!! Listen up. This is your CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE Challenge! This is your MOTIVATION for the next 10 weeks people! I stole this idea and many of the challenges from another local RC running group, so you may see some others out there doing the same challenges (minus the skates). Reply that you're IN so I can put you on the spreadsheet and we will start this weekend. Even if you don't think you can do 10 of these, sign up anyway and see how many you can accomplish.

Build Your Own Adventure

For this challenge you'll find 20 items listed below. To MEET the challenge you must complete a minimum of 10. *Unless otherwise noted, each item is it's own separate entity to be completed and can not be combined with another challenge item on the list*

10 adventures met >> Successfully Done, KUDOS!
15 adventures met >> You OVER Achiever!!
Complete the whole damn list >> SUPER-NATURAL BADASS...DUDE!!!!

WHEN: Saturday Jan. 16 - End of March (10 weeks, no excuses!)
~ Unless otherwise noted within the item, the minimum distance is 2 miles.
~ Data and photos encouraged for each item completed.- Post in the group and TAG/mention me so I don't miss anything and can keep track. If you want to see the compilation list let me know and I'll share it.

1. Hike, walk or run at the Trona Pinnacles.

2. Hill sprints, x 5 minimum - OR - Suicides on Skates, x 10!! Once a week for 3 consecutive weeks, on the hills, or skate area, of your choice.

3. Find a nice smooth area for skating (the churches in RC and the one in IYK have great parking lots) and do skate footwork: turn stops, transitions, grapevines, shuffling, football feet, sprinting on toe stops from a stop (2-3 steps), c-cuts. Do 10 of each, both sides!

4. Your Neighborhood!! For this one, no map DATA is to be posted. However, you must post 2 or more photos of your surrounding area! So, get out the door for some mileage, let's see what's around your 'HOOD!

5. Skate 10 miles!

6. Skate your fastest 10k. (no loafin it!)

7. The Double! Run, hike, or skate in the morning and then an additional run, hike, or skate later in day.

8. Climb Five Fingers - TWICE in 1 day! (to the saddle & whatever your preferred route, since there's a few)

9. Hike a minimum 1 mile at the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, Death Valley. (1/2 mile out and then back will suffice - and believe it or not, that will feel like plenty!). If you do this I highly recommend you also go see Mosaic Canyon. It's gorgeous and.. well, since you're already there....

10. Get brave and go to a skate park and go down at least one ramp you haven't been able to do yet. I don't care if you fall, as long as you try it.

11. Summit Wildrose Peak OR Telescope Peak in Death Valley (approx 8.5 OR 14 miles respectively) !~Be aware of mountain condition and any potential road closure before heading out. Based on very recent posts (within the last week) it appears the road is currently open and trail is mostly clear - however, the hiker reports state very windy and cold. Again, do your own research before leaving out, try to go with at least 1 other person. If you are going solo, always make others aware of your plans.

12. That exercise that you absolutely HATE the most - do it 5x in one week! (i.e., squats, push-ups, biking, etc.)

13. Pick your PEAK or PASS! Backus - Morris - Jenkins - Owens - B Mountain - Red Mountain - Black Mountain - Olancha - Haiwee -Walker (open to others, let me know what you're thinking)

14. Night-time run/hike, at least 5x within the 10 week period.

15. STOP, DROP and PLANK! During any hike/run/skate - stop and plank 3 different times. *this item can be met while performing any other on-foot item in the list*

16. During any outing of your choice (skate/walk/hike/run/bike), sport a pair of cut-off blue jean shorts!
NOTE: PHOTO is mandatory for this one. *this item can be met while performing any other item in the list**play the game!

17. Hike or Run or Skate (if legal) at least 4 miles in a National Park of your choice. *if you complete item #11, you can check this one off of the list as well*

18. Pick-up at least 10 pieces of trash while outside doing your thing. This can be done over several weeks or in 1 outing. Post a pic & then put that damn trash where it belongs!

19. Hike, Run or Bike Indian Wells Canyon Road/Wilderness Area, minimum 5 miles.... the CATCH.... you have to follow it up at the Indian Wells Brewery with a BREW selfie or a BREWFIE. Soda Selfie is totally acceptable too, if you don't partake of the alcohol. *if you'd like to make this a double grab, this item can be worked hand-in-hand with #8, just may need to cover a bit more ground to get your 5 miles*

20. Complete a minimum of 180 miles throughout the entire challenge. Can be any combo of skate/hike/walk/run/bike miles. *no e-bike

Old 01-17-2021, 09:44 PM

So yesterday we knocked out #15, planking 3 (or maybe a couple more) times during out 10K street skate.

My abs are sore.

We went to 5 Fingers today. I'd never been even though it's really close to my house. I took it slowly with another lady who hasn't been working out. (she's on the roller derby team but...covid) We made it to the top. I might have been able to go again but I'll practice a little more on the steep climb.

It's about going twice in one day so if we climb in the morning, then come back later that afternoon, that still counts. The trail up is really good. I think dirt bikes use it. Gorgeous view at the top but I forgot my phone. Someone took a picture so I'll see that eventually.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Doing #1 this weekend.

I'm accumulating miles with my little dog circling the block at a jog, which is a mile.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:42 PM

Street Skate Saturday! 10K

Usually I'm not the slowest one there but I was today! Wow those girls wore me out!

We planked, too, so the ones that were absent last week could complete that challenge.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:10 PM

Did not hike. I've been a slug all day. My dogs hate me for not walking them. Will probably take them later.

I'm off to find the "what's for supper" thread to announce my plans for walnut chocolate chip pancakes. That will be in rebellion to the healthy boring food I've been eating.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:22 PM

My poor fitness challenge.
I got the 'rona. Yup. So I haven't skated in...seems like forever. I got over it, I guess. I still have some sinus issues and my ability to taste kind of comes and goes.

I'm not that concerned about the fitness challenge but I miss the heck out of skating!!

I should go today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals