Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times

Advertisements

Hello!!

Apols for yet another quit smoking thread. been a passive reader of these forums for a while. when i decided to quit, and needed some place for daily accountability, i figured why not here. i have been doing half pack a day for 10 years. the longest i have stopped during that period is one month. I have signed up for the nyc triathlon next year, and there is exactly 220 days left..i cant imagine a better motivation to help me quit

Day 1, 14 hrs in...so far so good. when i have tried to quit before recently, and noticied that i can go for most of the first day with out much trouble. my cravings really only kick in the evening. it gets unbelievably hard for me then, and thats when i usually give up. i need to make it happen today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piok_opze View Post
Hello!!

Apols for yet another quit smoking thread. been a passive reader of these forums for a while. when i decided to quit, and needed some place for daily accountability, i figured why not here. i have been doing half pack a day for 10 years. the longest i have stopped during that period is one month. I have signed up for the nyc triathlon next year, and there is exactly 220 days left..i cant imagine a better motivation to help me quit

Day 1, 14 hrs in...so far so good. when i have tried to quit before recently, and noticied that i can go for most of the first day with out much trouble. my cravings really only kick in the evening. it gets unbelievably hard for me then, and thats when i usually give up. i need to make it happen today
I used to smoke two to three packs a day. That was for almost thirty years. I tried unsuccessfully to quit many times. Finally; my wife quit first. She nagged me for about a year. I was also starting to cough pretty good and every once in a while I coughed up blood. I had good motivation to quit.

I choose to quit New Years Eve at midnight. I got rid of all my cigarettes and used butts. I had one patch. The first three days were the worst. I would put the patch on when I had to remove my fingernails from the sheetrock. I kept it on only for about fifteen minutes - until I calmed down and the urge subsided. Even though I got over the hump - I still had to watch my key times. My key times were right after a meal or driving on the road (I was a truck driver which did not help).

I have been smoke free for over twelve years. I did put on a little weight. I also lost friends and gained friends - you don’t realize how bad you smell until you give up smoking (especially; with the quantity of cigarettes that I smoked). It is a lot easier to clean the house - no more nicotine stains on windows, walls and everything else. I also feel a lot better and got my wind back.

How did you make out - how are you doing?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piok_opze View Post
Hello!!

if the cravings get too hard, get some nicotine gum or go buy a patch the lowest or med. strength. just don't smoke, each puff you have has to be detoxed out. the other important factor to be successful is to change your thinking about smoking. do not allow yourself to think it is anything other then the poison that it is. there are also some good on line support one is at about dot com, good luck you can do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals