Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 AM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,440,608 times

Advertisements

Rise and shine! It's a glorious Saturday! I'd like to know if you read food labels, and if so, what's the first thing you look for? As always, tell us what you ate (or will eat) today!

Fabulous Food Fact: Sugar free and fat free foods are often compensated with unhealthy ingredients and are just as high in calories in many cases. For more food label scams, read the source (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/how-read-nutrition-label - broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
I read food labels.
I know about looking for Whole grain. And yes, the eye-catching word 'natural'
does not mean organic.
I look for sodium, various sugars (such as the ubiquitous corn syrup) and fats.
I also try to avoid stuff like sodium nitrates.
Basically, the less processed the food is, the better.
I'd rather eat Food than Food Products.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,318,457 times
I read food labels more than before. i bought some jam and then learned it was made with corn syrup, so now i buy jam at an Amish Cheese Store. I also found that artifical sweeteners make my mind go haywire, so I have to read labels. I get organic whenever I can. And I don't use soy anymore because of what I read about it and thyroid problems, so again i have to read labels.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,128,060 times
I've been reading labels, but honestly, a lot of it just goes over my head. I look for the familiar words - sodium, fat, saturated, trans, that type of stuff. I find that when some items are really good on one thing, they mess up on another so you never get just exactly right.

I eat a lot and I really don't watch it very much. I TRY to get SOME things healthier than others but I will eat things I really like (cheese, butter, chocolate, etc) and don't sacrifice my urges. I'm sure it will all catch up with me worse than it has been already. I'm just not at the point where it's a MAJOR issue.

I had my coffee this morning, later than usual, and so far I've had about 8 rice crackers with ham salad. I'm planning on making some scrambled eggs in a few.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,178,539 times
O.K., I am going to answer yesterday's question first. I have been putting a lot of thought into how to answer that one. For me, eating healthy means meals that do not make me feel bloated, heavy or ill afterwards and also does not leave me foraging around in the kitchen 30-60 minutes later.

Now, today's question. I have been a label reader for many years. I am allergic to Aspartame, so I look for it. I also have migraine. I have several food triggers, so I am always on the lookout for those as well.

4 years ago I adopted a dog who has a laundry list of food allergies. I have had to educate myself a little bit. Processed foods of any kind are usually pretty scary. I look for glutens of any kind. If I don't see actual FOOD in the first 3 ingredients I will usually put it back on the shelf.

It is almost 11 in the morning and I am just stopping long enough for my first cup of tea. I will have to find some food here directly......

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,081,980 times
I read food labels. In the past I didn't but now I do.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,440,608 times
I'll just plan on reading what vp ate, and then eating that in the morning. I read scrambled eggs and decided this is what I'll have for breakfast with coffee and water.

I do read food labels, and look for trans fats, sugars, and hydroginated oil.

Evey - Do you avoid gluton even without an allergy? Is there a reason why. Just wondering if there were health benefits to it. I really don't understand the gluten-free diet, except that I know some can't have it. A friend was telling me last night that she knew someone with an ADHD child, and this woman removed gluten, wheat, and dairy from his diet, and he didn't have ADHD anymore.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,178,539 times
Actually my dog has a wheat allergy, and I began to notice that wheat gluten is in many processed foods, as is corn gluten. I find that foods that contain these products tend to have very little nutritional value.

Shadow is allergic to wheat, eggs, lamb, liver and chicken. I try not to bring these things into the house, as my husband will feed the dog whatever he is eating. I did notice that I felt better when I started eating more single ingredient foods.

I try to eat better, but it is hard with a mouth full of sweet teeth and now that I am working again time has once again become an issue.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,128,060 times
OH Jco... sorry about that. I got lazy and had a bowl of Healthy cereal (Kellog's Special K with the red things) with organic 1% milk. But then about 2 hrs later, I had a Panini (Lean Cuisine stuff). They're VERY good. :-))

Don't copy my dinner tonite. It'll be hot dogs, chips and soda (going to a baseball game) :0

Old 08-18-2007, 02:03 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,049,222 times
hi everyone

lets see do I read labels hmmm sometimes

breakfast lol well hubby and I cooked
we made jimmy dean sausage patties for him (lol another of my nope don't eat it foods)
I scrambled some eggs with cheese and bacon bits.
homefries and toast.
lunch well lol after that breakfast I was not hungry for lunch

Just got home form waterproof jacket shopping for our trip it was just to weird trying on jackets when it is in the 90s but the weather is saying it will be highs of 60's when we are up there.

Had some more honeydew and some of the 40% reduced fat chips yum sweet and salty combo.
on bottle 5 of water for the day They are 22 oz bottles.

dinner beats the heck out of me lol

I can tell you though that I am not sleeping in tomorrow morning I really miss my 2 to 3 hours first thing in the morning.

I will check in later

karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals