Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm living vicariously through the exercise posts, as I'm recovering from foot surgery complications, but I hope to be back walking again at the end of summer. I can walk about 100-yds now! Woo hoo! I live 3-blocks from the ocean, so I don't want to miss another summer sitting inside with an elevated foot. Having another surgical procedure in June (spinal injectons to alleviate nerve pain in the foot) so please hold a good thought for me! In the meantime, keep up the good work everyone! You're my inspiration.

For something no one knows about me:

My 1st career was as a make-up artist/hairstylist for TV/film. No, it's not glamerous. Long hours, being onset at 6am, dealing with tempermental crew members. Yes, you do meet alot of famous folks & almost all are quite nice, but they're simple people in person who know how to turn on the flash on-camera. I was able to make a moderate living at it (I began at 18), but left for 2 reasons - I can't deal with the stress of being out of work each time I finish a job & have to pound the pavement to secure another booking, &, a back injury from a car accident left me unable to stand or carry 40-lbs of equipment & I had to leave what I loved to find a job with a guaranteed paycheck.

I still regret having to give it up. After all these years, it's still the only job I ever had where I was excited to get up & go to work.

Have fun... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
I started work monday, that is why I'm not posting as much. I work from 7 to 3. I've managed to take a walk every now and then. I did today.

As for work, it's pretty intensive in itself, lifting about 40+ pounds at any given time, temperatures over 90 degrees daily, big machines, loud noises, standing 5 or more hours a day, mass hysteria! =O (Ghostbusters moment)

Old 05-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
fuzzy actually both of my greyhounds are the biggest couch potato's you will ever meet. Most greyhounds sleep 14 to 16 hours a day. Remember when they are racing they on run twice a week for 30 seconds.

Kittenspurr thanks for the heads up I was thinking of getting an elliptical but didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that may end up in the "equipment graveyard"
karla
My pleasure, Karla. You have a beautiful house & your dog is lovely. I had a friend with a rescued greyhound. She had to find a large, empty park for him, so she could let him off his leash & he'd run in circles at top speed around the perimeter until you called him back. He'd sleep in a small circle & when I mentioned it, the answer broke my heart. She said, they're used to being in cages where they can't stand up, so are trained to take up little space. Gosh. Beautiful dogs though, aren't they?

Yes, don't forget freecycle. I gave away a perfectly working a/c, as a boyfriend placed it in the window at the beginning of one summer, was long gone by summer's end & come fall, I just needed to get anyone to take it out of the window so I could turn on the heat. $50 was the cheapest offer, so I gave it away for free saying if you take it out & carry it down 4-flights of stairs, you can have it. A man the size of Paul Bunyan showed up & took it. He carried it down the stairs as easy as I'd carry a bag of oranges. He sent me an email 1-yr later saying thank you & he was glad he had it during one tough heatwave. Very kind... VV

Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Well, I'm living vicariously through the exercise posts, as I'm recovering from foot surgery complications, but I hope to be back walking again at the end of summer. I can walk about 100-yds now! Woo hoo! I live 3-blocks from the ocean, so I don't want to miss another summer sitting inside with an elevated foot. Having another surgical procedure in June (spinal injectons to alleviate nerve pain in the foot) so please hold a good thought for me! In the meantime, keep up the good work everyone! You're my inspiration.

For something no one knows about me:

My 1st career was as a make-up artist/hairstylist for TV/film. No, it's not glamerous. Long hours, being onset at 6am, dealing with tempermental crew members. Yes, you do meet alot of famous folks & almost all are quite nice, but they're simple people in person who know how to turn on the flash on-camera. I was able to make a moderate living at it (I began at 18), but left for 2 reasons - I can't deal with the stress of being out of work each time I finish a job & have to pound the pavement to secure another booking, &, a back injury from a car accident left me unable to stand or carry 40-lbs of equipment & I had to leave what I loved to find a job with a guaranteed paycheck.

I still regret having to give it up. After all these years, it's still the only job I ever had where I was excited to get up & go to work.

Have fun... VV
Get well soon! Spinal injections... Sounds very disturbing. OUCHIES!

You should color my hair I want highlights! =)

Old 05-10-2007, 07:14 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
Hi All, Did my class this morning, Karla, my dog does the same thing with storms. We have never given her anything, she just hides under our bed!!
Foma, hope you ankle feels better soon.
kittenspurr, I can't believe it will be the end of summer before you are walking!! good luck with the procedure in June

Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
[quote=KittensPurr;697951]My pleasure, Karla. You have a beautiful house & your dog is lovely. I had a friend with a rescued greyhound. She had to find a large, empty park for him, so she could let him off his leash & he'd run in circles at top speed around the perimeter until you called him back. He'd sleep in a small circle & when I mentioned it, the answer broke my heart. She said, they're used to being in cages where they can't stand up, so are trained to take up little space. Gosh. Beautiful dogs though, aren't they?/QUOTE]

Kittens let me remove your concerns. Yes they are in crates in the racing kennels but the crates are large enough for them to stand up and turn around.
The dogs couldn't race if they were made to lay down all the time. Theri legs would cramp up. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about how they are treated, the truth is they live in air conditioned kennels are let out in big turn out pens 4 or 5 times a day, get fed fresh meat, pasta & greens mixed in their kibble. They also get whirlpools and massages.
I felt the same way when I first moved to FL then after I adopted my first greyhound I got involved with the adoption program and asked a lot of questions. The best way to explain it is what one kennel owner told me "If we don't treat them well they won't race well, if they don't race well my family doesn't eat."
I am surprised your friend let hers off leash unless it was in a fenced park. We have the folks that adopt sing a contract stating they will not let the dog offleash unless in a fenced area. They are sight-hounds and if a leaf or squirrel should run by they may chase it. I know I can't run 40 mph to try to catch them
So now that you know more about greyhounds that you probably wanted
One of the 3 things my hubby says never to get me started on the other 2 are plants and credit
I will get back on track(no pun intended ) lol

100 yrds counts especially since you have had surgery gold star time
we will keep good healing thoughts , amazing how the shot in the spine will help with foot pain. Will this hurt?
Will you have PT to go through?

karla

Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Ron & Millie -

Thank you for your good wishes. I really do appreciate it. All will be well...VV

Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Hi Karla -

No, I love it, thank you for sharing the grayhound info. I'm glad to hear they're treated so well. I feel MUCH better! Yes, sometimes rumors are spread. I believe alot of this info came from a scandal about 30-years ago when one of the dog racing places just outside of Boston had accusations made about the way they were mistreating their dogs. I don't recall the outcome. Oh, no worries, my friends did have their dog run in a fenced in place but that was also 25-yrs ago. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. Didn't mean to make you worry.

Thank you for the healing thoughts! I do believe in positive energy/prayers/thoughts making a huge difference in healing! Well, I don't want to bore everyone but this is a 4-yr problem & I hope it ends soon. It's so severe as I was misdiagnosed for the 1st 2-yrs. Many treatments, injections & PT later, they've finally diagnosed me as having the same syndrome as those who have phantom pain. The surgery removed the nerve but it left the surrounding nerves inflamed & the brain is still sending impulses that it hurts. It's horrific pain with literally every sensation in the foot - burning, sharp, swelling, shooting, feels like glass is being drawn across my toes... In any event, if it were painful, I'd do the injections anyway. Can't be worse than what I have & something different is needed. I'm very grateful that I now have neurologists who keep plugging away, trying new things.

Oh, & the best thing is this. They're treating the nerve pain with an epilepsy drug to correct the misfirings in the brain. In doing so, it took away my migranes, which I had for 14-yrs, as they too are caused by misfirings in the brain (with different things triggering them in different people). So, yes, good can come out of "bad", if I choose to view it that way.

You just wait, Karla. 4-mos & I'll be running like a grayhound! Then I need to work on finding someone to give me daily massages & whirlpools! Woo hoo!

Have fun... VV

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Karla, I like the greyhounds! Thx for sharing the pics. Today was great for bike commuting to work. 14 miles this morning to work, and 15 miles on the route back home. Temps here cooled back to normal with a nice ocean breeze rolling in from the Pacific.

Saw a crazy thing while pedaling home today, while stopped at a red light at a busy multi-lane 3 way intersection. Two ladies and the daughter of one stepped right out into the wide intersection against the red light and start crossing a four lane road with cars taking off to turn left into this road. I started waving my arms and yelling at them to stop, turn around, get back to the curb while the cars from the left turn lane came screeching to a halt just missing them. Oblivious to everything they continued crossing, the mom with a cell phone in the ear. They made it to the curb where I was still waiting for a green light and I said to the mom that people around here get killed crossing streets against red lights, cause somebody just did a couple of weeks earlier. She said to me that she was sorry, but didn't notice the light! I was stunned that all three did not get run down.

While walking / jogging / bike riding along the streets in town or in the country, please friends, pay attention to the traffic and to the traffic signals. Be safe out there!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Sorry I am late in posting, I got my five mile walk in today, I also sprayed the lawn for weeds, cleaned out my breezeway, and have been very busy today.
Tomorrow I will be painting my house so that it can be put on the market, and I hope it sells fast after that. I lost six pounds so far just by walking and watching what and how much I eat.
I will also be quitting smoking tomorrow, I do have one unopened pack for a back up, but plan on giving it my best!!!! Put in some prayers for me that it will be easier for me this time. Talk to you all soon, and have a good night. Yorkie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals