Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM

30,423 posts, read 23,880,742 times

Advertisements

Well today I sucked as Squad Captain. I don't know, everything just seemed to irritate the carp out of me today.

I had three. Not a good day.

Nonetheless, that is still 360 cigs I have NOT smoked....there's that, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM

I forgot to update yesterday.

Yesterday was...irritating. Not because of not smoking...just...eh, people. And I was not the only one irritated..one person was so mad they didn't even want to talk to anyone and stormed out of work. I totally understood why they were so mad hence why I was irritated, as well...what went on. But whatever.

So I did have a few on the way home from work because you know, I just didn't even care I was so fricken irritated yesterday. It was a damn good reason TO be irritated, not some piddly thing and I did what felt good to get myself out of that mood.

I'm sure there are many other ways to get over being annoyed and irritated beyond belief but I would not have listened to a soul, yesterday, in regards to those methods.

So yesterday wasn't perfect either. HOWEVER, I'm still NOT smoking like I was. I haven't thrown my hands up in the air and said, "forget it" and gone back to my pack a day habit. I haven't even done a half pack a day habit. The fact is, I have cut down significantly and while I'm not 'perfect' at this, I'm getting there.

Between yesterday and the day before, I probably did 7 -10. Better than 40. No, it's not 0. It's not going to be 0 for a long time. I have my days where I don't do well and I have my days where I do really good. It's a process, it's MY process and I'm getting there...slowly. Very slowly. The fact I keep at it says something.

Let's see...total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 390

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks pawporri.

Today I did pretty good...but that's because I slept almost the entire day. The new job started this week and I have 3 hours commute time let alone the actual work day, (which is 8.5 hours...make it 9 since I get there a half an hour early). I am mentally fatigued because of all of the information being shoved in to my head, I'm physically tired because of the hours, (I have to get up so early and I'm not a morning person...no matter how much sleep I get...it wears on me!!), and I do a lot of walking as we go from one place to the next to the next to the next to the next, learning, learning, learning.

I was wiped out by the end of the week and today, I just couldn't get off my tail to do anything except take care of the pets....and then back to bed. It's almost 9pm, I've been up about 3 hours today. Sad.

BUT, it meant the no smoking thing was easier. Hmmm, I should market this. I'll build a "retreat"...a "rehab" center for those wanting to quit and I'll just have them sleep for a month. Bam! You're cured!

Total cigarettes I have NOT smoked: 320.
Good job, Three Wolves in Snow! I am a fairly recent quitter myself--one year on December 12, and that first month was the hardest. I thought the same--if I could just sleep through the withdrawal, I'd be fine.

I'm shocked to see that someone in the land of Moose and Blueberries has the same commute as I do, a Jersey person! That's somewhat normal for us, but Maine? (I'm guessing). Also have the long day + the commute. It sucks, but you do what you have to do.

Anyway, keep going. It does feel really good to be able to say you're a non-smoker, and I was a smoker for 35 years. Nice to not spend that money.

As a matter of fact, it's been a few months since I checked in on Quitnet to see my number of cigs not smoked. Think I'll do that.

Update: 6955 cigarettes not smoked. Wow. I never in a million years thought I'd be a nonsmoker.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,452,898 times
The issue on quitting anything is "set and setting", meaning, when do you smoke? And where? For a lot of people who smoke, just getting in the car triggers the desire to smoke, because that is what they always did when getting on the car. Solution: no cigs in car, no ashtray, have car professionally cleaned, gets smoke odor out, get rid of ash tray, and trigger a new habit when getting in the car...like chewing gum, turning on radio...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,736,590 times
Many people have quit with the weaning method. I tried many times and, for me, it was worse than being drawn & quartered. I had to get nicotene out of my system or I would be living in a continuous state of withdrawl and never make it to the last cigarette. I also used Quit Net like MQ and it was a great support system along with Chantix which enabled me to stop cold turkey because it removed the enjoyment from the cigarettes. 5 years on January 4th. after 45 years of a pack a day.
My monthly cost today would be nearly $300.00. That's my new car payment in which I can now enjoy the smell of "Fine Corinthian Leather" as Ricardo (Khan) Montolban used to say !!!!

Last edited by Pawporri; 11-26-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM

7,161 posts, read 12,728,745 times
Curious at no further postings..did End the Smoking project end?

Hope everything is okay...

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Curious at no further postings..did End the Smoking project end?

Hope everything is okay...
No. Sorry, my new job is realllllly time consuming and I'm just flat out exhausted during the week. I think about coming to CD or I do and think I'm going to post after I read a few things and then respond to a few and pass out, or just am too tired to type or....listen, I'm just beyond fatigued these days.

No I have not given up the project.

The only time I'm failing is in the car. When I FINALLY get done for the day, and my brain feels like it's going to explode from information overload, and I realize I still have to deal with people on the road for another hour and a half + well...sometimes I have a cig. Sometimes I have two. Some days...I have three.

During the work day, no smoking. I'm doing really well with that, actually. I'm surprised how well I'm doing with that. It's becoming my new "habit". (Well, that and chewing Trident sugarless cinammon gum..by the pack full!) This is big because before this job, I NEVER took a break without having a smoke. And lunch break? That used to mean skipping lunch and smoking three cigs in a half an hour. Not anymore.

Soon my shifts will go to 12 + hours. I'm doing 8.5 pretty darn good...I'm hoping I do the 12 pretty darn good. Just have to work on the driving one...which, Jasper brings up a great idea. Get that car cleaned, inside and out, get the smoke smell out of there, I won't want to reek it all up again. I like that idea. It's how I feel about my clothes now. That's not going to happen until mid January when the money I earn I finally get to keep, (rent comes first), but it's something I'm going to look in to, for sure.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,452,898 times
The car seems to be a huge trigger for lots of smokers. I personally have a theory that smokers actually have ADHD, and actually smoke to self medicate. Being in a car is enclosed, and hyper folks, are stuck. They crave some sort of gross motor activity. Smoking allows activity and also the nicotine self medicates and calms the person down...

Just a theory....glad you have not smoked at lunch or at work...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM

17,600 posts, read 16,733,068 times
I quit over a decade ago. I had a few slip ups early on but for the most part I went cold turkey.

It sounds as though you are doing really well at work, which is great. Just the fact that you are getting through the day like that means that you can do this. You can quit.

Now for a couple of suggestions:

1) Stop cheating in the car. Suck on a mentholated cough drop instead. Maybe suck on some sunflower seeds, crack them with your teeth.

2) When you get home. Go on a slow 1/2 mile jog or walk if that feels better.

Within 30 days, you will be done with smoking and you will be running that 1/2 mile and feeling damned good (or at least it'll be fairly easy for you, even if you don't love running).

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM

37,275 posts, read 41,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. Sorry, my new job is realllllly time consuming and I'm just flat out exhausted during the week. I think about coming to CD or I do and think I'm going to post after I read a few things and then respond to a few and pass out, or just am too tired to type or....listen, I'm just beyond fatigued these days.

No I have not given up the project.

The only time I'm failing is in the car. When I FINALLY get done for the day, and my brain feels like it's going to explode from information overload, and I realize I still have to deal with people on the road for another hour and a half + well...sometimes I have a cig. Sometimes I have two. Some days...I have three.

During the work day, no smoking. I'm doing really well with that, actually. I'm surprised how well I'm doing with that. It's becoming my new "habit". (Well, that and chewing Trident sugarless cinammon gum..by the pack full!) This is big because before this job, I NEVER took a break without having a smoke. And lunch break? That used to mean skipping lunch and smoking three cigs in a half an hour. Not anymore.

Soon my shifts will go to 12 + hours. I'm doing 8.5 pretty darn good...I'm hoping I do the 12 pretty darn good. Just have to work on the driving one...which, Jasper brings up a great idea. Get that car cleaned, inside and out, get the smoke smell out of there, I won't want to reek it all up again. I like that idea. It's how I feel about my clothes now. That's not going to happen until mid January when the money I earn I finally get to keep, (rent comes first), but it's something I'm going to look in to, for sure.
Get the hand exerciser thingy to keep in the car.

Some audio books really help the commute go faster, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals