Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
240!!?? That's awesome!!! That is a lot of cigarettes you've avoided smoking. And a lot of money saved! Don't think about when you fail and have one, think about when you succeed and don't have one. You can do it!
Thank you! I do have one here and there but again, I'm not even close to smoking like I used to.

Today, milestone...MILE. STONE. I went the entire day at work and thought about cigarettes only twice. The first time was when someone brought it up to me, they were congratulating me for working on being a non smoker. Naturally, I wanted one. lol

And on the way home, again...these idiots, I swear! What is wrong with them!? If it says 55 mph, may we PLEASE go 55 mph? I want to go HOME! But today, it was slow people going 20 under the speed limit. Just when I finally would get around them or they would turn off, another idiot would pull out in front of me from some side road. Why would you do that if you're turning on to a HIGHWAY where people are traveling 55mph?!?!

I had one then. Dealing with morons on the road for an hour and a half and NOT smoking when one HAS smoked for a long time is Hurculean strength that I just do not have at this moment.

BUT, aside from those two times, I pretty much didn't think about smoking at all today. HEY! How about that?! That's progress!

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 260
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM

I'm too worn out to say much more than...

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 280.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,435,452 times
OP, smoking is a physical addiction. You may need more than willpower to quit. If you can access a doctor, I'd suggest asking for his/her assistance in stopping.

A program of weaning off of the nicotine gradually may be the most effective method in the long-run, and minimize any mental or physical symptoms of the withdrawal. Health insurance may pay for a stop-smoking program. Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this, as I haven't read all the posts.

Lotsa luck.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM

I am weaning myself off the nicotine gradually...which is why I'm no longer smoking a pack a day.

Again, wiped out...total cigarettes NOT smoked: 300.

Three. hundred. fricken. cigs.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,732,717 times
It takes 7-10 days to get nicotene out of your body, after complete abstinence. That is why I used Chantix because it removes the desire to take a drag. 45 year smoker who tried every method under the sun is now 5 years w/o a cigarette.
I can only tell you what worked for me.
Hope Note: After 30 days it was a lot better. After 6 months the desire was basically gone. Today it has absolutely no power in my life, whatsoever.
Pat yourself on the back and keep on trudgin - this too shall pass !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks pawporri.

Today I did pretty good...but that's because I slept almost the entire day. The new job started this week and I have 3 hours commute time let alone the actual work day, (which is 8.5 hours...make it 9 since I get there a half an hour early). I am mentally fatigued because of all of the information being shoved in to my head, I'm physically tired because of the hours, (I have to get up so early and I'm not a morning person...no matter how much sleep I get...it wears on me!!), and I do a lot of walking as we go from one place to the next to the next to the next to the next, learning, learning, learning.

I was wiped out by the end of the week and today, I just couldn't get off my tail to do anything except take care of the pets....and then back to bed. It's almost 9pm, I've been up about 3 hours today. Sad.

BUT, it meant the no smoking thing was easier. Hmmm, I should market this. I'll build a "retreat"...a "rehab" center for those wanting to quit and I'll just have them sleep for a month. Bam! You're cured!

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 320.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,732,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks pawporri.

Today I did pretty good...but that's because I slept almost the entire day. The new job started this week and I have 3 hours commute time let alone the actual work day, (which is 8.5 hours...make it 9 since I get there a half an hour early). I am mentally fatigued because of all of the information being shoved in to my head, I'm physically tired because of the hours, (I have to get up so early and I'm not a morning person...no matter how much sleep I get...it wears on me!!), and I do a lot of walking as we go from one place to the next to the next to the next to the next, learning, learning, learning.

I was wiped out by the end of the week and today, I just couldn't get off my tail to do anything except take care of the pets....and then back to bed. It's almost 9pm, I've been up about 3 hours today. Sad.

BUT, it meant the no smoking thing was easier. Hmmm, I should market this. I'll build a "retreat"...a "rehab" center for those wanting to quit and I'll just have them sleep for a month. Bam! You're cured!

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 320.
My gal used QuitNet to help count and get positive feedback. You may want to check it out and sign up. It's free. Your busy schedule is perfect to occupy you in your early stage. One other note - when the urge comes it usually only lasts for several minutes and then it will wane. It too will pass and the longer you keep doing it the less often the tempter will come and the weaker he will get.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM

Today I realized how much I have saved since I haven't been buying cartons of smokes. By this time, I would have bought two...which is like $140 or so. (Give or take.)

Instead, I used some of that money to buy healthier foods instead of cigarettes. At first I was a little anxious about my grocery bill until I remembered, "But I'm not buying cartons...so I'm still saving money AND eating better. Win win!"

Oh and yes, it's still hard. This is what...working towards week 3? It's still hard...mostly at night. I can get through the day pretty well at work because I'm busy, busy, busy. But at night, when I finally get home, get the pets fed, the dogs their bathroom break, me in my pajamas and ready for bed...it's hard. I won't say I have not had a single cigarette at those times because I have.

What I have NOT been doing is smoking a pack a day. I have not smoked a half pack a day. I have not smoked 1/4 pack a day. I might have one, sometimes two. That's it. And it's KIND of easier...I've actually gone through a couple of days at work where I didn't think about smoking much at all. Considering I would watch the clock like a hawk in the past, waiting for my 2 hours or 2 and 1/2 hours to pass so I could have a smoke, that's huge progress. It's baby steps with this...and I'm getting there.

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 340.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,837,185 times
Just remember, that 7-day magic number doesn't start until you have a day with -zero- cigarettes.

From that day, your body will need 7 days to clear itself of the addictive qualities that draw you to another smoke.

If you have even a puff of one cigarette in any given day, that counter will start from 0 again and you'll suffer for the next 7 days. And think about it - it's true, because one puff feeds that fix you need. It gives you nicotine.

Try to keep that in mind when you have a whole day without a smoke. Hold the thought in your head: Tomorrow I can start counting just seven more days. And the next day, you only have to count six more days. The next, merely five. Five days without a cigarette.

How many -years- have you been smoking? Surely you can stand five days, six days, seven days!

Basically, you have to psych yourself up for it. Don't fight with yourself. Be your own best cheerleader.

The Chantix worked for me and Pawporri, but not everyone is able to tolerate the medication. But we're cheering you on - you just have to be the Squad Captain! GO GO GO!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Again, I refuse to take a pill.

Thanks Anon, 'preciate it.

Another looooong day...I was jonesing pretty hard when I finally got done with work and smoked two on the way home.

Despite what anyone thinks, I'm still doing WAY better than I ever did before. It may not be your way, but it's my way and there is progress.

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 360
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals