Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

I actually just got done with the 'here a leaf, there a leaf' exercise. It's a golden crisp day and I was too antsy to stay in front of the computer and the front lawn's been buried under a pile of fallen leaves and pine needles for quite some time, so I got out the rake and wheel barrow and had at it.

Raking seems a fine exercise. Lots of reaching, pulling, twisting, bending, lifting, pulling, toting...after a couple of hours I was pretty sweaty and thoughts of the gym had retreated. I suspect I burned up a goodly amount of calories--and the lawn looks much better. So that's my exercise for the day, except for a walk with the dog around sunset...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
Evening all, I know it is late and you all are probably busy but wanted to check in and see what your last two days have been like.
Happy belated birthday Patti, wow your hubby spoils you!!! That is okay, it made for a very nice birthday and what a mother load of presents you got!
Evey, where is it you two are looking. I know it must be in FL, your hubby really likes it there. I have looked over by Karla, and there are bank owned at pretty good prices, just not sure of the area's. Anyway good luck! The worse part is over, getting someone to buy a home in today's times is not an easy task.
Karla, thanks for the "huggs" for Amy. I did not say anything to her last week on what you were doing. I'm going to bring in my camera on the day I give them to her, I know she will love them.
I did okay in Montgomery eating wise, and I actually went up and down 3 flights of stairs three times a day, so I at least attempted a start to the new beginnings we are going to achieve! Tomorrow I will hit the gym after I get home from work!
See everyone tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
morning all
welcome to the exercise thread LittleDolphin !! tell us a little about yourself I agree that leaf raking is really good exercise !!

Welcome home Sandy did yo have a nice time in Montgomery ?

Pattie I found the trick with the elliptical (other than throw ir out the front door lol thats how sore I was last night) is to go slow at first almost like your taking a nice walk then build it up

Fuzzy I had to chuckle over the opening the door to the leaves guy. I always managed to get "busted" when I am at my sweatiest mess the door rings and of course I am the official door opener at our house

There was quite the lingering lemon zing in the lemon pepper I do like poultry seasoning so I may have to try that on the pork

off to go start todays threads see you all soon

Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks for your gracious welcome! Nice to be here with you.

Since you asked, here's some 'stuff' about me.

I'm a mid-aged woman now living in a small town after having left one years ago and moved to a big city for many years. Love my new community and friends. Have a wonderful DH. And one spoiled elder dog. I love all animals, domestic and wild. Had a 21 year old cat, Wolfe, whom I still miss.

I'm a freelance writer by trade. Write for the Web, magazines, newspapers, and am working on a novel. Am involved in the best writer's group in the universe!! Very fortunate. Harder and harder to find writing assignments with the economic downturn right now. Boo hoo!!

As far as exercise, I must have it! Without it, I have trouble sleeping and get tense. My body craves it. My blood pressure and pulse rise when I don't exercise.

I am a long-time gym goer, have one within a bike ride from my house and I go 4-5 times a week. I'm exploring interval training on the bikes there but usually do 30 minutes on a treadmill and a round of the weight machines. Have a weekly yoga practice with a great group of women.

Bicycling is a favorite activity for me, and I run many of my errands on my bike. Living in a flat, coastal place makes pedaling quite easy. Have a big basket on the bike for toting home groceries.

My exercise goal is to stay healthy and fit, and not so much for looking fabulous, which I sure don't though I'm in pretty decent shape and maintain my weight--which is ten pounds more than I'd ideally like to be, but I'm truly comfortable with that.

Food-wise, I'm 90% vegetarian--guess that makes me a flextarian??--and have found that's about the right mix for my particular chemistry.

My cooking gets creative with beans and legumes and the produce of the season. But I'm not a zealot on the topic. When I start craving a hamburger--or BBQ ribs--I'll have them with no guilt, but massive quantities of meat leave me feeling uncomfortable so it's a rare occasion when I have red meat. Chicken is common, as are fish.

But usually, I'll whip up something like a Caribbean black bean and sweet potato stew and be happy with that. And I love inventing creative salads with great assorted greens, walnuts, cranberries, a little blue cheese and avocados when they're affordable. A honey mustard red wine vinegar dressing I make is a favorite in our house.

Don't do fast foods other than Subway and don't ever fry anything. No soda at all, diet or otherwise. Drink lotsa water and fruit or vegetable juice once in a while. Very light drinker but do enjoy a glass of red wine with meals sometimes, especially Italian food.

What else can I share?

Like everyone else, sometimes I struggle with motivation and have to kick myself hard to get to the gym, but once there I'm happy for having some 'my time,' and afterward I just feel so relaxed all over that I want to repeat the effort to get to that result again.

So that's me. Pretty happy go lucky. Exercise keeps me from worrying too much, keeps me tuned.

Sending you smiles across the miles!

--LittleD

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Thanks for sharing, LittleD. I love to read. What genre is your novel??

Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks for asking..! I'm wild about books, too--and happy that winter, the best reading season, is upcoming. Nothing beats, in my happy place, a good book and a hot cup of tea--or hot chocolate.

My book's a work of futuristic fiction..not science fiction, though. More modern woman meets the future..my idea of the future. It's a sweet place, actually.

This is a bit of a new genre for me...In addition to the magazine and Web work, I've been published in one fiction anthology (Love on a Harley) and one non-fiction anthology (Nobody's Mother), but have not written a full-length work until now...gosh it's a big venture!

24 chapters under my belt--a third remains to be written. My writing group keeps me going--they demand new chapters!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for asking..! I'm wild about books, too--and happy that winter, the best reading season, is upcoming. Nothing beats, in my happy place, a good book and a hot cup of tea--or hot chocolate.
Maybe a glass of wine!

Seriously....best of luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks, I'll drink to that!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
Welcome Little Dolphin, you sound like such an interesting person..........a writer, what a special talent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals